1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Few questions

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by scshtx, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Apr 21, 2017 at 3:11 PM
    scshtx

scshtx [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    2002 DC 4x4 TRD
    Got a 2002 DC TRD OR (4x4) coming in and starting to plan on what lift I'm going to get. I'm not sure how much of a lift I would like yet. Prob 2-2.5" or so. I've read the FAQ and still have a few questions (the links to toyotanation just take me to front page of the forum btw)...

- Is there already some kind of "go-to" lift kit for someone that does not want to spend too much?

- Can I just have bilstein 5100 shocks in the front and add-a-leaf in the rear? Or just 5100 shocks in the front and rear? What would these look like if so? Which is better in your opinion if so?

-What would be the difference if I did bilstein 5100 in front in rear with an add-a-leaf vs the two scenario described above?

- In the "possible issues" part of the FAQ, it says you may need a set of UCA's to fix alignment. And after little research UCA's are apparently several hundred dollars. Is this common to need after getting the lift installed?

All info is appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. Apr 26, 2017 at 3:36 AM
    Dragons Taco

Dragons Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD-S 4WD 4D 6SPD and MINE!
    Can ya spell Tonneau
    Springs and hardware provide lift. Shocks do not. 5100's have a ring that provides preload or places the bottom of the spring at different points creating lift. Properly sized shocks allow your lift to articulate. If you put an aal or large springs on then you potentially need longer shocks to control that new spring arrangement.
    You are doing the right thing. Read read read.

3. Apr 26, 2017 at 1:16 PM
    scshtx

scshtx [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    2002 DC 4x4 TRD
    Thanks for the response man. Helped a bit. Still a lot of reading to do lol.

4. Apr 26, 2017 at 1:53 PM
    Dragons Taco

Dragons Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD-S 4WD 4D 6SPD and MINE!
    Can ya spell Tonneau
    You are welcome.
    By the way, if you like to sit back and watch videos, Filthy Motorsports have some really good ones. While they are selling some really expensive Kings equipment, the information is spot on and applies to any suspension. They have lots of videos on their channel but this one will get you started.

Products Discussed in

To Top