1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FICO's new scoring model likely widens gap between borrowers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Evlkarl, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Feb 7, 2020 at 1:57 PM
    Evlkarl

Evlkarl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Devil,s Bum Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 black SR5
    nothing big yet Tac Bar K@N Filter Side Steps
    Fair Isaac Corp. says the latest update to its widely used credit scoring system will likely widen the gap between the number of borrowers with sterling credit and those with spotty records.

Though FICO says the changes will be modest for most consumers, it could mean added pressure on subprime borrowers while customers with FICO scores above 680 will likely see a boost in scores.

https://www.autonews.com/finance-in...ing-model-likely-widens-gap-between-borrowers

2. Feb 7, 2020 at 6:45 PM
    Marshall R

Marshall R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshall
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD double cab
    none
    Yea, the timing sucks a little for me. I was in the upper 700's and took a temporary hit. I paid off a small student loan on my son in December and my home in January. Which means I will have a lot less going out and between my wife and I got about $200/month raise in January. I find out a week ago that my score went down slightly.

We always run up a little CC dept around Christmas, but pay it off by March. In fact we will be completely debt free by summer. The way the new scores are calculated that CC debt carries a lot more weight than paying off the loans. I'm not terribly concerned, the cards will be paid off next month and we aren't planning on borrowing any money anyway. My score will go back up shortly, probably higher than before.

3. Feb 8, 2020 at 8:57 AM
    Itchyfeet

Itchyfeet Well-Known Member

Member:
    You paid off the loans and that's why your score dropped.

Don't live for a credit score. The scoring model IMO is highly flawed. A guy I know brags about his credit score, but we all know he's over extended.

whatstcp, In&out, PzTank and 2 others like this.
  4. Feb 8, 2020 at 9:16 AM
    KY_Rob

KY_Rob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    North East Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB TRD-OR 6MT
    OEM: TRD Pro Grille & Garnish, TRD Pro Skid Plate, TRD Pro Rear Tail Lights, Tailgate Remote Lock, Black Chrome Exhaust Tip, Black Emblem Overlays, Bed Mat Vorra65 AC Drain Mod Kit FBC Harness Solutions (aka daveeasa) D-I-R Harness with Aux out Total Chaos Bed Stiffners Taco Garage Dashtop Multi-Mount MESO: Gashole, Total Tails Stg1, V5 Switchback Mirror Turn Signals, HitchPod + S1, Vent Rings AJT Designs: Radio Knobs, Door Handle Covers Black Forest Industries Shift Knob for R8…using an adapter MountainHatch Tailgate Insert KTJO4x4 Drivers Side Grab Handle Cali Raised Catalytic Converter Shields BajaDesigns NextGen Squadron SAE Amber fogs Bilstein 6112 Front & 5160 Rear ICON Add-A-Leaf pack ICON Sway Bar Relocation Blocks ECGS Bushing 17” SEMA Gunmetal Gray Wheels with LT255/75R17 KO2’s Active Off-Road U-Bolt Flip Kit w/Timbren Bump Stops Redline Elite Hood Struts
    There’s nothing Fair about Issac whatsoever! Don’t get me wrong, my credit score is fine, and so is the wife’s...but there’s certainly MAJOR issues with the whole process. Sadly, it’s the rules we must live within if we need credit.

First time I realized how flawed the system was, my wife was a stay-at-home mom. While she didn’t earn much money at all for several years, she still used the credit cards she’d opened before we got married. I paid them (all on time) as I was the primary money earner.

When we went to buy my first new Taco (many moons ago now), her credit score was actually higher than mine by almost 30 points...and the woman earned less than a few thousand dollars over the previous 6-7 years. I’d been paying for virtually everything.

Because her credit score was higher, we actually saved money on the interest rate for the truck loan having her appear first on the title and loan app...even though she hadn’t had a job outside of the house that earned much money at all for years. That was proof enough for me that the credit bureaus and LexusNexus’s of the world are a guess at best, and very likely a complex scam.

5. Feb 8, 2020 at 9:52 AM
    Evlkarl

Evlkarl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Devil,s Bum Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 black SR5
    nothing big yet Tac Bar K@N Filter Side Steps
    Lately it seems like if you do the right thing you get screwed big times as a little guy while all them poop noses in Dc get richer by the minute. Maybe it always was like that and I never caught on because I was younger and never gave a Rats Bum about it but now it bugs the heck out of me.:mad::mad:

KY_Rob likes this.
  6. Feb 9, 2020 at 5:46 AM
    Marshall R

Marshall R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshall
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD double cab
    none
    Yea, I got a notice from the bank that one of my CC's is on and they gave a more detailed explanation of the changes and that was the primary reason. I don't worry a lot about my score, It's always good enough, but I get notices from 2 different CC companies monthly and keep up with mine. It always takes a slight dip as we take on a little debt around Christmas, but goes back up in a couple of months when the cards are paid off. This is the biggest drop I've had though.

But where it bites is that insurance companies base the rates you pay at least party on your credit rating. They do random spot checks and a couple of years ago it happened during a time when my score and taken a slight dip. My car insurance went up slightly, about $10-$15 monthly on 3 vehicles.

Within 2-3 days of my insurance going up my credit score was reevaluated and went up significantly. But that was AFTER the insurance company looked at it. And once they go up on rates they never come back down. This is my only worry, if my insurance company does a spot check before my score goes back up I may see another rate increase. And if I do, I may look for another insurance company.

7. Feb 14, 2020 at 3:14 AM
    Fire Arrow

Fire Arrow Hanging out at work

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black DCSB SR sold, 21 Tundra Limited MGM
    I would like someone to try an explain the link between a credit score and how a person drives. Having done other reading about the scoring I have seen use your credit and your score goes down because of a higher utilization factor. Don't use and any your score goes down because you have all the credit line available to use .

8. Feb 14, 2020 at 4:13 AM
    t2ch

t2ch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Va.
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR
    The way it was explained to me:
    Insurance companies use credit scores to see what type of person you are. Do you pay your bills, pay your debt, etc. I would say most people who pay their debt and pay on time are considered "responsible" in the eyes of the insurance companies.

9. Feb 14, 2020 at 4:24 AM
    AddicTioN

AddicTioN Forklift technician

Member:
    First Name:
    wyatt
    north carolina mountains
    Vehicle:
    2020 dclb off road
  10. Feb 14, 2020 at 4:45 AM
    Superhulk LB

Superhulk LB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 superwhite DCLB off road
    Tonneau cover, Black exhaust tip, blacked out badges and tailgate lettering. Black rhino(glamis)18x9 wheels with +12 offset. LT265/70/18 Toyo Opencountry ATIII. Metaltech 4x4 rock sliders Cali Raised lower grill light bar/mounts TRD Pro Skid, DD Fogs(pro), Ironman 4x4 FC pro lift.
    Credit scores have nothing to do with income. Your credit score is made up of many variables; type of debt, how you utilize it, balance vs available limit and age of credit.
    If your score dropped after paying off debt, it might be because it closed a longer obligation and shortened your history on open accounts for reporting. My .02.

t2ch likes this.
  11. May 6, 2020 at 11:41 AM
    PzTank

PzTank Stuck in the Well

Member:
    Above the Notches
    Vehicle:
    ‘15 AC SR5 4X4 4.0 Auto
    ‘07 OR leather shift knob
    My wife and I were consistently in the 810s-840s when we paid our mortgage off in February. Only a couple of CC which we never carry a balance on. No other debt except for utilities and taxes.

Our FICO score have been dropping ever since. 790s, I expect it to continue to hit the crapper.

12. May 12, 2020 at 7:47 AM
    gkomo

gkomo Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM AC SR5 4x4
    Man, no mortgage. Sounds great! I got maaaany years to go.

PzTank likes this.
  13. May 12, 2020 at 8:21 AM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Chief Executive Officer at Kwik Fab

Member:
    Stock
    As mentioned before, income has nothing to do with your credit score.

Glad I paid the house off a few years ago, I don't need credit anymore :yay:

With that being said, I'm always surprised at some of the things people have on their credit report; I'm running them everyday and getting people loans.

PzTank likes this.
  14. May 12, 2020 at 8:41 AM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Chief Executive Officer at Kwik Fab

Member:
    Stock
    The ones that never cease to amaze me are those with over 100K in student loans and making less than 75k per year.

15. May 12, 2020 at 8:56 AM
    nh_yota

nh_yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Portsmouth, NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC V6 TRD-OR 6-SPD
    2" Lift with HS coils/AAL and 5100s, TRD Exhaust, TRD Skid Plate, URD Short Shift, AT3s
    "Credit score" is a misnomer - they should really be called "profitability score" because they are not so much about your credit worthiness as they are about how profitable you can be to lenders.

Junior314 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top