1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Finally built the spare tire carrier.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 06rubi, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Sep 25, 2011 at 8:00 AM
    RedOctober

RedOctober Taco lova

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue TRD Off Road
    Just ordered the hinges!!!! Wondering how you attached the angle iron to your bed??? Also wondering if you think there would be a way to weld the hinges directly to the track so as to 1) not lose the track system setup on the front and 2) keeping it quasi-stock. Think the track would hold the weight?? How's it holding up to the weather?? Thinking of getting mine powdercoated...

2. Sep 27, 2011 at 10:44 PM
    06rubi

06rubi [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Pueblo West, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM (wife's truck)
    Debadged, tinted windows, 7 pin relocated, bed lights, 12 volt socket in bed of truck, on board air, auxiliary fuse box, grill craft, hella 500's, t-rex eyelids, pink budbuilt skids, icon remote resi coil over, camburg uca, alcan rear springs, ubolt flip, icon 2.5 remote rear resi shocks
    I guess you could bolt the hinges to the rail, never crossed my mind to though. Dunno if I would though. I like it more secure. I used the factory bolts to secure the angle to the bed. There is a link in this thread how I did that. I just rattle canned it and It's holding up fine. When you build it post up some pics!

3. Sep 27, 2011 at 11:39 PM
    TANK

TANK Well-Known Member

Member:
    GTA CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TACOMA 6SPD 4WD E-Locker
    885 on 5100, dakar leaf pack, N182, BFG AT, colour match grill, Weather tech, Marathon Super-hide seat covers, Leer 100R w/Yakima rack, ROLA basket, sleeping platform, tailgate theft mod, Plasti-dip badges, bed liner: TRD skid/rear bumper, ABC extinguisher
    looking good.

4. Oct 27, 2011 at 9:44 AM
    RedOctober

RedOctober Taco lova

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    Just finished up most of the box last night. Did a diagonal cross member instead of the T type you used...well see how it works. Still gotta weld up the angle iron, T tire holder and such but it's looking good. So glad I'm doing this....getting the spare off simply to measure last night was such a pain....but def getting it powdercoated!

Side note-anyone who wants one of these made for you my buddy and I sre thinking of offering them to forum members...PM me for details.

5. Oct 27, 2011 at 11:04 PM
    06rubi

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Pueblo West, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM (wife's truck)
    Debadged, tinted windows, 7 pin relocated, bed lights, 12 volt socket in bed of truck, on board air, auxiliary fuse box, grill craft, hella 500's, t-rex eyelids, pink budbuilt skids, icon remote resi coil over, camburg uca, alcan rear springs, ubolt flip, icon 2.5 remote rear resi shocks
    Pics or it didn't happen!

6. Oct 29, 2011 at 11:55 AM
    RedOctober

RedOctober Taco lova

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:

What ya think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't cleaned up the welds in their entirety quite yet. I still have some work to do on the grinding, and need to add the T section in the middle. I was going to do a full X pattern, but I kept messing up the smaller pieces and honestly...at this point with the steel I/we/you used...I could hold my truck up with this thing its so solid, ha!! After this I have a guy whos going to powdercoat it for me...I'll post pics when its totally painted. The really cool part is my friend is teaching me how to weld so I'm learning a new skillz at the same

7. Nov 18, 2011 at 11:31 PM
    RedOctober

RedOctober Taco lova

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    Heres the final product!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have to admit im rather pleased with how it came out.

8. Nov 19, 2011 at 12:02 AM
    06rubi

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Pueblo West, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM (wife's truck)
    That's awesome! Glad I could give you the idea for you to do it. I like the D-rings on the rail too. I did split some rubber hose and zip tie it to the corners where it sits on the bed. It was starting to wear grooves in the floor. How are you planning on securing it down?

9. Nov 19, 2011 at 12:22 AM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    I got to the 1st photo of the tire in the up position and started thinking "Can't be long before someone wants a group buy" LOL

10. Nov 19, 2011 at 12:43 AM
    gtdad66

gtdad66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    West Ga
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Limited
    Front window tint, tool box, bed mat
    I'm trying to decide on a rack for my truck, you just gave me some interesting ideas. Thanks

11. Nov 19, 2011 at 12:51 AM
    Stout890

Stout890 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    10" sub, OME881 on Bilstein's, 3" all-pro leaf springs with billies in the back, JBA UCA's, bed cover with custom LED lighting, k&n intake and DT headers, OEM E-locker in the rear. 32" BFG KO2 on steel D window wheels, suicide knob. rebuilt 3RZ w/ stage 1 cam and balance shaft delete . big 3 mod, all new suspension and body mount bushings. cat back magnaflow exhaust.
    Isn't the point of a bed mounted spare tire carrier to A- hold more than one tire, and B- to put the weight further back than stock for traction in 2wd prerunners?

12. Nov 19, 2011 at 1:18 AM
    06rubi

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Pueblo West, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM (wife's truck)
    Yea, you are probably right, but this is a 4wd truck that's a DD and is used for camping and mountain trails. I needed a place to put a full size spare and still be able to use the bed. The tire under the bed works fine for the street but It's the shits trying to get to it on a rocky trail. Plus I needed a place to mount the air tank and where the spare use to sit was my best option.

13. Nov 19, 2011 at 10:38 AM
    RedOctober

RedOctober Taco lova

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    For sure man you def gave me all the ideas!!! I figured since I was losing my movable track my system and the anchor points I'd simply weld the D do GS in the best spot. Secure it in what way? So it doesn't get stolen?? I'll also admit I'm thinking of further following your lead and putting my hi lift jack, a shovel and an ax underneath it for rescue/recover stuff.

14. Nov 19, 2011 at 10:40 AM
    RedOctober

RedOctober Taco lova

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    So I'm curious. Based on the design, to have it painted in any color you wanted, what do you think you'd be willing to pay for one? Or a reasonable price?

15. Nov 19, 2011 at 10:43 AM
    RedOctober

RedOctober Taco lova

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    Technically yes in some respects your right. Honestly most of this came down to liking 06rubi's design, and not loving the idea of having to crawl underneath in a rain storm or snowstorm to get my tire. Also it was just a fun project and taught me how to weld...there is quasi-little honest to goodness need for it. Then again, is much of what we do to our trucks out of "need?"

16. Nov 19, 2011 at 2:25 PM
    06rubi

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Pueblo West, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM (wife's truck)
    Secure it so it doesn't bounce around when you are driving. It shouldn't be much if an issue on the street unless you drive like my wife and speed up for potholes, dips and speed bumps! :D But off road you'd need it for sure.

17. Dec 11, 2011 at 12:30 AM
    RedOctober

RedOctober Taco lova

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    I don't fly that much so its not a huge issue. I think I'll be putting some hose on it to keep it off the bed.

On another note how did you do your cross bar, for when your tire is up? I need to set mine up.

18. Dec 11, 2011 at 1:02 AM
    07NavyTaco

07NavyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    North Chicago
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5, short bed, 4x4, bilstein 5100s
    billy 5100s @ 1.75, black grill and lower valence, tinted windows
    that's what i was curious about with this set up. i want to start building mine i a few months (moving into a house with a garage). i looked at all pro's and they have a locking pin setup at the hinge. it locks the hinge in one postion or the other so it doesn't bounce.

Products Discussed in

To Top