1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Finally decided on a travel trailer: 2021 R-Pod 192

Discussion in 'Towing' started by EchoDeltaSierra, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Aug 31, 2020 at 11:02 AM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    @Jerez You need this for the wife and kids :D Cheaper then the micro minnie I link you to :thumbsup:

Jerez likes this.
  2. Aug 31, 2020 at 12:33 PM
    campingalan

campingalan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southwestern CO
    Vehicle:
    I love tacos!
    Sir you have committed a TW transgression. We no longer use the term “boondocking”. We must use “overlanding”. Or the youngsters’ heads will implode. You see the vacuum overcomes the integrity of the skull when the outside pressure of new information is added to the near perfect vacuum that already exists. :)

But to keep this on topic, I too am looking at trailers in the size range. The dry bathroom is a must for my wife.[/QUOTE]

Ha...I just noticed your post!!

In response to your post....great point!! I'm guessing "Boondock is up there with "rotary phone" to that age group.

In response to your quote. I believe in your 1 good rifle quote so much that I named my dog after it "Remington M24 of the San Juan Mountains", aka Remy.

3. Aug 31, 2020 at 3:34 PM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    damn looks nice...not a bad idea
    I like the OPs set up too...but i think my truck might weight another 800-1000lb more than his
    Either way, i think my truck might be too tired already for pulling this guy and offroading
    i think an rv and pulling the tacoma would be better since i can just shift the tcase to neutral and flat tow :spy:

Lord Helmet[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Aug 31, 2020 at 4:19 PM
    EchoDeltaSierra

EchoDeltaSierra [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off-Road
    Nitro 4.88 gears OME suspension ST/Maxx 255/85R16s
    You asked about one of the systems that geeks me out most about this setup. Considering we dropped down in price based on what we were planning, we had a nice pile of funds to work with. Since moving from Minnesota to Texas, I've talked with a few installers about running solar systems in the sun-belt and decided to install a larger system right away. I spent some time consulting some EE friends of mine who've done several RV power installations and evaluated several different options, from small commercial kits to self-install. After looking at everything, I decided on the GoPower solutions that R-Pods are "pre-wired" for... not that being pre-wired for that system is really anything special.

GP Electric Solar Elite Charging kit. - https://gpelectric.com/products/solar-elite-charging-system/
    2x 100 Ah Expion360 VPR Classic LiFePO4 batteries

The only thing I didn't like about this specific kit was the fact it has a PWM versus MPPT system, but for the kit costs, though it's an easy item to swap out for a few hundred bucks if necessary. The charge controller and panels are connected to the battery and the system take as much sun as it can from the 380w of panels on the roof and turn it into current applied to the batteries.

The IC-2000 inverter/transfer/charger is the truly spectacular part of the system; it manages all AC power, both what is coming into the rig and what is being put to the rig's power system. Running on inverter only, I can actually start up and operate the 13.5k air conditioner. If shore power is full 30a service and the rig under-utilizing the current, the excess current will be diverted to charge batteries. If connected to 15amp service, and the rig is over-drawing that 15a circuit, it will bump up the power, drawing from battery, to meet the need. When it's on, it just works. Though I haven't bought a generator yet, a small 2000w inverter generator has a lot of potential coupled with a power system like this.

200 Ah of LiFePO4 batteries is the main power storage. Considering the light weight, 10-year warranty, and the ability to consume more than 80% of the lithium batteries, it was pretty easy to justify the up-front cost... these ain't cheap.

We are still testing, tuning, and getting to know the system, but I was at the camper Saturday morning and able to show up, open the awning, turn on the vent fan, put some tunes on the entrainment system and get a few projects done. One of which was a good vacuum of sawdust in all the various access compartments. It was nice to just turn on the inverter and plug in the shop vac.

Looking forward to the first extended off-grid trip; a system at this level really opens up basecamp options.

* sorry if this is carrying on and nerding out too much

KissmyTaco likes this.
  5. Aug 31, 2020 at 4:23 PM
    EchoDeltaSierra

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off-Road
    I had money down on a Micro Minnie and these new floor plans, Azdel construction, lighter weight, and great interior update, we shifted back to the R-Pod. The money we saved on that choice went into an upgrade to the power system install.

campingalan likes this.
  6. Aug 31, 2020 at 4:38 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    :thumbsup:

7. Aug 31, 2020 at 10:38 PM
    campingalan

Member:
    Southwestern CO
    Vehicle:
    I love tacos!
    Hi there! This is really a great batch of info! It will help out greatly as I'm considering one of these small trailers for 2 people that come either with or without solar systems. The good thing is we both live in and camp in the higher elevations of CO that generally don't need to run the a/c. However, of course, we want the capability to do that if it is above average temps or for when we go to a different area. But, just to the west of us is where the greater Moab area is; you'd definitely need a/c there and all of the other desert areas of UT in the summer. The winter time in UT desert is incredible. It still freezes mostly at night, but the days are usually above freezing and amazing. So, I like the idea of a solar system, for most needs, and one of those 2000-2200w generators (maybe put one of those soft starts so that you could be charging your batteries, as well as running the a/c). Here in CO, a fair share of the government land areas will be in the trees; so it would be great to have the generator for a back up.

I will look online to see the differences of a PWM and a MPPT system.

Can this system that you purchased be installed pretty much in most of these small couples trailers?

Yes!! I look forward to hearing how your rig performs on its extended off grid trip!

8. Aug 31, 2020 at 11:49 PM
    mrkabc

mrkabc Mall Crawler with a Locker

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    Corona, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB TRD OR
    Morimoto XB LED Head & Fog Lights, Cali Raised Stealth Light bar, OEM Roof Rack, Homelink Compass Mirror, Power Tailgate Lock, LED bed lights, MESO mirrors, gashole, switch panel & Stage 2 tails, PRO grille. Where's the mall?
    @EchoDeltaSierra that's fascinating about the go power solar. How do you go about installing something like that?

I have installed car stereos since the 1980s and done basic wiring, how involved is this process?

The site recommends the 380w solar elite charging system and of course I'd need 2 LiPo batteries as well. That hurts...

9. Sep 1, 2020 at 5:45 AM
    EchoDeltaSierra

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off-Road
    Thank you. Also, love me come Colorado, and pretty much any of the other mountains, and I've tent camped / truck camped in those hills on many an occasion. That's the main philosophy of use I was looking at... if it gets down to 70 or lower at night for sleeping, I won't need the AC other than intermittently.

The MPPT controller is more efficient. Go Power only has a 50a MPPT controller and the 30w PWM controller is what was currently included in the kit price. I wanted fully integration and was willing to allow that small compromise.

Storage and space is always at a premium. Before any of the install began, we did a walk through with the installer to ensure we liked where everything is. The only three large items are the inverter, which fit very nicely on the top of the steel bracket for the pullout stove/wash tub, the batteries we chose fit nicely on the tongue. If I wanted to do more batteries, I'd likely have shifted those to under the bed (lithium batteries don't need to vent).

Already scoping out places. If October, we'll likely be in Santa Fe National Forest, or if November in the Big Bend area.

10. Sep 1, 2020 at 5:52 AM
    EchoDeltaSierra

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off-Road
    Looking at all things, and considering it's still d@mn hot in central Texas, we chose to have the dealer do the install. We bought from Princess Craft RV and were super impressed with their service staff... so it was days of my tinkering outside in the Texas heat figuring out how best to wire this, or about $700 to have them do it in the shop and warranty all the work along with the new trailer.

This is the same fundamentals as any other electric work though quite a bit more complicated as there is 2ga wires coming from the batteries to the inverter, and properly specced cable need to run from the inverter to the main box in the trailer. Our installer did a superb job and ran a parallel line so that we can easily remove this system and revert to the charger built into the trailer should we decide to sell it and keep the power system.

Also, those lithium batteries are not cheap up front, but when factoring that AGMs will only get 3-4 years life in this heat, and would add over 125 lbs on the tongue, and only deliver 50% of capacity as usable power... well... I'm two-thousand-dang-dollars poorer and smiling because of it.

campingalan likes this.
  11. Nov 6, 2020 at 7:30 AM
    KRB 2019

KRB 2019 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD
    EchoDeltaSierra, thanks for your well written post's, they helped firm up our decision to purchase an RP192. Currently North West of Tucson parked on kid brother's sports court, 1630 mile south of our home in western Washington.

IMG_20201022_110023555.jpg

12. Nov 6, 2020 at 7:31 AM
    KRB 2019

KRB 2019 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD
    Maybe should have got the long bed, but not too much trouble.

IMG_20201030_170620533.jpg

13. Nov 6, 2020 at 8:22 AM
    campingalan

Member:
    Southwestern CO
    Vehicle:
    I love tacos!

Good morning to you.....and congrats on your purchase!! Yes....@EchoSierraDelta 's write ups are most helpful when considering this rig. We're still in the "selection" mode and will order something just after the New Year's. The backcountry here in CO doesn't really open up until late June-ish, depending on the snowfall amounts; so we have the time to wait for an order. Though I do like the micro minnies, ESD's comments about $$ saved pretty much covers the solar set up weighs in too. And, the system can run his a/c is incredible! I didn't ask him; I'm "assuming" he has a soft start on the a/c; but not positive it is needed on a 2k converter.

I look forward to hearing about your travels and experiences. Ha...I see your post about "maybe should have got a long bed". I see the wheel is off of your motor bike. Does that have to be done to make it fit?

Our considerations have been all over the map, so far. We were at a travel trailer to a Class C to a Class A back to a travel trailer to a sprinter van Class C and now back to a travel trailer. Bottom line, we know we'll only use this rig until retirement (3-5 yrs); so one of these couple's trailers allows us MUCH greater access to the backcountry here in CO, and the $$ outlay is much less. I'd also add that who knows when the indoor sights at all the small quirky towns that we'd visit will be open. So, we'll focus on the surrounding outdoors with one of these small trailers. I'll probably mirror or get a cocktail version of solar that EDS has, as well as support it with a small generator for back up. What's another 100 lbs (2.2kw generator and 5gal of fuel) of overweighting the taco going to hurt hehehehe.

Safe travels!

14. Nov 6, 2020 at 9:37 AM
    KRB 2019

KRB 2019 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD

15. Nov 6, 2020 at 9:42 AM
    KRB 2019

KRB 2019 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD
    Usually just partially close the gate, but with trailer we have to get it all the way closed. So, off comes the wheel and on goes the tailgate rest/swingarm clevis piece I fabbed up for the trip.

16. Nov 6, 2020 at 9:44 AM
    KRB 2019

KRB 2019 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD
  17. Nov 6, 2020 at 9:45 AM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Keep on keeping on!

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bourbon state
    Whats price on this?

18. Nov 6, 2020 at 9:59 AM
    EchoDeltaSierra

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off-Road
    The trailer was less than $20k out the door. The solar / inverter / battery setup was about $5k (26% of which will be returned via tax credit).

wilcam47[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Nov 6, 2020 at 10:00 AM
    RobbieP4VT

RobbieP4VT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2004 Single Cab 4x4!
    vehicles this badass don’t need any mods!
    Nice trailer!

EchoDeltaSierra[OP] likes this.
  20. Nov 6, 2020 at 10:01 AM
    EchoDeltaSierra

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off-Road
    How's it working out?

Products Discussed in