1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Firestone airbag + U-bolt flip + Daystar cradle + Bump stop (***SOLD OUT***)

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tacoma Parts Marketplace (2005-2015)' started by badger, Nov 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 15, 2019 at 10:09 PM
    badger

badger [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    No one has done this yet to my knowledge, So I designed and built a drop in plate that allows all 4 functions. The use of airbags in combination with properly spec’d leaf springs is the ultimate rear suspension! It allows carrying a wide range of loads, and accommodating a wide range of driving conditions. Properly valved bags can be used to level a truck in an uneven camp site.

Here is the problem that we are dealing with. The factory installation of the Firestone bags does not accommodate the Daystar cradle. For those who don’t know, Daystar cradles allow the air bag to function at full articulation, since the bottom of the bag rests in a cup. It can separate when the axles need to move away. Hard wheeling without a cradle can damage the bag by over stretching it at full droop. The second problem is that the factory Tacoma U-bolts hold the bottom mount of the bag. If you install a U-bolt flip, the bag can’t be mounted at all. Third problem is that the bag requires the removal of the bump stop, and there is no internal bump in the firestone bag. This means that every time your suspension bottoms, it is bottoming on the bag. This will eventually destroy the bag. Either that or you have to run enough pressure so the suspension never bottoms. Then you are over sprung.

I have seen various attempts to solve parts of this issue, but they all have problems. If the cradle sits flat on an adapter plate, then water, mud or whatever lands in the cradle when the bag is up, has nowhere to go. There has to be a purge path.

These plates solve all these problems and allow the full utility of airbags in an offroad Tacoma. I have also solved the “cradle clap” that you hear every time the bag seats in the cradle. To me it is annoying! These kits come with EPDM rubber pads with self adhesive backing to cover the steel bottom of the bag. Makes for a nice quiet ride! I designed these kits for myself with no thought of selling them. The problem was that the cost of two laser cut plates was ridiculous. I ended up buying 24 plates, so I can build 12 sets total. After that, no guarantees these will come back around! One set got snapped up already. I have 4 sets that I can ship next week. I can build 5 more in a couple of weeks from the rest of the parts I have.

NOTE: This kit works with all Gen 2 AND Gen 3 Tacomas!

These new adapters have the following features:

½” steel laser cut main plate replaces your existing U-bolt flip plate without any modification

Drop in attachment of the Daystar cradle without any other mods

Allows for use of a full feature bump stop like a Timbren, Duro bump, or Wheelers Superbump:

Pedestal design with purge hole in the main plate allows mud, sand, dirt and water to escape, and not sit trapped in the cup

Engineered to allow the bumpstop to contact 1” before the bag bottoms. The bumpstop is compressed 1” before the bag bottoms, saving the bag from rupture.

Utilizes the Firestone upper mount.

Allows the use of lower bag pressure without damage from bottoming

Each plate is fully welded and built of heavy gauge steel for hard use.

Plates are all sand blasted and matte black powdercoated for years of service.

Each kit includes 2 adapter plates, 2 frame reinforcement plates for the bump stops, 2 EPDM bag pads, and all the special hardware required to mount the cradle and Wheelers Superbumps. No other hardware to buy!

You must provide: Tacoma Firestone airbag kit of your choice, U-bolts suitable for U-bolt flip with nuts, bumpstops. This kit is designed around the Wheeler Tacoma Superbump # WHE-01SUPERBUMPKIT$62.50 FROM Wheelers offroad. Other similar bumps can be used with modification to mounting stud, and possibly shimming. The bump must be 2.75” to 3” tall, or shimmed to that height! The mounting stud hole in the frame plate is 10mm x 1.25. Most bump stops designed for front of the Tacoma will work in this application, but that is up to you to verify.

Price is $198 + shipping.
    air bag install.jpg

This plate replaces your current U-bolt flip plate and provides the mounting seat for the cradle, and the strike surface for the bump stop.
    air bag plate.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  2. Nov 16, 2019 at 6:14 AM
    RushT

RushT Amateur Everythingist

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    '18 DCSB TRDOR Inferno
    Pretty cool. If I were farther along in my towing build I’d probably be in for a set.

3. Nov 16, 2019 at 12:08 PM
    Tootall604

Tootall604 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma sb
    What leafs are u running?

4. Nov 16, 2019 at 2:09 PM
    PNUT

PNUT Snake is just sneak spelled sideways

Member:
    North Bay
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB TRD OR 4X4
    Ray 10s Prinsu Switch Pro
    Mo pics?

How does the cradle attach?

5. Nov 16, 2019 at 2:09 PM
    badger

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    I'm running an older set of ALL-Pro Expeditions. I guess they are about 8 years old now. They have been very good springs, but I hear they have had some QC issues, so who knows.

6. Nov 16, 2019 at 2:28 PM
    badger

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    The cradle attaches with a single bolt in the center. Here is another pic from the inside.
    The bump I'm using is an older Timbren, just because I had it.
    ai rbag 2.jpg

7. Nov 16, 2019 at 2:37 PM
    badger

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    This pic shows the plate just prior to installing the cradle. The tapped hole in the rectangular riser is where the cradle bolts in. The riser is just 3/4" tall, which leaves plenty of room for the bag. The two inboard U-bolts are topped with washers, which become part of the support for the cradle. By doing this, I was able to keep everything very low.

cradle plate.jpg

8. Nov 17, 2019 at 5:33 PM
    badger

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
  9. Nov 18, 2019 at 8:59 PM
    Eazy.E

Eazy.E Big gulps huh?!

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Snohomish, Wa
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB TRD Sport Trail Whale
    I have literally been talking about doing something like this for sooooo long. For me not having a true bump has always led the rear end feeling “springy” so cle it has not dampening when your getting up there in the spring stroke and air bags will always make you feel like you have extra rebound.

I like the idea of moving the bump stop back like you have. I assume the up plate to mount the bump stop is included with the kit?

I ended up putting a kit set up together that allowed me to used the firestone lower hardware as well and keep my shackle flip bit still no true bump stop.

This is seriously tempting!

10. Nov 19, 2019 at 4:17 AM
    badger

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    A quality bump does help snub the rebound of the spring, yes. All of the bumps I listed are progressive, and they all store some energy. The ideal setup though is to have an adjustable shock as well, so that you can have settings for different bag pressures. The damping always has to be matched to the spring rate for optimum performance. That will be my next upgrade.

Yes, the upper plate is threaded 10x1.25 to accept the bumps listed. You drill two holes each side to mount the plate. This set-up shifts the bump to the side of the frame where it is strongest, and aligns with the leaf pack. The plate is 3/8" thick for added strength. It's also designed to engage the bump at the right moment to work effectively. I'm a mechanical engineer, so I started with a long list of parameters to satisfy: strength, proper alignment, water and debris ejection, articulation, and smooth integration of all the components into an easy drop in package. I've seen a lot of make shift attempts at this, but most just trade one problem for another. It took some modeling to work it all out. Mine delivers on every item. Like I said though, I'm not interested in manufacturing them. I just have a few extra sets from my own project to pass along.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Eazy.E likes this.
  11. Nov 19, 2019 at 5:35 AM
    Eazy.E

Eazy.E Big gulps huh?!

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Snohomish, Wa
    Vehicle:
    Agreed, looks well thought out to say the least. How many sets did you say you have left?

12. Nov 19, 2019 at 5:41 AM
    badger

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    I have 9 sets total. 4 can be shipped in a few days. (out for finishing) The other 5 need some additional welding and fabrication.

13. Nov 19, 2019 at 5:52 AM
    Eazy.E

Eazy.E Big gulps huh?!

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Snohomish, Wa
    Vehicle:
    Roger that,

I’m going to be moving this week but assuming there are is a set kicking around in the next week or so I’ll reach out to ya.

badger[OP] likes this.
  14. Nov 19, 2019 at 6:41 AM
    clenkeit

clenkeit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 White DCLB TRD Sport
    Looks like a really nice part! I just bought a Tacoma and don't yet know if I'm going to need to get anything like this for hauling. Do you think you're gonna continue to sell these? (assuming there's interest?)

15. Nov 19, 2019 at 7:19 AM
    badger

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    If you are just hauling and doing very easy off-roading you wouldn't need any of this. The standard airbag kit is fine. The cradle, flip kit, and bump stops are needed if you plan to offroad the truck as well Here are the benefits:
    Flip kit: Gives more clearance under the axle and prevents getting snagged on a rock.
    Cradle: Allows full articulation of the suspension with an air bag, and prevents damage to the bag as well
    Bump stop: Improves the response of the suspension, eliminates the harsh bottoming, and protects the bags from hammering. It allows you to run very low or zero bag pressure. You just need enough to make the bag touch the cradle. The reason Firestone specs a minimum 5 psi is because it provides a little protection to the bags when they bottom. That is for a street driven truck. It also prevents the bag from imploding when stretched way out. An offroaded truck really works the suspension, so the 5PSI is not enough to save the bag from bottoming.

The problem is that none of these are meant to work with any of the other items. The airbag actually eliminates the factory bump stop.

This mount that I developed allows all of these items to work in harmony. As far as building more, I doubt it. The only way to build these cost effectively is to run 250 or so per batch, and get all the functions CNC'd. As it is, I'm drilling and tapping many of the holes by hand, cutting, welding and fitting parts, finishing edges etc. It barely pencils out for me. I own a business, so my time is pretty limited.

DanishTaco and Bobcdn like this.
  16. Nov 19, 2019 at 7:33 AM
    golfindia

golfindia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes.
    Vehicle:
    pickup truck
    I always thought the bag was designed to serve as the bump stop once you remove the stock one.....? I threw the manual away long ago, but I thought that's what it said. There's a lot of rubber in there. I've bottomed mine out a lot offroad in the 3 years I've had them on, never had an issue. An extra bump stop may be a good idea to keep the plastic cradle from cracking under impact.

17. Nov 19, 2019 at 8:01 AM
    Muddinfun

Muddinfun Well-Known Member

Member:
    I’ve looked at the spec charts for Firestone air bags. Some of them have an internal bump stop. Some of them don’t. It would be interesting to know if the ones for Tacomas have a bump stop inside.

18. Nov 19, 2019 at 8:03 AM
    badger

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    they don't

19. Nov 28, 2019 at 6:16 AM
    badger

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
  20. Nov 28, 2019 at 6:24 AM
    YOTA 4X4

YOTA 4X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    OME HD Lift all around, SCS SR8 Rims, 255 85 R16 Cooper ST Maxx, Decked Drawers, 30" Rigid Pro Light bar above bumper on Rago Mounts, Rigid Dually Side Shooters on Rago ditch brackets, Hondo Garage Un-Holey Phone Mount X2, Hondo Radio Knobs AR Bolt Face, Garmin InReach SE GPS synch'ed to Iphone for GPS only mapping, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Liner Contour floor mats, 63 QT ARB Fridge on Alu-Cab tilting slide. GoFastCamper (#41), ARB 2500 Awning with Full Room, Mobtown Off-road Sliders and Full Aluminum Skids.
    Sub’d. I’m pretty interested. Currently running 7 OME Leafs out back w/ Datstar cradles and Firestone bags. I’d love to have bumpstops back and a U-bolt flip....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top