1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Gen Strut Mount Advice/Suggestions - KYB SM5184's?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by czotie, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Aug 4, 2020 at 10:58 PM
    czotie

czotie [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zote
    California
    Vehicle:
    2001 Silver Tacoma 4x4 Xtra Cab
    Bilstein 5100's Firestone Riderites Deckplate Mod & AEM Aisin Clutch plate Luk Flywheel Timken bearings Marlin Crawler shifter bushing
    Hey guys, I've read through all the posts here about which strut mounts to use on the 1st gen Tacomas. I have a 2001 4x4 Ext Cab w/ 230k miles with the original struts I'm pretty sure... Truck has been in my possession for 2.5 years now and since I can finally afford it I'm going to give it an overhaul.

I do 3 to 4 months of offloading for work every year where I'm on some pretty gnarly sand/rock trails. Honestly surprised the suspension/balljoints/rack have survived this long.

Current Suspension Project/Work:
    • Bilstein 5100's Second Perch
    • New Stock Coils
    • KYB SM5184'? or Rebuilt Stock?
    • Ball Joints - OEM
    • Streeing Rack & Pinion
    • CV Axles
    • Bilstein 5100's In back
    • Firestone RideRite's
    • AllPro Expo ~400lbs at all times + when offroading

I decided to go with KYB SM5184's, through all my reading it looks like Monroes, Sachs, and Gabriel are the cheaper lower end, with MOOG being closer to a medium/higher end part (design like OEM). I saw KYB's being praised as far as a brand, and the SM5184's being recommended on many posts... but I haven't seen anyone actually give any experience review of them. Also, since they're no longer available on RockAuto, Wheelers, Summmit etc... I have my doubts.

I'm not sold on them. The only reviews I can see are on Amazon.. and I don't trust the few that are there. I also think the SM5184's are made for sedans, not 4x4 trucks. I also get the feeling they may have dropped in quality considering they are no longer available on the mentioned sites.

I bought the Stem Cushion and Washer Kit (bushing/washer kit) from Wheelers and an extra KYB Strut mount insulator to rebuild my original strut mount using the original top hat just in case the SM5184's fall apart or for 30 - 60K miles down the road (if she lasts that long).

Does anyone have any experience or a review to share of KYB SM5184's? Also take a look at them on Amazon.. some poor fella installed them with no top bushing or washer and uploaded a picture of the pain.

TLDR: Are KYB SM5184's trash today? Can they keep up with 4x4'ing? Would rebuild of Stock tophat/strut mount be better?

Thanks

CZ

20200804_224538.jpg

2. Aug 5, 2020 at 3:43 AM
    Taco critter

Taco critter Mall crawler proud , patw and ,ttc#0247

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Pottstown /stowe , pa
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma 4x4 full mall crawler,
    Ome 3inch ,rims ,cold air intake ,,4 crawler body lift ,cb in ashtray mod,leds, jet maf,Satoshi grille,led roof bar,yakama roof basket ,smittybilt parts,spare tire mount in hitch ,rago fabrication parts, winch bumper ,winch ,285s on wagon wheels ,traction boards ,hi lift jack,wet oaklies,smittybilt ,bamf bedrack,loads more,TOO MUCH SHIT TO LIST
    welcome to tw

3. Aug 5, 2020 at 6:39 AM
    CrustyTaco

CrustyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Louisville, KY
    Vehicle:
    2004 Ext Cab V6 5MT 4X4 162k
    881/5100/Dakars 4R wheels / TBU New frame
    I installed the KYB SM5184's last March as part of my suspension refresh, purchased off Amazon for $33.59/ea. I've done only mild off-roading at my land in the year since, but I haven't had any issues with them or any of my other new suspension components. The mounts I removed were rusted and worn, but the KYBs seem comparable to the OE mounts from what I could tell.

4. Aug 5, 2020 at 2:08 PM
    czotie

czotie [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zote
    California
    Vehicle:
    2001 Silver Tacoma 4x4 Xtra Cab
    Bilstein 5100's Firestone Riderites Deckplate Mod & AEM Aisin Clutch plate Luk Flywheel Timken bearings Marlin Crawler shifter bushing
    Thanks Taco Critter. That's a sweet set up you got there.
    Been using the site for years, but finally decided to sign up.

Thanks CrustyTaco. What Coil/Shock set up did you end up going with?
    I can see some surface rust on the OEM plate, and I'm sure the hardware is going to need replacing.

Taco critter likes this.
  5. Aug 5, 2020 at 2:08 PM
    Taco critter

Taco critter Mall crawler proud , patw and ,ttc#0247

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Pottstown /stowe , pa
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma 4x4 full mall crawler,
    Ome 3inch ,rims ,cold air intake ,,4 crawler body lift ,cb in ashtray mod,leds, jet maf,Satoshi grille,led roof bar,yakama roof basket ,smittybilt parts,spare tire mount in hitch ,rago fabrication parts, winch bumper ,winch ,285s on wagon wheels ,traction boards ,hi lift jack,wet oaklies,smittybilt ,bamf bedrack,loads more,TOO MUCH SHIT TO LIST
    :thumbsup:

6. Aug 5, 2020 at 2:44 PM
    CrustyTaco

CrustyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Louisville, KY
    Vehicle:
    2004 Ext Cab V6 5MT 4X4 162k
    881/5100/Dakars 4R wheels / TBU New frame
    Old Man Emu 2881 and Bilstein 5100 shocks on the bottom ring.

Products Discussed in

To Top