1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First impressions of a 2nd Gen Taco

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by putawaywet, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Jan 5, 2010 at 9:12 PM
    xpdishun

xpdishun Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    10 AC SR5 4x4 6MT V6
    Awesome, that makes me feel a lot better about my deal. Thanks for the response!

They didn't have a truck quite to my liking at any of the dealers I went to so I ended up ordering my truck from the factory. This gave me the pleasure of specifying exactly what I wanted. Thankfully I'm not going to have to pay for anything I don't want.

Yeah, good call. From putawaywet's post it sounds like it is the combination of putawaywet living in a no sales tax state and also having the college rebate like me.

2. Jan 16, 2010 at 6:13 PM
    putawaywet

putawaywet [OP] Yaris Offroader

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '17 DC TRD Off Road MT
    After a few weeks of daily driving, a couple more things I've noticed:

• The manual transmission isn't nearly as smooth as the one in my 2000. The clutch is softer and it is 'easier' to drive, but when shifting into 2nd or 3rd it just doesn't go in smoothly. Just like on every stick I've ever driven, there's two points of resistance when going into gear - an initial one, then the actual engagement of the gear teeth. After pushing in the clutch the shifter glides smoothly past the first point of resistance, but never quite seems to sync as the two gears go together. I end up with what feels like the heads of the teeth bumping before they engage fully. This happens most often when I shift below 2500 RPM. It's almost like things aren't lined up right or something. FWIW, I've got a class A CDL and have been driving manual transmissions for 18+ years so I'd like to think my technique is ok :)

I'm also not a huge fan of how they geared the 6 speed. I think it's a great idea, but they missed on the gearing selection. I've heard others say it's great for country road driving (speed limits 35 - 55 mph), but on the highway (65 mph+) 6th isn't tall enough and in the city (< 35 mph) 1-3 are too low. Maybe they were really going for close ratios for towing/hauling purposes, but I don't know many people who buy manual transmissions specifically for towing/hauling.

• Three weeks in, I have my first squeek - the damn heater fan sounds like a squeaky hamster wheel on low. I didn't have a single squeek/rattle in my 2000 when it went to the crusher last month.

3. Jan 16, 2010 at 7:23 PM
    putawaywet

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '17 DC TRD Off Road MT
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I had my first long drive (~ 3 hours) and the 2010 is definitely more comfortable than the 2000 was :)

4. Jan 16, 2010 at 8:03 PM
    MGRS

MGRS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '20 Tundra OR
    My trans has had the same resistance from 30 to 21,000 miles. Not sure if new fluid will make a difference.

Agreed on the gearing. I take off pretty slow in this truck because the shifts are hard to rush. I don't even use 5th gear unless I am pulling grades. I have some 255/85/16s coming in Monday which I bet will make the gearing feel more 'at home.'

The only squeak I hear regularly is the darn leather clutch boot. It creaks like crazy.

Sorry to hear about your 2000. I hunted high and low for a nice pre 2004 but could not find one as I was living in OH at the time. I 'settled' on an '08 while they were heavily rebated. I think it is a great pickup. Maybe not what the last generation was, but time will tell. I will say it took out an 8" residential utility pole, a mailbox, and some trees a month ago and didn't damage anything mechanical...just $7K in body repairs:eek:

5. Jan 17, 2010 at 3:30 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    Squeeky fan X2.........

6. Jan 17, 2010 at 5:05 PM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 Guest

same issue here with the trans and ruff shifting..I changed to REDLINE MT 90 synth trans fluid, and it didn't help.....there is a tsb for slipping clutches....could this help? or is a slipping clutch something else all together?

7. Jan 17, 2010 at 5:36 PM
    smuggiesrider

smuggiesrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green TRD Off-Road DCSB AT
    TRD 2" Lift kit w/ PRO Grille swap package ARE CX Classic Cap Sumitomo Encounter AT 265/75/16 tires TRD Pro wheels Predator steps Frame salt protection spray Weather Tech floor Mats and rainguards Wet Okole Seat Covers Bedmat Black exhaust tip Bed light LED kit Tailgate mat Eyecatcher tailgate letters Yoda cover for tow hitch and steering wheel Decals for grille, glove box, badges $$$$$$
    Just got westin/wade plastic floor mats. After not being able to find any for the 2010 (due to recall) I had to find 05-09 mats on ebay. They fit great and can't find ant issue with gas pedal hitting or getting caught. I just couldn't go the winter in VT with no plastic mats. I have my stock mats (grey) for the front that I'm not using if any one wants them?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Jan 17, 2010 at 6:21 PM
    putawaywet

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '17 DC TRD Off Road MT
    I ended up getting the standard Weathertech mats (not the full custom rubber tub-mats), and so far so good. About half the price, too.

As far as the transmission issue, I'm contemplating calling the Toyota service line and letting them know about the issue just to start a case file. Maybe if enough of us do it there may end up being a TSB???

9. Jan 23, 2010 at 6:50 PM
    Geoff

Geoff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Adirondack Mountains
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD OR
    I also have the squeaky fan issue on my 2010. Does anyone have a fix for this? Can it be addressed with WD40?

10. Jan 23, 2010 at 7:24 PM
    putawaywet

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '17 DC TRD Off Road MT
    There's a thread on here somewhere about it - some people add some grease, others re-adjust a positioning screw. Both seem to work for some people.

Products Discussed in

To Top