1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FIRST OIL CHANGE AND TIRE ROTATION PROBLEM!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 2011TRD, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Feb 28, 2011 at 9:30 PM
    2011TRD

2011TRD [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD OFF ROAD
    I went to the dealership for my first oil change and tire rotation and I also let the service tech know about a noise that my breaks were making right when I come to a stop. After 2 hours of waiting they finally finished and the tech told me that they fixed the break noise and everything is good. I'm about 2 blocks from my house and I hear the noise again so when I park my truck I get out and I notice that my front rims still have all the break dust around them and the rear ones are clean so now I know that they didn't rotate the tires and they never looked at the breaks because the lugs don't have a nick on them and the dust. I already made a call after this and it was close to 6pm and the person I spoke to remembered me and said I would get a call back and that didn't happen. I'm a little steamed and was wondering how others would handle this if it happened to you. Thanks

2. Feb 28, 2011 at 9:32 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    The manager would certainly get an earful, and I'd never give that dealer my business again.

3. Feb 28, 2011 at 9:33 PM
    eccracer104

eccracer104 O.G. Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra 4x4
    Take pictures just incase. they may come in handy down the road

4. Feb 28, 2011 at 10:25 PM
    mcleod90

mcleod90 150,000 miles and counting

Member:
    First Name:
    sean
    modesto ca
    Vehicle:
    05 double cab
    when you brake does it make a sound or just feel a shaking?

5. Feb 28, 2011 at 10:48 PM
    2011TRD

2011TRD [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD OFF ROAD
    No shaking and not a high pitched squeak and I don't feel any rubbing. The best way I could describe the noise would be a short whistle.

6. Feb 28, 2011 at 11:35 PM
    kcrob1

kcrob1 Choot It!

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Montgomery, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT CC/LB
    Adjustable Billies, Debadged, Painted emblem on grille Kenwood Double din, polk components, co-ax, polk 8" sub & polk amp, TSB springs, 6000K hids, FJ Wheels
    I have had 2 oil changes and both times I have had issues. First time I ran over a screwdriver and needed the tires rotated. They said they could not fix the tire and I needed to buy a new one. Long story short they were trying to put a plug in it versus patching it from the inside. I chewed the service writers ass out about how unsafe that is and what a ripoff it is to sell someone a new tire when its not needed. I asked how he could plug a tire on a minivan with kids in it, or old people who don't know what is done. Second time I left and heard a badddd popping noise somewhere in the rear end. Same dealership btw. Drove it straight back first thing and waited 3 hrs. Came back with no answers I think the lugs were loose on my wheel after the rotation...:rant: So back to your question my brakes make noise right before I come to a complete stop too. Don't even want to waste my time in asking. I have hooked up with the parts manager of another dealership and will now be doing all maitenance and repairs there. Ok rant over :D Just raise all the hell you can without wasting your breathe, find another dealership, and report them to Toyota.

And take pictures of everything... They will help in a battle with dumb shits who believe they are right and you are wrong. They will call you in a day or 2 for a survey and be sure to lay into that ass like I did

7. Mar 1, 2011 at 4:19 AM
    Primersinmyshoe

Primersinmyshoe Old Sheepdog

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Limited MGM
    None (yet)
    There are other threads about how guys like the dealer's free oil change service. I have decided not to let them work on my truck if I don't have to. It's easy to change the oil on these trucks, so I've done it myself - twice. I won't give the dealer a chance to mess up my drain plug or drip oil all over my engine.

I think you've learned a lesson here. Change your own oil. Get the tire rotation done at the dealer, but not in conjunction with any other services (as long as the rotation is free).

Did you get the TSB done for the rear springs yet?

8. Mar 1, 2011 at 4:42 AM
    grivera

grivera Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC SR5 4x4, Desert Sand Mica
    Rear Suspension TSB, Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners-fronts set at 1.75". BFG A/T's @ 265/75/16; Access LE Roll-up cover; Iron Cross Tube SS Steps; Fumoto valve; WeatherTech Liners; AFE Pro-Dry; front side windows tinted 20%; TW Decal!
    Did you confirm that they actually changed the oil?

BTW, buy yourself a floor jack (or 2) and do your own tire rotations.

9. Mar 1, 2011 at 4:48 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    I would also talk with the dealer customer service manager as well as the service manager. Keep your cool too.

10. Mar 1, 2011 at 4:50 AM
    396tears

396tears Well-Known Member

Member:
    i find it odd that a dealership would try to plug a tire from the outside
    it is very seldom any place will do that any more
    on that note
    i have had many a tire plugged that way over the years
    usually at a private owned service station as most repair shops
    will only use a mushroom patch from the inside
    which will also require a rebalance

if the puncture is small and through the tread an outside plug will work just fine if done properly

a sidewall puncture requires replacing the tire in my opinion
    i would not use an inner tube but most shops don't carry them anyway

11. Mar 1, 2011 at 5:20 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I always mark the oil filter when I take it in to make sure they actually give me a new filter. Get a jack and a set of stands to do your own tire rotations. It only takes about an hour, even if you have to do it in your driveway and take your time. You'll spend triple that between travel time to a dealership and the waiting.

In your case, I'd give the service manager hell. That's completely unacceptable to pay for a service they blatantly did not do. That's stealing any way you put it.

12. Mar 1, 2011 at 5:52 AM
    TacoFMS

TacoFMS Bubble bubble bubble pop

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Just a vehicle to take trash to the dump
    One or two things modded... Check out the build thread
    i had the exact same problem with the dealership i took mine to. i marked the tires with a wax pencil right before i took it in writing rf lf rr lr on all the tires on the inside facing sidewall. when i walked out to the parking lot i took a sec to look and all the tires were in the exact same postion. so i walked back inside very calmly and politely asked the service manager to walk out there with me to take a look. at first he tried to accuse me of doing that in the parking lot until i got with the guy that wrote up the paperwork and decided i didnt have enough time to do that, of course then he tried to apologize and offer to take my truck back and get it done. i refused to let them touch my truck again. on the way home i called another dealership and talked to their service manager telling him what had happened and asked him what route i should take to ensure they didnt do that to any other people. he gave me a number to a higher up in toyota (dont know if it was a regional manager or something) and when i called them and told them they called me back within an hour and said the problem had been handled and offer me a full refund. long story short the service manager nor the tech who did my work, supposedly did it, work at the dealership anymore. if you remain somewhat calm you will come out far better.

13. Mar 1, 2011 at 6:03 AM
    jdcrowe75

jdcrowe75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD OR 4x4
    I do all my general maintenance myself, you should too if you're able. Save your receipts. I'd definitely talk with the service manager. If he can't give you satisfaction take it to the general manager.

14. Mar 1, 2011 at 8:14 AM
    2011TRD

2011TRD [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD OFF ROAD
    Thanks guys and there is no doubt that I would be doing all this myself but physically I'm not able to ( I need 2 knee replacements and thats another story). In my life I have never gone to a dealership for routine maintenance because of the prices but this is part of that 2yr free maintenance that they are pushing. One more thing that I left out was after 1.5 hours I checked to see if my truck was almost ready and they told me that they were finished with the oil change, rotation and they were checking the brakes right now. I haven't gotten a call back yet and my next move is the service GM and trying to stay calm is the hard part. Will keep posted

15. Mar 1, 2011 at 8:19 AM
    joerussell610

joerussell610 When all else fails read the directions

Member:
    First Name:
    Him
    Making myself at home in your house
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC Sport Edition 4x4
    K&N, fog light mod, remote rear halogen fogs mounted under rear bumper, TRD skid plate, Flux Capacitor, Mr. Fusion upgrade soon
    1st oil change and doing rotation? Should do it every other oil change BUT they should have advised you of this. Was it an Express Lane or did they take it into the BIG shop?

16. Mar 1, 2011 at 8:53 AM
    396tears

396tears Well-Known Member

Member:
    F Y I

the tire rotation is included with the oil change every 5k
    in the free 24 month maintenance plan that comes with new toyotas now

you could decline the rotation if you want:)

17. Mar 1, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    kcrob1

kcrob1 Choot It!

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Montgomery, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT CC/LB
    Adjustable Billies, Debadged, Painted emblem on grille Kenwood Double din, polk components, co-ax, polk 8" sub & polk amp, TSB springs, 6000K hids, FJ Wheels
    Haha well that screw driver popped 3 holes in my tire, :cool: but they were all in the tread. Took it to tiremax and they patched it right for the fabulous price of free...

Need to start marking all my stuff before it goes in. Good ideas guys :thumbsup:

18. Mar 1, 2011 at 7:56 PM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
    What dealership?

Seeing you're in Louisiana... want to know.

19. Mar 1, 2011 at 8:28 PM
    2011TRD

2011TRD [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD OFF ROAD
    Lakeside Toyota was the dealership and I'm going back tomorrow morning after 4 phone calls today.

20. Mar 1, 2011 at 8:33 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    ... ^^^ ... Ditto ... pictures ... pictures ... take lots of pictures ... you can always erase them if not needed.

Pictures (and good notes) have saved my azz on several occasions.

Products Discussed in

To Top