1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First post.....One question for now

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by randytrish, May 24, 2012.

1. May 24, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    randytrish

randytrish [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    King , NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma SR5
    I want to say hello and I'm very impressed with your forum. I've recently purchased a 03 xcab 4x4 auto one owner truck with 192k miles. I bought it from my neighbor, an older gentlemen who purchased it new. Never off road or used for towing. Always garaged. It had the timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt and tensioners replaced at 105k along with plugs and wires.
    All of the fluids are original. I plan on flushing the brake fluid at the next oil change and then on to the differentials and transfer case.
    Now to my question.
    What to do about the transmission fluid. It's never been changed and I believe the manual states as change when needed. The fluid looks dark, but not burnt and still has the transmission fluid smell. No transmission problems, shifts great. I don't use the flush machines. I unhook the trans line at the radiator, start the vehicle and let it idle and pump out the old fluid usually around two quarts at a time, refill. This takes 14 to 16 quarts total.
    So what's the opinion here?
    Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post,
    Randy

2. May 24, 2012 at 6:49 PM
    TacomaJPP

TacomaJPP To secure peace, is to prepare for war

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    Snugtop Camper Brushguard
    I'm not an auto guy.

However, in my life's experience, I've seen that changing auto fluid that seems long overdue usually results in a quick death for the transmisdion after new fluid is put in it. I would leave it alone.

Of course, change everything else like you mentioned.

3. May 25, 2012 at 4:18 PM
    hossmaster

hossmaster Well-Known Member

Member:
    League City, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2002 Converted / 2017 OR
    Was a PreRunner, now it isn't
    drain and refill, go a week and do it again, go another week and do it again, go another week and do it again until the fluid changes to a nice bright red and you feel that it's been cycled through. if you don't like the color or smell keep at it until you do.

4. May 25, 2012 at 4:22 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    Welcome......and as stated above.......do drain and fills once a week til all new fluid is thru out the transmission. And i believe you'll find that 4 quarts per drain and fill will put the fluid where it needs to be.

5. May 25, 2012 at 6:27 PM
    randytrish

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    King , NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma SR5
    I have decided to do the drain and replace procedure. Where's a good place to pick up the fluid? Dealership...On Line? I bet I've read through 50 posts regarding the type IV fluid and it sounds like the OE Toyota type IV is the way to go. I'm not interested in going with synthetic with these miles on my truck. Thanks for your responses.
    Randy

6. May 26, 2012 at 7:01 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    Yeah....dealership is probably best place to get the t4 fljid.....unless you order it online. Castrol for multi import vehicles is good stuff as well....and its compatible.

7. May 27, 2012 at 7:07 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    Well after you buy all that fluid, time, labor, and mess why not just flush it?

I would use your unhook the trans line at the radiator method and be done with it, that way the converter gets fresh fluid, IMHO drain and add method is a waste of money and time!

8. May 27, 2012 at 7:13 AM
    dfrugia

dfrugia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Goose
    Roswell, NM
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD OFF RD 4X4
    Running boards w/steps, Weathertechs
    I would drain in one time and refill. I agree with messing with a tranny that overdue may cause a failure.

9. May 27, 2012 at 7:14 AM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    Welcome to TW. Best of luck.

Frank

10. May 27, 2012 at 7:20 AM
    ONEOFMANY503

ONEOFMANY503 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner DCSB SR5
    5100 front at 2.5'', rear leaf tsb and 1.5'' AAL, tinted tails,Race Line Raptors 16x8, Wild Country XTX with mountain snowflake 285 75 16, tow hitch w/brake harness, locks on storage bedsides, tailgate theft mod, heather blower tsb, custom bed rails, black front valance, mud flap delete, 12v full time power, seatbelt buzzer silenced, custom storage behind rear seat, bottom of cab painted, rear view mirror on/off switch, diff breather relocation,
    Welcome! Keep us posted.

11. May 28, 2012 at 6:19 PM
    randytrish

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    King , NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma SR5
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Have any of you guys did the trans line removal from the radiator on a Tacoma? I have two Volvo's and that's the procedure I've used on them for years. I've also did it on a full size Tahoe I used to own. You remove the trans line that is going to the radiator cooler and slide a hose over the end of it and place in a milk jug. Start the car and let it idle in park until the trans pumps the pan empty, usually around 20 seconds. Turn off the car and refill whatever you pumped out. You can mark a container and stop it at two quarts. It's easy to keep up with that way. You can usually see a difference in around 8 quarts. I usually do 12 quarts every 50k and at 12 quarts it looks like new. I'll have to locate my fluid, I'm curious to what the dealer wants for the Type VI. I'll have to pull the skid plate off and try to determine which line to disconnect. Does anyone by chance know? I'll keep you posted. It maybe toward the end of the week before I have time. Oh, is the Castol fluid mentioned above OK to use?
    Thanks,
    Randy

Products Discussed in

To Top