1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Thread, No Problems (now), need advice?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Changeling, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Dec 21, 2011 at 1:57 PM
    Changeling

Changeling [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma TRD SRD V6 X-Cab Limited Edition
    Guys I have a 1999 TRD extended cab 4X4, I absolutely love it (Not for sale). Just finished, new hood release cable and hood latch assembly, wires/plugs. Have kept it "Spot On" to Toyota specifications.

Current Problems: :mad:
    1. The darn emergency light comes/stays on all the time, nothing is wrong relative to the brakes, the light just stays on unless you push it in "more" by hand, it shuts off but comes on again as soon as you let loose of the E-handle, just a real PITA as I'm sure you can imagine! Toyota says they don't know, bring it to the dealer, YEA RIGHT!

2. Trying to find the best/great oil filter that doesn't cost as much as the dam Mobile 1's witch I have now heard aren't all that great in the first place!

I read an article/review on the Internet that spoke highly of the "Puraloter line of filters, who knows?

Changeling

2. Dec 21, 2011 at 2:15 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
  3. Dec 21, 2011 at 2:18 PM
    davidpick

davidpick NWXPDTN

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    1988 Pickup 22R 5sp 2wd
    Weber 32/36, RV Cam, LCE exhaust headers, Desmogged
    for the e-brake warning light, check your fluid level in the master cylinder. incorrect fluid level can often cause that light to be on. also check the adjustment as janster suggested.

as for the oil filters, you can learn quite a bit here (link) in a home-grown TW comparison. quite a bit of information in that thread.

4. Dec 21, 2011 at 2:23 PM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    ^great thread there. Factory oil filters FTW!

5. Dec 23, 2011 at 12:16 PM
    Changeling

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:

Janster, I wish I could say this worked or what davidpick suggested (brake fluid level) but afraid not.
    I'm at the point that I think I will just put a spring onto the E-brake with enough pressure to keep it (light) off, it doesn't take much and I have spent way to much time worrying about it. If it had a negative effect that would be another matter, but it doesn't!

Just cant believe Toyota would let something like this go on for so long without modifying the design.
    By the way Toyota told me to take it to the dealer, I just couldn't see a dealer type "BILL" for something like this.
    Thanks to all for there suggestions.
    Changeling

6. Dec 23, 2011 at 1:17 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Have you actually looked at your rear drum brakes? Take the wheels off and pull off the drum and take a look inside.
    1)Inspect the shoes - are they still good? Are they wearing evenly?
    2) what does the drum look like? Smooth?
    3) Is the brake area clean and free of dirt/mud?
    4) Is there anything broken (springs, etc)?
    5)Check the adjustor, make sure it moves freely.

When you put the drums back on - you have to make sure the 'adjuster'/brakes are adjusted properly. They should be adjusted enough that you just barely are able to get the drums back on. Too much slop when you put the drums back on means the brakes aren't adjusted properly.

Your truck is 12 years old.... and cables do stretch.

You also need to check the entire length of the cable itself and make sure it's moving freely in all the tracks/sheaths that it rides in. If its froze up somewhere...pulling the handle isn't doing anything.

7. Dec 23, 2011 at 2:33 PM
    Changeling

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Hello Janster, About 2 weeks or so ago I did a lot of things to my truck (as stated above), one of those was new breaks all around, Akebono pads in the front with new roters and new drum shoes in the rear (Bendix).

David I went to the link you gave me on the oil filters, very interesting, a really nice site.
    Now I have to find out if the Toyota 90915-YZZD3 oil filter will fit my TRD, it is normally listed for a 90915-YZZG1. However it sounds really great, just have to look it up now.
    The prices were really great also, although the link was in 2010, I hope the prices are still the same. take care and thank you.

Changeling

8. Dec 24, 2011 at 7:22 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I didn't see that you mentioned any modifications earlier....

Did you disconnect any brake lines that would require you to bleed the brakes?

You made sure the rear shoes were adjusted properly and the adjuster was moving freely?

I have a TRD Sport (4.0L) and I use the 90915-YZZD3 filters.
    You can also see what others are using here - (it's an old thread)
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/9025-oil-filter-oil-info-collected.html

Products Discussed in

To Top