1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Time DIY Oil Change 2.7l

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by FlightMedic178, Jan 11, 2014.

1. May 19, 2014 at 4:22 PM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    Messy filter change on the 2TR-FE? Nonsense. Just loosen the filter slightly (not enough to leak), cut a piece of cardboard about 5" x 11" (maybe curve it lengthwise like a half-pipe) and stuff it up between the filter and the block. The bottom end of the cardboard should wedge perfectly between a couple crossmembers. Put your drain pan under the cardboard, then loosen the filter and let that extra several ounces of oil drain onto the cardboard, which will direct it into the pan. After maybe 3-4 minutes, you can remove the filter (keeping it vertical) and only get a little on your hands, or use a plastic grocery bag for an extra clean job.

I honestly don't see a point in draining the pan longer than 5-10 minutes. There's always going to be at least 1/2 quart of old oil held up in the galleys of the engine no matter how long it drains.

car78412,
    I've never had a problem with the oil coming out of the drain hole with such force that it splatters. Yes it's a slightly larger oil capacity than an average gas engine, but it's not a massive quantity. Maybe your pan is super shallow? Or maybe you are jacking the truck up really high and the vertical oil drop is causing the splash? Something is up with that.

2. Jun 3, 2014 at 11:19 AM
    dunwur

dunwur Active Member

Member:
    toronto Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 tacoma sr5 4x4
    Here's a little trick in checking the oil level on your dipstick . Pull the dipstick out of the tube , wipe it off Then don't put it back in the tube right away . Let it sit for approx . 10 min . then insert the dipstick back in the tube . When you pull it back out to check oil level , You will have a nice clean readable oil level line . Works great with light oils like 0W20 , Don't know about heavier oils used in older engines .

Kees likes this.
  3. Jun 9, 2014 at 4:25 PM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    You've got everything, for the most part.
    That filter wrench is configured wrong for the location of the 2.7 oil filter. I usually don't need a wrench to get mine off.
    The procedure says to use a new plug gasket but it' not necessary. I've been using the same gasket for 4 years. As long as it's not over-torqued it should last a long time. Good to have a spare available though.

After draining the pan, reinstalling the plug, and mouting the new filter (pre-filled with fresh oil), I suggest adding the rest of the 5-qt jug you used to fill the filter and idle the engine for 20 seconds. Then check the level. You may find it's right in the midde between the ADD and FULL marks, in which case you are good to go. Some people prefer to add the extra half-quart to bring it right up to the full mark, but it is not necessary.

Everywhere I have read, anyone who puts in 6.1 with a new filter, the level is above the FULL mark, although usually not high enough to be a problem. I'm just saying the oil level is fine if it's between the marks and you may be just fine with 5qt.

You might need a funnel to add oil cleanly but not one like that.

4. Jun 10, 2014 at 4:38 PM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    Wrong, don't be a number 10 cheap charlie, use a new drain plug gasket every time. :rolleyes:

5. Jun 10, 2014 at 5:08 PM
    Xaks

Xaks Cranky & often armed sysadmin

Member:
    First Name:
    Xaks
    Oklahoma City area
    Vehicle:
    work beast '06 reg cab 4 cyl 5 spd
    Just out of curiousity, why replace it if it isn't leaking?

I've never replaced mine. Never leaked a drop, either. How much are they?

6. Jun 11, 2014 at 8:31 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    Have you had problems caused by re-using a drain plug gasket?

Myself and many, many others have never had any leaks or issues caused by re-using a drain plug gasket. I won't seek out a part I have never needed once, ever.

7. Jun 11, 2014 at 5:40 PM
    tacomathom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom

LOL! Are you guys for real or are you just trolling me?
    Renewing the drain plug gasket is part of the procedure listed by Toyota.
    Drain plug gaskets are not reusable even if they don't leak. It also serves as a "crush washer" to protect the oil pan. I paid $1.15 each at LHM Toyota Albuquerque last time I bought a box of oil filters. Some dealers give 'em out free.
    Treat your truck to a new drain plug gasket along with that new filter & fresh oil.

8. Jun 11, 2014 at 7:33 PM
    Xaks

Member:
    First Name:
    Xaks
    Oklahoma City area
    Vehicle:
    No, I'm not trolling you :)

I've been changing my own oil and doing mostly my own work on various and sundry motorized things for around 3 decades. I can count the number of times I've replaced a an oil pan plug gasket on my hands and have fingers left over.

So, take that! LOL

9. Jun 12, 2014 at 10:45 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    Every word x2, except I have never once replaced an oil drain plug gasket, ever. And I have never had any leaks or issues as a result.

So, this statement

is obviously false.

To each their own. I just don't make a habit of buying parts I don't need.

10. Jun 14, 2014 at 7:24 AM
    tacomathom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    I would be embarrassed to post a statement like that!

You're right, I should have said; gaskets, just like nylon lock nuts & condoms, are not designed to be reused. But I guess you can if it's an emergency or you're a real tight wad.

11. Jun 14, 2014 at 6:21 PM
    91r100gs

91r100gs Understand the Voice Within

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas City area
    Vehicle:
    '08 Impluse Red SR5 I-4
    Factory bed mat, TacomaWorld.com sticker, EGR In-Channel Vent Visors, AFE ProDryS drop in air filter
    Used 6 qt on my recent oil change for the first time, and the oil level is a full inch above the top fill mark. I used 6 qt because it was oil I acquired from a friend, and will not have any more of it so I used it all. Next time i will only use 5½ qt and save the rest for my lawn mower.

12. Jun 14, 2014 at 6:37 PM
    91r100gs

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas City area
    Vehicle:
    '08 Impluse Red SR5 I-4
    Factory bed mat, TacomaWorld.com sticker, EGR In-Channel Vent Visors, AFE ProDryS drop in air filter
    Mine get changed every other oil change. I flip it over and get two uses, and it still cinches down with that bit of a cushion feeling, they are a very soft metal. I have gone 5 to 6 uses with no problems at times. I found genuine washers on Amazon from a Toyota dealer in Florida. They were 89¢ each when I bought 10. Shipping was free with my Amazon Prime.

13. Jul 3, 2014 at 6:33 PM
    IrishGiant

IrishGiant El Kabong!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Chesapeake
    Vehicle:
    04 4Runner SR5 4wd
    Trying not to sound like an ass but I can get my 2.7L oil filter off with no oil filter wrenches of any sort...lol. Good ole eblow grease does the trick :D

14. Jul 3, 2014 at 7:16 PM
    s3bpc1

s3bpc1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 RC
    Stock
    I haven't bought a new one either for any of the cars that I have had.

15. Jul 5, 2014 at 7:30 AM
    dunwur

dunwur Active Member

Member:
    toronto Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 tacoma sr5 4x4
    I have done all oil changes on every vehicle I have ever owned and never replaced a plug gasket ( over 50 yrs . ) . Why do you guys insist on throwing away money and scaring new drivers into thinking they must replace these parts or their engines will self destruct if they don't " Do as you do " . C'mon guys , Get real .... Be carefull you don't cross thread the plug hole and all will be well ....

16. Jul 5, 2014 at 1:43 PM
    91r100gs

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas City area
    Vehicle:
    '08 Impluse Red SR5 I-4
    45¢ every oil change is not wasting money, it is cheap insurance against disaster. unless you can buy a engine for 45¢. When I was out of washers for a while, I used mine 5 or 6 times and it was getting pretty thin by that point.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  17. Jul 6, 2014 at 12:36 PM
    tacomathom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It is hilarious that some of you log on to a national forum, dedicated to the Toyota Tacoma & brag about doing half-ass work on your trucks! :rofl:
    The fact that you've gotten away with it for years is irrelevant. Toyota says to use a NEW oil drain plug gasket EACH & EVERY oil change. Doing it any other way is WRONG.

18. Jul 6, 2014 at 12:56 PM
    Xaks

Member:
    First Name:
    Xaks
    Oklahoma City area
    Vehicle:
    Uhm, no actually.

Well, maybe 'wrong' in the sense of 'forgetting to rewind the movie before taking it back to Blockbuster' "wrong". Technically correct is the best kind of correct, or something.

Remember, this is the same Toyota that 'said' floor mats were causing 'unintended acceleration'. :eyeroll:

Not everything Toyota 'says' is right, accurate, or without reason. And, in this context, putting a new seal/gasket on the drain plug for every oil change....is simply not required or necessary. If you leave the plug so loose that oil would come out without a new gasket, you're going to be fucked long before your next oil change is due for a different reason.

tonytsai0429 likes this.
  19. Jul 6, 2014 at 4:56 PM
    s3bpc1

s3bpc1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 RC
    Stock
    Until I see that the gasket is jacked up or leaking, I won't be needing a new one. The one on there works fine right now.
    This, to me, is like going in for a tire rotation, seeing that the tires are a little worn, and just getting new tires because they aren't new. It's an unnecessary waste of money.
    That being said, you can continue to use a new one at each and every oil change. Its your money, do whatever you want. As for me, I refuse to waste money like that, so I will continue to use the old one.

20. Jul 6, 2014 at 10:45 PM
    tacomathom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    I just don't get it? Are these the same guys that throw good oil away every 3000 miles yet say I'm wasting money (a whole $1.10) on a new drain plug gasket each oil change? :confused:
    I'm not saying you can't use the same drain plug gasket for years, but if you don't use a new one each time you didn't do the job correctly.
    I'll tell you something else, if you're doing this to your customers trucks not only are you a shit mechanic, but you're a dishonest one too.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top