1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First time wheeling in Moab, what parts should I bring?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by rimfire7, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Apr 23, 2021 at 7:15 PM
    rimfire7

rimfire7 [OP] I'm here for the tacos

Member:
    First Name:
    beth
    Vehicle:
    2021 army green taco
    Toytec lift, old man emu springs, Victory 4x4 front bumper and skids, light bar
    I have the 3rd gen (2021) and my husband and I are off to Colorado and Moab for some wheeling. I've been several times but we were in his X-terra. He would bring replacement parts for it that we might need on the trail and once on the road. Are there any parts that tend to break easily or often on the taco? Is there a part that could break on the trail that is hard to get at a local auto parts store? I have a pretty decent tool kit and recovery kit started and a winch. TIA

2. Apr 23, 2021 at 7:23 PM
    Bishop84

Bishop84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Tacoma is much more capable, xterras sit really close to the ground, even lifted they don't compare to the tacoma.

The only thing that breaks on "normal" trails is the rear axle wiring harness if flexed too much and aggressively.

You really don't need to worry about much with these trucks. An extra spare tire would be the best choice in my opinion.

Rock crawling and bashing is when you want to upgrade skids, arms and spindles later on.

rimfire7[OP] likes this.
  3. Apr 23, 2021 at 7:35 PM
    RedWings44

RedWings44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD Off Road 4x4, 2019 MGM 4Runner SR5
    I wouldn't go that far about the Xterra. The Tacoma has 9.4" of ground clearance from the factory and the Xterra has up to 9.5" from the factory. Plus it has a much shorter wheel base.

DavesTaco68 and rimfire7[OP] like this.
  4. Apr 23, 2021 at 7:41 PM
    rimfire7

Member:
    First Name:
    beth
    Vehicle:
    2021 army green taco
    That's what we plan to do in Moab - smash and bash! lol I do have the armor and skids and sliders. Lift. Bigger tires. I just want to be prepared. Thanks.

5. Apr 23, 2021 at 7:45 PM
    rimfire7

Member:
    First Name:
    beth
    Vehicle:
    2021 army green taco
    His X was a tank. He lifted it twice, I think the second one was 4". Tires were huge. All kinds of armor. It was really capable.

RedWings44[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Apr 23, 2021 at 8:11 PM
    Bishop84

Bishop84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Look under an xterra next time you see one, the frame is the issue, its really low, the tacoma has a much higher cross over.

I own an xterra for reference so I can bash them lol. It bottoms out a lot where Tacomas do not.

7. Apr 23, 2021 at 8:17 PM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    I always bring a spare cv axle on technical trails, and of course the tools needed to change it. Full size spare tire, jack, recovery tools, etc. Moab rock is incredibly grippy when dry which is great for traction but if you're too generous on the throttle can be bad for your cv axles.

rimfire7[OP] likes this.
  8. Apr 23, 2021 at 8:59 PM
    mk5

mk5 Probably wrong about this

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '05 access cab 4x4
    Bring a good camera, Moab is awesome. Post pictures here!

Most likely to fail is a tire. Bring a spare at least as good as your other tires, plus the correct tools to change/repair tires off highway. The factory jack might not (and in fact probably won't) go high enough especially on uneven terrain. Carry a tire patch kit and air compressor so you can fix less severe problems without needing the spare. If you really want to bash your truck on rocks just for the sake of bashing your truck on rocks, then sure you can probably break anything else on your truck with enough effort. But if you just want to explore the trails and enjoy the place, then you'll probably have a great time without needing to replace a drive shaft or engine piston or whatever.

However, and this is important, you should have a survival plan for the unlikely case that you do wind up stranded, especially if driving solo. Food, water, shelter--enough to survive until rescued, plus a bit more. There are two sides to that equation, you can have really good survival stuff, or have really good plans in place for a speedy rescue, but whatever plan you pick, it needs to be physically in place before your trip, not just in your head or saved-for-later shopping cart. No quantity of spare parts or tools is as important as having a survival plan.

Last time in Moab I forgot a bottle opener, make sure to bring one of those too.

And don't forget to bring a towel.

Cheers.

9. Apr 23, 2021 at 9:04 PM
    RedWings44

RedWings44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD Off Road 4x4, 2019 MGM 4Runner SR5
    I'm also familiar with the Xterra as a family member has one. The Tacoma would likely have a lot better ground clearance and break over if it weren't for the way the exhaust pipe sticks down behind the front tires.

10. Apr 23, 2021 at 9:09 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    cv axle, a spare lower control arm, tools, jacks maybe jack stands. If you have the cash spare drive shaft. breaker bar and trq wrench. A spare serpentine belt. Tie rods.

11. Apr 23, 2021 at 9:14 PM
    dfanonymous

dfanonymous Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo Blue Tacoma TRD Pro.
    -Shmellfab rocksliders.... -BD ditch lights -Cali raised ditch light brackets -Sway bar discos -Auxbeam aux 6 gang -Uptop Bravo -Rci trans skid -Rci cat guards -Trd pro eibach lift springs -Hypertech speedo calibrator Etc.
    If you’re stock then I’d say spare tire and CV.

rimfire7[OP] likes this.
  12. Apr 24, 2021 at 8:14 AM
    rimfire7

Member:
    First Name:
    beth
    Vehicle:
    2021 army green taco
    I am not stock and I do have a full sized spare.

13. Apr 27, 2021 at 4:51 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    Just by the type of question you're asking, I'm going to assume you're a novice/intermediate driver, and thus should be sticking to the moderate trails. Forgive me if that's not the case.

As long as you are careful with your throttle, the chances of breaking a major component are pretty slim on those types of trails. Carrying spare control arms and driveshafts is completely overkill IMO. Going out on double black diamonds or a long-haul expedition, sure, but hitting some moderate trails? Nah. I've never heard of anyone breaking a lower control arm, like never. And if in the very unlikely event you smash your drive shaft, you still have 2 more drive wheels and a tow strap to get you back to civilization.

CVs are a good thing to carry, but as I said, as long as you're easy on the throttle, you're unlikely to break much on moderate trails. If you've never changed one or don't have the tools to change one, there's isn't much point to bringing a spare one anyway. You'd probably be better off just driving back in 3wd.

Bring a full sized spare tire, basic fluids (coolant, trans, engine oil), basic hand tools, duct tape, zip ties, bailing wire, tow strap/stanch strap, and some other basic safety/recovery gear, and you'll be fine.

The more stuff you bring, the heavier you get, and more more likely you WILL break something. Less is more.

Products Discussed in

To Top