1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fishing Rod Holder question and Ideas!

Discussion in 'Boating & Fishing' started by gatorboyy13, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Apr 2, 2012 at 10:28 AM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
  2. Apr 2, 2012 at 10:29 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    ok cool.

3. Apr 2, 2012 at 10:29 AM
    toughtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
  4. Apr 2, 2012 at 10:30 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes those do look very nice, I have never fished one.

5. Apr 2, 2012 at 10:31 AM
    toughtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I am rocking this reel out now

[​IMG]

But we are taking this thread a little off topic....

6. Apr 2, 2012 at 10:32 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    hey KPT. have you thought about making a slot so to speak. so the goes down farther.

kinda like the ones i got at wal mart.[​IMG]

7. Apr 2, 2012 at 10:33 AM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    aahh yeah, yeah my bad. baitcaster is the ones i always screw up. . . but i love fishing. i go everyweek once the weather's warm. but my entire rod/reel/tackle probably adds up to less than $200. i like to fly fish with my good ole shakespere rod and reel, and catch whatever will bite a worm, crank bait, jig, etc on a pond or river.

im cheap, so i just make the best out of a my budget friendly hobby. :)

8. Apr 2, 2012 at 10:38 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    It was under $100 :woot:
    I considered it, but I've never had any problems with my setup, even at 70 mph on the highway, so :notsure:

9. Apr 2, 2012 at 10:38 AM
    toughtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Nothing wrong with fishing on a budget, fish are not trendy snobs. And as far as cheap fly fishing, I dont think that can be done. Every flyfishing reel I have ever seen are over $200. But I do know of cheap combo deals.

10. Apr 2, 2012 at 10:43 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    ok cool. bet mine will ride good than! i did not have PVC laying around and did not want to buy some. thought i would try the $5 once at wal mart. if they don’t work i may use pvc or something.

11. Apr 2, 2012 at 10:43 AM
    jgwheeler17

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    neglect, mostly.
    man ive been fly fishing since i was 10 years old. here's the way i look at fly reels - you don't cast with it. you don't reel it in with any tension on it. why spend a lot of money on one? after every throw you pull out about 2 foot of line by hand, and the snatch it back, and then lay it back down. when you catch a fish, you spool it in with your hand. you dont reel it in. so frankly, i don't care kind of gears, metal alloys, etc are in it. as long as i can crank it back in to start a new casting series, that's all that matters to me. . . and a rod that doesn't break haha.

$50 is more than enough to buy a fly fishing combo for anyone in my opinion. :cool:

12. Apr 2, 2012 at 10:46 AM
    toughtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I have never flyfished before so I have no clue on what would be considered a good rod and reel combo.

13. Apr 2, 2012 at 10:56 AM
    jgwheeler17

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    neglect, mostly.
    http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=EOd5T8GkFIOy8AS22tmFCg&ved=0CGMQ8wIwAQ

works fine for starters ^^

just get it, a few different types of flys, maybe a vest and you're good to go.

there's nothing better than wadding out to the middle of a river up to your waste with a few beers in your vest and fly rod in hand. you just stand there and fish, piss on yourself and drink. pretty hard to beat. ;)

14. Apr 2, 2012 at 10:58 AM
    toughtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ^^^Haha...........

15. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:12 PM
    gatorboyy13

gatorboyy13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Corvallis, OR
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB Black
    CustomCarGrilles Small Perf & "TOYOTA" Grille Insert CaliRaised 31" Light Bar w/ ApexFab Stealth Mounts Header Rail w/Bike Mount
    I know a good amount of y’all have a fishing rod holder set up already but I have been working pretty hard on this design for a very sturdy and functional rod holder. The thing about this one is that it is designed for a toolbox. It is removable and can be stored away when you aren’t using it. I have thought of multiple options, like a single rod holder, multiple rods (up to 4 or 5), something to secure the rods in the holder for your worrying purposes and it can be made at any angle you want.
    Here are a few pictures of the design it self, let me know what you guys think!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The holes are where a pvc rod holder would be placed btw

16. Apr 7, 2012 at 8:02 AM
    Taco Dan

Taco Dan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser auto 4X4
    Snorkel, Cooper ST Maxx 255/80/17, diff breather relocate, Cobra ultra III cb radio set up Warrior Products front bumper
    looking good brian. its similar to what im about to do. i had to first reconfigure my rails on the bed since i wanted to use them along with my roll up toneau cover. hopefully today i can work on it, ill send you some pics of what im talking about.

17. Apr 7, 2012 at 6:53 PM
    Taco Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser auto 4X4
    Snorkel, Cooper ST Maxx 255/80/17, diff breather relocate, Cobra ultra III cb radio set up Warrior Products front bumper
    OK! im done with mine. tell me what you think. it holds 3. the reason mine took so long was relocating the bed rails. i bought the actual holder at Academy and then rivited it to the bracket i made to utilize the bed rails. I extended the to space to clear the wheel well. the rod holder comes in a pack of two, i may make one for the other side later.

rail1.jpg
    Rail2.jpg
    Holder1.jpg
    Holder2.jpg
    Holder3.jpg
    Holder4.jpg
    Finished1.jpg
    Finished2.jpg
    Finished3.jpg
    In Use1.jpg
    In Use2.jpg
    In Use3.jpg

18. Apr 8, 2012 at 1:56 PM
    gatorboyy13

gatorboyy13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Corvallis, OR
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB Black
    CustomCarGrilles Small Perf & "TOYOTA" Grille Insert CaliRaised 31" Light Bar w/ ApexFab Stealth Mounts Header Rail w/Bike Mount
    I really like what you got there! Mine would just be geared towards toolbox owners

19. Apr 8, 2012 at 3:46 PM
    Taco Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser auto 4X4
    yeah your design would be perfect on the toolbox of your first gen. tacoma. keep us posted when you make it!

20. Apr 12, 2012 at 2:49 PM
    Rich11

Rich11 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Grey Tacoma 2011

Products Discussed in

To Top