1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fitting non-standard double DIN

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by buyobuyo, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Dec 4, 2018 at 6:15 AM
    buyobuyo

buyobuyo [OP] Read The Fucking Manual

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5, I4, Manual, Silver
    A thing or two...
    So it's finally time to upgrade the stock radio in my 08.

The Joying units seem to get decent reviews on here and the price point is good. I went ahead and ordered the one that I liked that they had listed as fitting our trucks. I emailed before ordering to confirm that it would fit, which they confirmed. However, now they're saying that it won't fit. They're offering to exchange it, but the alternate unit is larger than the 2DIN standard as well.

What I'm wondering is how much work is it to make a non-standard unit fit in a 2DIN adapter like a Metra or Scosche.

The unit that I ordered is 200x100 mm, and the unit they're offering to swap it for is 178x100 mm. Metra and Scosche list 173x96.85 mm as the max face size.

2. Dec 4, 2018 at 7:12 AM
    fritzthecat

fritzthecat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Auto AccCab Indigo
    I have a Joying Unit which measures 178x100. The Scoshe kit fits perfectly. However, there is no room to spare so I'd say the 200x100 unit would need extensive mods of the adapter kit.

Fritz

3. Apr 18, 2019 at 8:38 AM
    buyobuyo

buyobuyo [OP] Read The Fucking Manual

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5, I4, Manual, Silver
    A thing or two...
    Just to update this for other's future reference. I bought a Metra kit, and it didn't fit the Joying unit. Joying suggested the CarAV 11-114. It fit the radio face, but none of the screw holes in the side plates lined up with the radio. A coworker printed new side plates for me to make it work. One thing that I'm not thrilled about is that the CarAV kit doesn't use the factory bolts to secure the radio. It's just the trim clips holding it all in.

Products Discussed in

To Top