1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fitting OTRATTW Contura V/Carling in stock switch location

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BBYE V8, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Mar 23, 2013 at 4:04 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Those with manual trannies just go overhead. You can try to work switches in around the cupholders but then you get the joy of accidentally turning on your front locker while doing 70 on the interstate when attempting to set your morning coffee down.

Another option for guys with autos...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have since added another two switches on either side of the round interior light switch just in front of my CB mic in this last picture. One will be for rock lights. The other...to be determined. I don't need it, but I went ahead and put it in while I had everything torn apart just for symmetry.

2. Mar 23, 2013 at 5:18 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I have all lights and a compressor (with a pressure cutoff switch) on my switches. Manual guys gotta be careful because they should be going crawlbox and thus have the ADD, etc. wired in.

Also, my friends know fucking better than to flip mystery switches when catching a ride. They've been lectured :p

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  3. Mar 23, 2013 at 7:45 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I've got that tray packed with change and my sunglasses :eek: I have an SR5 though, lots of locations to the left of the steering wheel. Base models do have some perks!

4. Mar 24, 2013 at 5:08 AM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    If I could do it over I'd get an SR5 and build it, knowing what I know now about the e-locker.

5. Apr 11, 2013 at 5:35 PM
    Mitch

Mitch Somebody call for a Wambulance?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Lights, Siren, Drugs, Needles, Electricity
    Nice write up. Ill be using this next week to do my lights. Can I ask how you wired your factory fogs up to the aftermarket switch please

6. Apr 11, 2013 at 7:12 PM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
  7. Apr 11, 2013 at 7:50 PM
    Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Bay
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Icon Suspension with CDCV, SPC Light Racing UCAs, Wheeler's 3 Leaf AAL, Wheeler's Superbumps, sPod SE BAMF Sliders, All-Pro Skids, AFE Drop in filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, RCI Aluminum LCA Skids, BAMF Bed Brackets, 4X Innovations Rear Bumper, FX-R Retrofit Headlights with Philips 4300k, Custom Nestah Edition Firestik AM/FM Antenna, Famous Fab Hood brackets, FrontRunner SlimLine 2 Roof Rack, Mob Town Offroad tailgate reinforcement plate, Ram A pillar mount, Anti-Dark hood lights, Lots of LED lights,
    Very clean. Could pass for stock

8. Apr 11, 2013 at 11:05 PM
    Mitch

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Very nice. I ended up going with red/red for my lights. I would have gone red/amber but they were out of amber.

9. Apr 12, 2013 at 12:14 AM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    Thanks guys. Customer service was impressive. Called and told him what I wanted, he sent an email with pics of a couple of the switches not listed on the website, and a week later they showed up operating as requested.

10. Apr 12, 2013 at 9:54 AM
    Mitch

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    I'll say. They were very helpful and friendly. They care even making me a switch they don't offer on the website

11. Apr 15, 2013 at 2:21 PM
    BBYE V8

BBYE V8 [OP] Please keep TW beautiful: search & stay on topic

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    StL, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 4x4 2.7 5sp SR5
    Thanks! Just trying to give a little back to the forum.

As for wiring the factory fogs to aftermarket switch: I did not have fog lights installed from the factory. My 4 cylinder SR5 has the dashboard wiring harness for them, but that's it, I bought used factory fog lights and ran my own wires to them. But I still think I can help.

The second and third picture below shows the plug that goes into your factory fog light switch. I used only the "top" two wires in the picture to power & dim the light inside the OTRATTW switch; I think you will use all four, but you will have to figure out which of the "bottom" two wires is power (when headlights are on), and which goes to the factory fog light relay.

First of all, my advice only applies to OTRATTW switches that come with the wiring diagram that looks like this (ignore the little hand drawn diagram in the photo):

[​IMG]

Pin #3 to the relay that powers your lights. That should be one of the two "bottom" wires in the factory plug.

Pin #6 goes to ground, any ground, that is close and reliable.

Pin #2 goes to your FUSED power source; you should find one of the "bottom" two wires in the factory fogs will be a good source.

Pins #7 and #8 are for the upper LED inside the switch. In my opinion, you paid good money to have switches that look as good as factory ones, so you might as well go through the trouble of making them operate as good as factory ones. That means tapping into the dimmer controlled light circuit for the dashboard. Using that circuit will make your new switches illuminate when your parking lights are on and dim when you dim the dash lights. I used the top two pins of the fog light plug pictured below:
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the out of focus picture. I've forgotten which pins of this plug is positive and which is negative; but that is easy to figure out with a voltage tester, test light or maybe someone else will chime in. I believe the top one is positive the second is negative, but I'm just not sure of myself. You need to tap both the negative AND positive from this plug for pins #7 & 8. Do NOT use a ground for the negative. You can splice into these wires, tap them, back probe the plug or you can do what I did with two blade connectors:
    [​IMG]

I hope what I've written & pictured so far makes sense and helps you out.

When installing new accessories and switches there are other sources of power. My fuse box has a couple of empty fuses to choose from (yours may not). Since I wanted my rear lights, fog lights and HID lights to turn off if the parking lights turned off, I tapped a headlight circuit:
    [​IMG]

But if you wanted the accessory to turn off whenever the ignition is off you could tap into:
    [​IMG]

I would only use these circuits to trigger a relay, not to power the accessory itself.

12. Apr 23, 2013 at 7:21 AM
    Mitch

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Well mine shipped yesterday so this weekend I'll be wiring up the fog lights. I think I'm gonna totally bypass the factory wiring

13. May 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM
    lockwire24

lockwire24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    2012 MG DBL cab LB TRD sport
    Cobra CB, Firestik II w/ Relentless hood mount, 4x Innovation sliders, Level 8 tracker pro, TRD exhaust, home made grill insert, Leer XR, led bed lights, King shocks, LR uca, Pelfreybuilt front/rear bumpers and skid plates, B.A.M.F. rear shock relocate.
    I hope no one minds me putting this here. I knew I was going to have more than two switches down the line so I made a plate and put mine in the cubby with a six bank. I was going to use four screws to hold it in but the way it sits I don't need them. Currently I just have my ARB oba installed and waiting for my light bar to get here. The switches are green lower and amber upper.

DSC_0013_zps62f2759a_f65aad2c396eb3cb4d384c6fc13eaa7d1f19538c.jpg

14. May 16, 2013 at 10:13 PM
    Mitch

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Its exactly what I did. When I end up ordering a new set of fogs all I have to do is run the single wire through the cab to the switch from the relay

15. Nov 8, 2013 at 5:42 AM
    PaulK

PaulK Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Dublin, OH (but still a Pittsburgh guy)
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black Baja Access Cab
    Are there any switches that would fit in the factory blanks next to the 12-volt outlets? These are the only two factory switch locations not used in my 2013 OR, and I don't want to start adding custom pannels while they are unused.

Switches.jpg

16. Nov 16, 2013 at 3:34 PM
    MacDougl

MacDougl Active Member

Member:
    Greenville, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '10 Access Cab 4x4
    Window visors, fog light mod, bed storage locker locks, aftermarket stereo, lighted 4x4 switch, lighted console
    I'm also curious on this. I want to do the console mod and mount my switch here.

17. Nov 16, 2013 at 5:10 PM
    rockhopjohn

rockhopjohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    ID, MT, ND, I'm a transient
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma T|X Baja
  18. Nov 16, 2013 at 7:25 PM
    MacDougl

MacDougl Active Member

Member:
    Greenville, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '10 Access Cab 4x4
    Window visors, fog light mod, bed storage locker locks, aftermarket stereo, lighted 4x4 switch, lighted console
    Oops. Sorry. Missed it.
    Comes from thread search overload.

Thanks.

19. Dec 1, 2013 at 2:00 PM
    lemons

lemons LOCO 4X4

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC Offroad 4X4
    Icon coil overs W/King 14 inch 700lb springs and super bump bump stops, Allpro Expo leaf springs, Allpro Ubolt kit W/timbren Bump stops, Dif Drop Kit, Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, Badges painted Rust-Oleum bed liner, Color Matched TRD Sport Grill W/Grille Craft Insert, TRD seat covers, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Flyzeye's , fog light anytime mod, ABS Off mod, ATO skid plates, ATO rear H/C bumper, BAMF sliders w/kick out, CBI front bumper, Engo 10000lb winch, Rigid D2 foglights, Piaa 510 fog lights, cobra CB w/firestix antenna, AFE snorkel
    sub'd for later.

20. Dec 1, 2013 at 4:29 PM
    PaulK

PaulK Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Dublin, OH (but still a Pittsburgh guy)
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black Baja Access Cab
    The link doesn't work. Nothing other than TundraPart.com's homepage works.

Products Discussed in

To Top