1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fixed a problem with a flame thrower, angle grinder, and a sledge hammer!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JTech, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Apr 6, 2009 at 6:22 PM
    JTech

JTech [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Silver 09 Double Cab 4x4 Sr5 Off-Road
    Locking Bed Boxes, built in air compressor, Husky Liners(not really a mod but I love them)
    So to start with a little background on why i built this skid plate. When I went to buy my 09 dcor I was disturbed to see that the lowest part of the truck is the exhaust crossover that is routed under the transfer case. This has to be one of the stupidest things I have seen in a while. I got the truck anyway because I figured one little flaw was ok. After a few wheeling trips into the mountains I noticed the exhaust tubing was a little flatter than it had been when i got the truck and had some good divits in it. That meant it was time to get a skid plate. Well since I don't have $400 for a allpro skid I decided to build my own.

[​IMG]From Skid Plate_1

The only tools I had down at school with me were a flame thrower for killing weeds, a $10 Angle grinder from harbor freight, a mini sledge hammer, and basic hand tools. Oh yeah and a jack that can't actually get my truck off the ground with out 4 in of wood under it. I figured what the hell i would try anyway.

[​IMG]

So to start I went to a used building supply place and picked up 18" of 4.5" 1/8" walled steel pipe for $5.

Since I didn't have a vice big enough to hold the pipe i put a 2x2 through the pipe and screwed the 2x2 to a piece of mdf.

[​IMG]

My plan was to mount one side of the pipe to the frame next to the exhaust pipe and the other side of the pipe to the same place the transfer case skid plate attaches. I know this second location might put undue stress on the transfer case if i drop the truck on it but it will work until i can get home to a welder and some real metal.

I started by cutting a 2" chunk out of the pipe and from there started trimming the pipe to fit under the truck. Sadly I was working alone so I didn't have anybody to take pictures of this step.

[​IMG]

After all the cutting was down I used the flame thrower to heat the metal and then the sledge to bend the tabs so they would mount flush to the frame.

[​IMG]From Skid Plate_1
    I then used some of the left over metal to make straps to mount to the transfer case skid. After I did a test fit i took everything off and painted them all with KBS coatings rust converter. I had some of the paint sitting around from coating my fiance's jeep and figured why not use it. KBS claims it will bond to the metal and never come off. We will see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a note about the coating. Don't let it get on your skin. i don't care what you do it will not come off. last time I used it I made that mistake and had black splotches all over my arm for 2 weeks.

After letting the paint dry overnight I used some grade eight 3/8" bolts to put everything together.

[​IMG]

The clearance on the exhaust pipe is about 1/8-1/16 of an inch, and the clearance from the ground to the skid plate is 8.5".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All together I am happy with it for the tools I had. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but hopefully will sometime this week.

2. Apr 6, 2009 at 6:26 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    Awesome Project bro. I like it--Creative.. Rep coming your way :thumbsup:

3. Apr 6, 2009 at 6:46 PM
    archerytarget

archerytarget BTHOB

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner SR5
    Brush guard, KC HiLites SlimLites, Chrome tube side steps, Deck plate mod, Cobra 19 Ultra III, 2' cb antenna, Painted black stock wheels, TSC toolbox, Sprayed-on bedliner, Trailer hitch, Homemade headache rack with rear lights, spidertrax spacers, 3" OME coilover lift
    very nice..

4. Apr 6, 2009 at 6:47 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Pretty slick. DIY is the way to go. Nice work!!!

5. Apr 6, 2009 at 7:16 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Well Done!

6. Apr 6, 2009 at 7:22 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    very nice, it looks like i have something else on the to do list for this summer. let us know how it holds up on the trails

7. Apr 6, 2009 at 7:24 PM
    Hardcorehehaw

Hardcorehehaw 1 man wolf pack

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray PreRunner
    Debadged, 20" Liquid Metal Magmas, Yokohama Parada Spec x 285/50/20, Llumar clear bra, Fold-A-Cover G4, Weathertech liners, Wet Okole seat covers, JBS technologies keyless entry keypad.
    Hopefully it won't hurt your transfer case! Looks good though man, better than I could do.

8. Apr 6, 2009 at 11:43 PM
    JTech

Member:
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Locking Bed Boxes, built in air compressor, Husky Liners(not really a mod but I love them)
    Thanks for the support guys! Always glad other people enjoy this stuff as much as I do!

9. Apr 7, 2009 at 12:11 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Good to hear you didn't get any on your hootus.

10. Apr 7, 2009 at 7:33 AM
    Janks

Janks Active Member

Member:
    London, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    05, TRD sport. Speedway Blue
    3"Trail Master lift, 31x11.5x17 MT Bias Belted...
    Great work man.. Theres a Canadian Band who does a tune called "Makeshift As We Are". Great tune that completely describes How we (man) do these things.

Good Job

Jim

11. Apr 7, 2009 at 11:10 AM
    JTech

Member:
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    That would be ideal but i definitely don't have that skill nor the money to get it done. A nice lift would also help with the problem but alas I have to wait til after I pay off my wedding and my soon to be wife's school loans.:(

12. Apr 7, 2009 at 11:29 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Good job man, well done!!

13. Apr 8, 2009 at 3:26 PM
    JTech

Member:
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    So I have an update. over the last couple days since I put on the skid plate i notice alot of vibration in the cab when i was idleing. It was to the point were even my seat was vibrating and the glove box was rattling. Since it started right after I finished she skid plat I figured that is the first place to check before letting Toyota deal with it. So I took off the straps that connect the skid to the transfercase and all of the sudden the vibrations are gone. I did alittle looking and it appears all the mounts for the tranny and t-case have dampeners on them. So for now I will leave the straps off until i figure out a different way to mount them, or a way to dampen them. Anyone have any ideas?

14. Apr 8, 2009 at 4:36 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    :laugh: :laugh: I thought about that while reading this

15. Apr 8, 2009 at 5:11 PM
    Danzer

Danzer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Peoria
    Vehicle:
    22 SR5 4x4 AT
    Stock for now

Well I had to look up "hootus" to see what that meant. What a hilarious story that was. Now I'm glad you didn't get any on hootus either.

16. Apr 8, 2009 at 6:11 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Thats the first thing I thought of when he said it won't come off.

Nice DIY project!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top