1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fixed creaky clutch, but...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jmgtp, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Jan 8, 2018 at 5:25 AM
    jmgtp

jmgtp [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2013 2.7 4x4 5sp
    None
    Creaky clutch, what a Toyota malady! A few years back I took apart the plastic clutch pedal assembly and greased the pivot point with a plastic safe water resistant grease (for pool o-rings). That squeaky problem is still solved. But the creaky sound from the underside is where the external slave cylinder rod engages the clutch fork. On my last oil change I unbolted the slave cylinder put a few dabs of wheel bearing grease in the cup of the fork and put it back together. Worked perfect, no creaks or squeaks from the clutch and the pedal felt smoother. I suspect that is because when it creaks it is binding a bit and more ‘juddery’ in its actuation.

Now, a few weeks later I used a 90 degree adapter on my pressure washer (1700 psi electric) to clean the salt off the frame and drivetrain and of course washed out the grease. The creak is back and the slight juddery sensation in the clutch actuation has returned. Anyone fix this more permanently? Almost like this needs something durable and plastic between the two to last. I’ve had other vehicles with external slave cylinders that bolt to the bellhousing, but where the rod actuated on the fork is protected by the bellhousing and this is non issue. Too bad it is exposed to the elements otherwise grease would last a lot longer. I do have a Teflon spray coating but I’m not sure how durable it will be on a part with a significant amount of friction, force applied and used so frequently.

2. Jan 8, 2018 at 5:32 AM
    sjwhitaker

sjwhitaker Today Was A Good Day.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Berea, KY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Offroad 6MT - Icon Stage 2 - 285/75/16 Falken AT3W
    Before I replaced my master and slave cylinder I had a creak that was solved with a silicone spray. Since I've installed the new setup it has been quiet as a mouse. The new master is solid steel instead of plastic which I thought was a nice upgrade, should have been that way from the get go! 20170904_081733.jpg

3. Jan 8, 2018 at 6:14 AM
    jmgtp

jmgtp [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2013 2.7 4x4 5sp
    None
    I don’t believe my creaky soundness is internal to the master/slave because I have been able to temporarily remediate it with a dab of grease of the slave cylinder rod to clutch release fork contact point. It’s just rust and binding on that contact point. Grease works, just temporarily.

Products Discussed in

To Top