1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fixed passenger side "dash rattle"....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CRFan1, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Oct 19, 2011 at 12:49 PM
    TuffTaco

TuffTaco Member

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2021 DC TRD Sport

Thanks!!!! I am pretty sure this will fix that ticking noise I have been hearing every morning on my way to work. I have tried every other solution that has been posted on here, but that damn glovebox ticking noise would not go away. After checking the truck out, there is no doubt that plastic harness cover is rubbing the metal HVAC bracket. I really believe this should solve it once and for all. :cool:

2. Oct 19, 2011 at 5:44 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    That's a nice find.

Already tried adhesive felt on the center console (now tight as a drum), the glovebox door, the plastic above it, around the airbag module lower bolts, tying down the vertical harness closest to the door, moving the harness in the passenger side kick panel, and lining the small outer panel by the door. Who knows where else I've done and forgot already.

That HVAC bracket now has felt between it and the harness. Will have to wait until morning to know if it helped any. What a nightmare!

My dad used to drive his 1st gen everywhere with a ballpoint pen stuck between the dash and windshield. Put more than thirty thousand miles on that pen and the rattle never came back. Already tried that on this one, no dice.

When I was messing around today a piece of pink plastic about 3" long just fell out of the upper dash. I wasn't even working up there. I hope it wasn't important!

3. Jan 31, 2017 at 7:45 PM
    Theemeraldstrikesback

Theemeraldstrikesback New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 4x4 V6 SR5
    I have a 2017, started rattling pretty badly at 1k-2k rpm, 30-45 mph - basically my whole commute. I was going insane and wondering what I have done buying this new truck, only 1500 miles in. I haven't even gone off road yet. My 259K mile 4x4 F150 does not rattle.

1) it goes away when dash heats up from sun. Winter exposed it, I suppose.
    2) I did a bunch of stuff under dash, but main problem by far is side of dash rattling against the plastic strip up the corner of windshield. I folded a piece of paper until 8 sheets thick, and crammed it down in between the dash and that seems to have solved the issue. When the dash cools, the space between is a little wider.

Now I am hypersensitive to every minor rattle and perceived rattle. I think I am imagining them now. Thanks, Toyota.

4. Mar 2, 2020 at 12:00 AM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    Thread revive. I got a very intermittent squeak behind the dash that I can hear when going over certain bumps that just developed either yesterday or today. It is own single small squeak that does it over random bumps. I cannot duplicate it every time.

It sounds like it is either behind the radio or the glovebox as well.

Does anyone have any pictures of the affected areas which could be the origination of this squeak? I would very much appreciate them, as I am more of a visual guy, and sounds drive me NUTS since I tend to zero in on them once I start hearing them. Thanks guys. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top