1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

fixing the back seat strap

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by taco Josh, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Feb 28, 2011 at 9:20 AM
    taco Josh

taco Josh [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    josh
    se Okc,ok
    Vehicle:
    06 tecoma quad cab 4x4 silver V6
    ok first of all I have a 06' Toyota Tacoma double cab 4X4 V6 auto

any one know the back seat storage release strap .... ok well mine broke and I can no longer use my storage behind my back passenger seat how would I go abbot fixing it the dealer ship told me that they could try and fix it and if the could it would be like 50.00 but if they had to tear up the seat it would cost me 500.00 to get a new seat

[​IMG]

here us a pic of what I'm talking about any thoughts or suggestions on how to go about fixing this or am I going to have to replace the back seat thanks

Josh

2. Feb 28, 2011 at 12:28 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    It's happened many times to many people. Take something like a hooked brake pick and grab the release lever. Once the seat back is unlatched, remove the rear panel and reinstall the pull lever. In most cases, the release strap just comes unscrewed, but if yours actually broke then you'll need to replace it with either a new strap or something homemade.

Here's a link to a thread that has all the diagrams so you know what you're trying to hook.

3. Feb 28, 2011 at 12:32 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Did the strap fall back in there or break off?

If you remove the rear upper seat. Fold it down and you will see two "access panels" on either side, remove those with a small flathead screwdriver, this will reveal the bolts that hold the seat to the hinges (two 12mm bolts I believe) and remove the plastic backing panel, (there should be a few phillips head screws to remove then just slide it downwards toward the bottom of the seat) you will see the metal rod it attaches to and you should be able to fix it from there.

4. Feb 28, 2011 at 1:25 PM
    joerussell610

joerussell610 When all else fails read the directions

Member:
    First Name:
    Him
    Making myself at home in your house
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC Sport Edition 4x4
    K&N, fog light mod, remote rear halogen fogs mounted under rear bumper, TRD skid plate, Flux Capacitor, Mr. Fusion upgrade soon
    UGGHHH!!! What a pain in the butt to fix! Mine did that and had to access from slider window to take most of it apart. Thank God for Gearwrenches!
    Finally got off and replaced strap with a zip tie then i thought might as well do the other side before it breaks too.

5. Feb 28, 2011 at 3:49 PM
    taco Josh

taco Josh [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    josh
    se Okc,ok
    Vehicle:
    no it happen sometime back been this way for a year or so and just now wanting to fix it and i think ended up throwing the old strap away or it might be in my truck some where dont remember what i did with it

6. Mar 1, 2011 at 1:08 PM
    taco Josh

taco Josh [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    josh
    se Okc,ok
    Vehicle:
    the fastest way I figured out to get the back right seat unlocked is with a pair of hemostats just stick them down in there grab and pull up

Josh

7. Dec 5, 2012 at 12:49 PM
    TheDudeMinds

TheDudeMinds Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeffrey
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Black 96 RegCab4x4
    When I bought my 2004 double cab Taco this past summer, I noticed that the left rear release strap was not well attached to the lock mechanism, as in the triangular metal link was spread. The anchor bracket was also bent upward. I bent the bracket back in place and then about 3 months later, the strap came completely off, leaving the seat stuck.

I have terrible patience for blind work, especially in tight spaces, so I just unbolted the seat back from the hinge. This allowed just enough slack for me to get my left hand down onto the latch from above and my right hand in from below. With one index finger from each hand, I was able to work the latch off of the bracket. This fix should work even better on the right since it is a longer seat back, and the latch is more central/further away from the outside hinge.

Summary of this story: Unbolt outer hinge; gain access with hands; free the stuck seat back.

8. May 10, 2015 at 9:47 AM
    DRMetz

DRMetz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    DMV
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 TRD Sport Rad Red
    My God, the rear passenger is not the triangle but rather a has a small hole in it. After attempting to snag it with all sorts of hooks, I used needle nose pliers to pull the release up. The biggest PITA!!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top