1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fixing to order 5100's and OMEs what else?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Carito, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Jun 20, 2011 at 10:01 PM
    Carito

Carito [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Prerunner TRD Extra Cab
    Box, Side Rails, Deck Mod
    03 Prerunner V6 TRD. No extras added except stepup bars.

Ok, from everything I have read here I think I'm goona order the 5100's and the 881 OEM springs, leaving the 5100s stock height and a 2" AAL for the rear.

What else do I need? Do I need longer brake lines? New or different exhaust bracket? What about the shock replacement bushings? Also isnt there a kit you can get like with struts to change out the upper bearing assembly? Currently when I run over bumps it feels like something is loose, like the upper part of th assembly that bolts in in the engine bay has play in it and moves up and down a little. Maybe just me.

Also see on the toytec site that 881 gives about 2" of lift. Any thought on adding the 10mm enhancer plate to that for another .5 or so???

I just wanna order everything at once and not have any surprises when I go to install.

Thanks

2. Jun 21, 2011 at 3:34 PM
    Carito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    no one?

3. Jun 21, 2011 at 4:36 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    I reckon' that's one option, Pilgrim...

4. Jun 21, 2011 at 4:45 PM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Get the 885 springs for an almost exact 3" lift (especially if you're doing a 2" AAL). Also get a 1/4" top plate spacer for the driver's side to compensate for "taco lean" because OME springs are the exact same length/strength unlike stock springs which are stronger on the driver's side. I got the shock bushing kit just to be safe because mine was an 06 as well. Shouldn't need anything else, except for new UCAs so you can get your caster back into alignment. Might as well throw 5100s on the rear too.

5. Jun 21, 2011 at 4:45 PM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    And leave your 5100s set at the bottom "0" setting.

6. Jun 21, 2011 at 6:54 PM
    Carito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, seabass. My truck is an 03 though. I must be confused. I thought when I looked there was an 881, 882, 883. Don't remember an 885. Won't that be too stiff since my truck has no winch etc?

I was also trying to avoid UCAs and thought if I stayed around 2.5" I wouldn't need them. Someone chime in on that please. kind don't have the money for them. Was looking at bilsteins all the way around.

7. Jun 21, 2011 at 7:37 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    You are not confused. 885s are for 2nd Gens. You should not need UCAs if you keep your lift under 3".

Many of us are quite happy with our OME 881 and Bilstein 5100 combo. The 2" AAL should serve you well, assuming your leafs aren't too far gone. Those of us with flat/frowning leafs opted for total replacement, since AALs would do nothing more than delay the inevitable.

Longer brake lines shouldn't be required. If your exhaust is stock, I believe you will need adjust it (either with a different bracket or by dumping it short). You'll also probably want to adjust your brake proportioning valve to compensate for the rear lift. I did not need any additional bushings when I upgraded to the 5100s. I'm not familiar with the strut/bearing kit to which you refer. I did not go with any additional spacers/plates for extra lift, and am VERY happy with my results.

Some potential complications to consider: The higher you go, the more likely you are to have CV and/or alignment problems requiring extra parts & expense to solve. Some of us have had to replace steering rack bushings to get good alignments, even without exceeding 2.5" of lift.

If you haven't already done so, I recommend you browse around, and use the search function, in the 1st Gen and here in the Suspension forums - LOTS of good info...

8. Jun 21, 2011 at 11:29 PM
    Carito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks SRD for the info. Glad to know I dont have to fork out more money that I thought. Been looking at the proportioning valve also. I never knew about needing to adjust that. Got to read up some more though. Really have no idea how, only the why it needs to be done.

I do absolutely no offroading, so I think this will be a good start just just make it look better and since it's wearing out at getting close to 100k.

Products Discussed in

To Top