1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FJ TRD Wheels and TPMS

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by hd99fxr2, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Aug 8, 2009 at 9:39 AM
    hd99fxr2

hd99fxr2 [OP] New Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    Hey all...new to forum...thx for great advice on all topics.

Looking for some help on FJ TRD wheels and TPMS. I've checked Taco and FJ forums as best I could, dealers, etc. I've found bits and pieces and mixed information. So this is my final stop...

Here's the deal: I bought FJ/TRD Anthracite wheels (#PT904-35071) for my 07 Taco.

I want to maintain factory TPMS. What I'm quite sure, is that the steel sensors from my 16" wheels, won't work with the TRD wheels. The steel wheel sensors are 40 degree, the TRD Wheels require 20 degree, like on the factory Taco alloy TRDs.

So a couple dealers said the part number of # 42607-33011 is for the TRD TPMS sensor. However, other references have said that 42607-06011 is compatible, as they are both 20 degree sensors...

So, if anyone has experience with the TPMS sensors and alloys, I'd greatly appreciate it.

2. Aug 8, 2009 at 9:56 AM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    Hey there! Welcome. My personal plan is to either leave out the TPMS sensors, or unsoldier the LED in the gauge cluster. I am pretty anal about tire pressure so I check it regularly so I just want them gone haha.

However, since the wheels ARE toyota parts, can't the dealers just order the ones that come in them originally?

3. Aug 12, 2009 at 8:58 AM
    hd99fxr2

hd99fxr2 [OP] New Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    dgerm,

The dealer does have a part number, 42607-33011, which is an FJ part number for a 20 degree sensor. Sparks sells it the cheapest I've come across at $75/each...adding too much cost to this budget.

However, Toyota makes other 20 degree sensors, like part 42607-06011, which is more widely available, and cheaper. I couldn't get a straight answer as to whether this part number was compatible for the FJ TRD wheel. :confused:

I had contacted a few other Taco owners with the FJ TRD wheels who have TPMS enabled.

"BlueTaco" diligently researched and found that part number, 42607-06011, was stock on his Taco TRD Alloys and fit/worked on the FJ TRD Anthracite Alloys, when he upgraded.

I can get all four sensor of #42607-06011 on ebay for $100. :D

Huge thanks to the Forum/BlueTaco for getting me rolling...now I can focus on which tires to get...

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Nov 10, 2009 at 6:44 PM
    vinnyd

vinnyd New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    hd99fxr2, did you end up installing the 42607-06011 TPMS on your Tacoma ?
    Did they work ?
    I found this thread by Googling the part number as I am going through the same angst with my 08 Highlander.
    Stock sensors are 42607-33011 but too expensive to add to my winter set.

Vince

5. Nov 11, 2009 at 4:57 AM
    hd99fxr2

hd99fxr2 [OP] New Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Vince,

S
    ensor #42607-06011[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] worked like a charm on the FJ Anthracite rim that I used on my Taco. There was NO compatibility issue with the Tacoma ECU. They were installed on August 26. I haven't had a problem yet. I even tested them by letting air out of one of the tires and it correctly registered on the dash; then went away when I re-filled to correct pressure.

I found a local tire dealer who installed them at no extra cost. Toyota dealer wanted an extra ~$90 or so to "program" the new sensors - bull. Don't get snowed by the dealer.

Hope this helps and good luck!

The forum/members are to thank for helping me solve my TPMS nightmare.

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

6. Nov 11, 2009 at 5:50 AM
    TBAGRR

TBAGRR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Md
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 sport
    Trd intake Doug Thorley long tubes URD short shifter Eibach front springs Tsb rear leafs
    I have the stock FJ wheels on my truck, I just swapped my TPMS sensors in the FJ wheels and havent had any problems!!!!! I even have the spare FJ rim, you have to remember if u do this i believe 07-09's have tpms in the spare tires to....... i wouldnt get rid of the tpms like Dgerm wants to do, its a nice feature to have even if you check pressures regularly.. if you run over a nail and lose just a little air its better to have the light come on while driving down the road rather than not no and have a blow out or run it low and ruin the tire!!!!

7. Nov 11, 2009 at 9:23 PM
    MotoXXX

MotoXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    02 Pre-Runner
    Just do what I did on my wifes Scion XB, I put after market wheels on it and the sensors would not work. I took a piece of ABS and glued a cap on one end and a threaded cap on the other end, I taped the one end cap with a bicycle fill valve, threw all the sensors in the tube and presurized it to 40psi and threw it in the trunk. No problems, No light!

Products Discussed in

To Top