1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Flagpole Knob/Slate Springs Mtn, VA (Solo)

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by cameron172, May 20, 2022.

1. May 20, 2022 at 6:39 PM
    cameron172

cameron172 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White TRD Sport MT
    Skip to the bottom for a TLDR summary.

Day 1:
    I got there in the afternoon and stopped at Skidmore Fork/Switzer Lake and tried to fish. Then I headed up to Flagpole Knob. From the lake side, the trail is easily doable and more fun in a stock-ish rig. I have no lift or upgrades to suspension. Only went from the stock 30" to 32" tire.

There was only one somewhat challenging obstacle, the rest was just dodging rocks, potholes and puddles and water crossings. Nothing too varsity.

I must say I wasn't surprised but was disappointed at the amount of trash left around. Even at the top was smashed beer bottles and garbage that others didn't want to pick up.

Anyway, I went back down towards the lake and found a spot to camp for the night after trying an evening fishing session, still nothing. Here was the first night campsite.
    Day 2: I noticed a check engine light and TRAC OFF. I didn't have an OBD reader, but there weren't any Messages on my dash and the trucked sounded and felt perfect. All the 4HI and 4LO modes worked, so I continued on.

I wanted to check out a waterfall that wasn't on my ONX app or on the NatGeo maps. The Hone Quarry Falls trail technically starts at the reservoir parking but the gate beyond that is open from April to Jan so I made it up to just before the trailhead. A large tree had fallen across the road, but it was 50 yards from where the Slate Spring Trail starts from the road so I just parked and hiked the 0.8 miles the rest of the way. About 0.4 miles on Slate Springs Trail there's a sign to take a right and just a little further I found the falls. I packed a book and my ENO hammock and spent the morning by the falls.

I decided to try to make it up to Flagpole Knob from the Union Springs side. Most of the trail was easily drivable for a stock-ish truck. It was much like the lake side up until you take a left. Then it gets very technical and narrow. I made it down one set of rock steps then approached the large rock climb you see in all the YouTube videos. (Not my image)

I chickened out. This seemed to be the crux of the trail. I tried two different lines twice and heard my stock "skid plate" being punished. I probably would have kept trying had:
    (1) I had a spotter
    (2) Not been the only person I saw on the trail that day
    (2) Had beefier armor underneath
    (3) Had more ground clearance and more confidence in my articulation

So I backed away, found a place to turn around and headed back down for the descent of shame. I just had that earlier rock steps to climb then I'd be good. I made it mostly up but started spinning my front wheels. I wanted to get out and reevaluate the line and if there was any place I could place some rocks.

I had this weird feeling about how much I had already pulled the hand brake, shutoff the truck and put it in gear to step out and self-spot myself. Like the starter was going to burnout or something (now I realize it was stupid) so this time I left the truck on and just pulled the handbrake.

As I stepped out, the brake slipped and rolled down the rocks about 15-20 feet before slamming the tailgate into a tree. A rock caught the bottom of my door and bent it backwards. I had gotten in as the door bent back but by the time I got my foot to the brake, it had already slammed into the tree. I found my bumper cap on the ground, pieces of the taillight embedded into the tree and as soon as I pulled forward my tailgate slammed open. It had bent the corner of the bed frame so the tailgate hinge and latch wouldn't engage. Cool.

I found a good line up the rock climb and successfully got over that. Then it was all downhill from there. I felt sick to my stomach. I ended up driving to the nearest gas station to get cell service and further inspect the damage. I considered just driving home but I decided to get over it and enjoy my last night.

I went a little ways back up Union Springs to a campsite just past a creek crossing. I pried my tailgate open to get to my gear and had a relaxing night.

Day 3: I cooked breakfast, cleaned up and got on the road back home. I called my insurance and the damage is covered by collision coverage. I also searched my CEL/TRAC OFF issue and realized that I just needed a scanner to figure it out. I had to strap my tailgate to stay on and I was constantly checking my Anytime Backup camera to make sure it was still there. When I got home I got my code scanner and found a P0057, so I took a quick look under at the sensors and sure enough...
    My O2 sensor came unplugged somehow on that first day and I've been dragging this connector through the dirt and mud.

Summary: I learned a lot, broke a lot and have some new ideas for my next trip. Flagpole knob is stock-friendly from the lake side. From the Union Springs side, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND a lift, armor and a friendly spotter. And if you do have to get out to self-spot on an incline (particularly in a manual)...turn the truck off and throw it into gear AND crank the parking brake.

But overall it was a great time to get away from life for a moment and do something I enjoy in a beautiful area. Reading a book in a hammock next to a secluded waterfall will always be the highlight of this trip and something I look forward to next time around, probably in the fall.

Two things I wish I had:
    1) A code reader (I left mine at home and could have saved some worry if I had it with me). I wasn't sure about trying the trail with an undefined CEL, but I didn't have any messages and everything felt fine so I decided to continue on.
    2) Body armor (at least a more robust skid plate).

Two things I'm glad I had:
    1) Front and rear anytime camera (front for self-spotting, rear to make sure my tailgate was still there on the drive home)
    2) ENO hammock system (bug net, rain fly, atlas extenders). I've never slept better while camping than when I sleep in my hammock.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
    t1m829, RickyBobbby, turbodb and 3 others like this.
  2. May 21, 2022 at 8:32 PM
    turbodb

turbodb AdventureTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Xcab 4x4 SR5 V6 TRD
    AdventureTaco
    Dang man, on the one hand - sorry for the bummer of a trip. On the other, good on you for posting it and keeping going. :cheers: I've had plenty of trips where something goes wrong, and it's never what we want to see happen when we're just out to enjoy ourselves. In the end though, lessons are always learned, and we're more prepared the next time.

Here was my most recent "bummer" on a trip. Cut the trip short by a couple days as we had to limp home:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cameron172[OP] likes this.
  3. May 30, 2022 at 8:02 AM
    cameron172

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Update: got the estimate from the collision center…$7,300 to repair the back and driver door. Luckily it’s covered by insurance but still quite an expensive mistake to make!

4. Sep 15, 2022 at 4:35 AM
    cameron172

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    PART 2!!!!

I just returned from a two-day trip back out to the GWNF. I try to take the truck out on a solo trip twice a year to find restoration and some time away from life. My first one was to the Piney River area and my second one ended in tragedy in the above posts. This trip wasn't nearly as extensive, just a quick getaway to "God's country".

Day #1
    I drove straight to the High Knob Fire Tower trailhead and made the 45 minute hike. I brought my camp stove with me and made lunch at the top. It was the first cool breeze I have felt since summer started and I was in my happy place.

After I hiked back down, I went to my favorite fishing spot at Switzer Lake and tried in vain to catch dinner. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I've made four trips to this lake and spent hours fishing with every freshwater thing, and can't seem to catch anything. Not sure how people ever get to the limit of 6 trout per day...I don't think there's any fish anywhere in that lake! Anyway...

As sunset neared, I aired down to 20psi and made my way up Flagpole Knob a ways to find my campsite. I set up my hammock system in record time, made a fire and cooked dinner. That first night is always such a surreal experience! Once there is nothing to do and I'm just sitting next to the fire while the sunsets, that's the whole reason I do this. No phone service, no artificial light, no family demands, just me in the forest. It's primal.

Day #2
    Anyway, I slept terribly (not blaming the hammock setup, I usually sleep great in that). I packed up after breakfast and started up Flagpole Knob. Nothing too crazy along there. A couple of the water crossings were super low or completely dried up.
    I brewed a cup of coffee and sat on my truck and enjoyed the view.

I left and continued west on CR85 over to Reddish Knob. Very easy gravel and some paved sections road. Interesting place with the graffiti and random asphalt pad up there. I spotted NSA Sugar Grove Station and after a Google went down a rabbit hole on my phone.

But then at this point, I was ready to go home. I aired up my tires and drive back to Briery Branch and went down into Bridgewater for a coffee and drove home.

This was a pretty quick and easy trip. After smashing up my bed and tailgate on the last trip, I just wanted to take it easy and not bash my truck up too much.

Overall, I pretty easy trip to a place I know and love just to get away. I think my spring trip will be more of an adventure so I'm looking for places within 3-4 hours of Eastern VA to explore.

t1m829 likes this.
  5. Jan 4, 2023 at 7:02 PM
    LngBw

LngBw Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB SR5
    I'm from around the Piney River area, and I miss camping and exploring the streams up there as a kid. There should be plenty of trout in the streams; try some small trout magnet hellgrammites with the float, let it drift through the current, and you should find them.

Products Discussed in

To Top