1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Flatlink shackles

Discussion in 'Recovery' started by Marbleyard, May 26, 2017.

1. May 26, 2017 at 12:12 PM
    Marbleyard

Marbleyard [OP] Thread killer

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner Pro
    SOLD 2016 taco: premium technology and tow package. OV Tune 1.05; A.R.E. V Camper Shell; BRO grille & Tails; OEM bed mat; Xenon Depot HID headlight conversion; reflective gray tailgate letter inserts; GoPro session; Hondo radio knobs; K&N cold air intake, quicksand painted dash bezels, Subaru dash speakers, Kicker CS 6x9 fronts and 6.5 rear speakers; All LED interior lights and LED high-beam headlights. Redline elite hood shock props. prinsu cab and camper rack with rough country 30" light bar; (2) 8" rear facing “F.U.”rough country black LED lights; prinsu cargo basket kit, (2) prinsu load racks; roadshower 4; ARB 2500 awning and room kit; weather tech floor mats; carhart seat covers; ckma12 ARB air compressor under the hood; blue ridge overland gear air tools bag, tool bag, driver's seat molle. Rack mounted TRED 800 recovery treds and plano case. Rotopax water and fuelpax fuel canisters; Pelican cased first aid kit in bed. rockblokz mud flaps. ARB rear dif. breather. Stand alone fuse block. SSO bumper with 10k smittybilt synthetic line winch and factor55 ultrahook. Pro Eagle 2-Ton “The Beast” jack. OME lift kit: 90000 front shocks and 886 OME coils, Camburg 310078 UCA, 60091 rear shocks with light duty Dakar leafs. Good Year duratracs 285/75R16. Black vinyl inlays on factory OR wheels; RCI Steel Front/Trans/Trans Case/Rear Diff Skids, Alum A-Arm; Mobtown bolt-on sliders with scorpion bed coating; pelfreybilt aluminum fuel tank skid; Cali-Raised full length Molle storage LH & RH bed sides; Caliraised bedside reinforcements; HELLA sharptone horns; Optima blue-top battery with AJT machined red tiedown bracket. AJT quicksand key fob. Overland Bound member #6996
    i have everything I need to start my bumper/winch assembly but would like to consider a flatlink shackle mount over the supplied hook on the winch line. Factor55 loooks to make the best, and only from what I can find. If anyone has their opinion on them and/or pictures of them in use I would love to see it.

ChadsPride likes this.
  2. May 28, 2017 at 5:25 AM
    Marbleyard

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner Pro
    SOLD 2016 taco: premium technology and tow package. OV Tune 1.05; A.R.E. V Camper Shell; BRO grille & Tails; OEM bed mat; Xenon Depot HID headlight conversion; reflective gray tailgate letter inserts; GoPro session; Hondo radio knobs; K&N cold air intake, quicksand painted dash bezels, Subaru dash speakers, Kicker CS 6x9 fronts and 6.5 rear speakers; All LED interior lights and LED high-beam headlights. Redline elite hood shock props. prinsu cab and camper rack with rough country 30" light bar; (2) 8" rear facing “F.U.”rough country black LED lights; prinsu cargo basket kit, (2) prinsu load racks; roadshower 4; ARB 2500 awning and room kit; weather tech floor mats; carhart seat covers; ckma12 ARB air compressor under the hood; blue ridge overland gear air tools bag, tool bag, driver's seat molle. Rack mounted TRED 800 recovery treds and plano case. Rotopax water and fuelpax fuel canisters; Pelican cased first aid kit in bed. rockblokz mud flaps. ARB rear dif. breather. Stand alone fuse block. SSO bumper with 10k smittybilt synthetic line winch and factor55 ultrahook. Pro Eagle 2-Ton “The Beast” jack. OME lift kit: 90000 front shocks and 886 OME coils, Camburg 310078 UCA, 60091 rear shocks with light duty Dakar leafs. Good Year duratracs 285/75R16. Black vinyl inlays on factory OR wheels; RCI Steel Front/Trans/Trans Case/Rear Diff Skids, Alum A-Arm; Mobtown bolt-on sliders with scorpion bed coating; pelfreybilt aluminum fuel tank skid; Cali-Raised full length Molle storage LH & RH bed sides; Caliraised bedside reinforcements; HELLA sharptone horns; Optima blue-top battery with AJT machined red tiedown bracket. AJT quicksand key fob. Overland Bound member #6996
    :tumbleweed:
    I went ahead and got the UltraHook silver, thing was almost half what the winch cost but it's the best of the best.

3. May 31, 2017 at 11:23 AM
    nvnv

nvnv Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD OFF ROAD
    I have a flat link pro. Haven't really used it but it looks pretty on the front and is way better than a hook clanking around.

Marbleyard[OP] likes this.
  4. Jun 2, 2017 at 4:20 PM
    Marbleyard

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner Pro
    This is one nice mofo. Kindda wanting red now but I'm going to roll with it. Super light and high quality!
    IMG_2972.jpg

DustStorm4x4 and EDDO like this.
  5. Jul 2, 2017 at 1:34 PM
    BlindingWhiteTac.

BlindingWhiteTac. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 LQ4 4L80E
    Just the essentials and no extra fluff.
    If you plan on using synthetic line I would look at their "splicer" model. It's less complex, led expensive, and will fit the bow or pin through it. I can't think of a time when I absolutely had to have a hook instead of a shackle that would justify the cost of the ultra hook. The lay flat function is nice though.

6. Jul 2, 2017 at 1:59 PM
    Marbleyard

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner Pro
    Make sense to me with the spliced, definitely when it comes to cost. The flatlink style was my only choice with a front licence plate required in Virginia. When I made my decision I had more money than sence and did the ultrahook, now in hindsight, I will probably never need the ultrahook specifically. BUT if I ever do I got it and it looks sweet.
    IMG_3056.jpg

7. Jul 7, 2017 at 1:04 PM
    fjcphil

fjcphil Member

Member:
    First Name:
    phil
    West Central florida
    Vehicle:
    FJ Cruiser
    Warrior Products front bumper. TRD CAI. Toytech Ultimate 3" lift.
    I just got a Smittybilt X20 with synthetic. It has that big hook on it. OP how did you get the hook off? I bought the Flatlink and want to use that instead. I guess the options are to cut the hook off. Or cut the line and splice it back onto the thimble.

8. Jul 7, 2017 at 1:16 PM
    Marbleyard

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner Pro
    I used my dremel saw, it took some time to get it all the way through the ring twice. I still got it done with one blade though. I wrapped my line in duct tape to protect it from sparks and help with the heat, it got HOT!! I just c-clamped it to a saw horse and cut away!

fjcphil likes this.
  9. Jul 7, 2017 at 1:32 PM
    lawless

lawless the rent is too damn high

Member:
    First Name:
    Lawson
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 dcsb mgm sc
    i have the X20 as well... used a grinder with a cutoff wheel to get the hook off. wrapped the line with a wet kitchen towel. lots of sparks around that synthetic line made me nervous.

picked up a black Factor 55 ProLink from a member on here and now it's all sitting in my living room waiting to go in.

fjcphil likes this.
  10. Jul 8, 2017 at 6:41 AM
    fjcphil

fjcphil Member

Member:
    First Name:
    phil
    West Central florida
    Vehicle:
    FJ Cruiser
    Warrior Products front bumper. TRD CAI. Toytech Ultimate 3" lift.
    Thank you for the replies. I wasn't sure if it was worth undoing the rope and re-splicing to keep the hook. Don't know why I would keep it. Probably not even worth the hassle trying to sell it.

Products Discussed in

To Top