1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Flip volume and track fwd/reverse toggle on steering wheel

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by 80sforlife, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Jul 19, 2018 at 4:02 PM
    specter208

specter208 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD SPORT ACLB w/ 6MT TRUCK WHITE
    TOYOTA OEM: Cast Aluminum Running Boards Mud Guards Bed Mat All-Weather Floor Liner NIssan Frontier Sliding Bed Extender
    This was never an issue for me.

2. Jul 19, 2018 at 4:48 PM
    Techsan

Techsan Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 BBPDC
    The ‘18 Camry I just drove is set up nothing like the Tacoma. L/R volume on the left side...L/R track select on the right side.

Don’t think a ‘standard’ exists with Toyota.

3. Jul 20, 2018 at 7:44 AM
    Buckmaster63

Buckmaster63 First-Time Taco Owner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB 4X4 - Quicksand
    SS PRO V2, EXTANG Solid Fold 2.0 Tonneau Cover
    I have my taco in for 5K service now. They gave me an '18 Camry and I see what you mean....these controls are even worse than the Tacoma's!

4. Jul 20, 2018 at 7:59 AM
    Comb

Comb Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB 6MT BBP ABCDEFG
    OVTune Verified Purchase
    Fast forward and rewind were also clearly left/right processes, as the tape physically moved left to right in the cassette (though in a car cassette deck, I guess it technically moved front to back since the tape was loaded sideways).

5. Jul 20, 2018 at 8:32 AM
    Citizen Rob

Citizen Rob Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB 4x4
    Sounds like the difference between Cat controls and John Deere. Put enough hours behind the wheel and your brain will sort it out. Only headache I would see is if you frequently operate two different vehicles and the controls are flipped on the other unit.

6. Jul 26, 2018 at 1:56 AM
    bagleboy

bagleboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    Snug top Rebel, Thule tracks, ditch tracks, Bagged rear suspension, F/R anytime camera, intermittent wiper switch...
    The fact that I check this thread should tell me I'm ocd enough that were mine like that I'd end up doing something possibly stupid/expensive like tracing a pcb to locate the connections and attempting to switch them to my preferred orientation. I could give a rats ass what anyone else thinks is appropriate, I'd want it right for me. "Get used to it?" Hale no!
    Fortunately I have a '14 so it's not an issue and my compulsions don't extend further than my own truck. But if it were... There'd be a thread.

7. Jul 26, 2018 at 2:03 AM
    CountofQ

CountofQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Duluth, MN
    Vehicle:
    2017 'Old Man Tan' AC OR
    It's the up/down controls for changing tracks/stations that screws with me the most.

To move from station pre set one, to preset two, we have to push down..... however to go from track one, to track two (using Bluetooth on the phone) I have to press up. WTF?

j_gets likes this.
  8. Jul 26, 2018 at 2:24 AM
    bagleboy

bagleboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    Snug top Rebel, Thule tracks, ditch tracks, Bagged rear suspension, F/R anytime camera, intermittent wiper switch...
    Yeah wierd, Some languages read left to right, some right to left, but they don't mix them. Oh, wait, they do, when they put adjectives after the modified noun instead of before. That idiot stupid parked his truck ugly in a zone red.

9. Jul 26, 2018 at 3:49 AM
    Rocinante75

Rocinante75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    RokBlokz Mud Flaps, TufSkinz tailgate lettering, OV Tuned (1.05!!!)
    Ha, yeah, when I went from my 2nd gen to my 2018, I kept calling people thinking I was raising the volume.

10. Jul 26, 2018 at 4:24 AM
    2016Tacoman

2016Tacoman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma 4x4 V6 Metallic
    With my Maestro RR interface I can program the wheel controls any way I want. Of course you need to upgrade the head unit.

11. Jul 26, 2018 at 6:56 AM
    okichewy1

okichewy1 Just chuggin' along!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Kimberly, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB TRD Sport Quicksand
    Ultra Flex bed cover, TRD PRO Grille, 32" LED light under grille, Pop n' Lock on tailgate, OCD organizer for center console and glove box, LED bed lights, OEM bed mat, black TACOMA tailgate letters, LED illumination light package, black vinyl overlays for badges, OEM bed step, plasti-dipped front valance and mirrors, 15% tinted windows and sun strip, vinyl letters on dash, vinyl letters on tailgate handle and door sill protectors, TRD Pro shift knob, home-link rear view mirror, mountain vinyl decal above Tacoma on door, FN FX pro wheels, AVS bug deflector, AVS in-channel window vents, front bed rail, red line hood struts, LED interior lights, TRD Pro skid plate, slim line front license plate holder, CaliRaised LED Ditch light brackets with LED lights, Bilstein 5100's, OME 888's, Dakar HD leaf springs, cubby covers, CaliRaised LED Fog light kit,
    Agree with the radio up/down buttons. The stations are listed from 1-?? in descending order. Go up to go to the lesser numbers and down to the higher numbers. Volume is setup just like the volume knob. Turn the knob to the left, volume decreases, turn the knob to the right, volume increases.

12. Jul 26, 2018 at 6:59 AM
    MESO

MESO Major Modder Vendor

Member:
    State of Jefferson
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD HELLCAT SWAP
    Does anyone have a spare steering wheel control laying around? I’m thinking about removing the PCB, rearranging the circuitry and making a new board with volume up and down

nftyper and payrow like this.
  13. Jul 26, 2018 at 6:59 AM
    okichewy1

okichewy1 Just chuggin' along!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Kimberly, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB TRD Sport Quicksand
    Ultra Flex bed cover, TRD PRO Grille, 32" LED light under grille, Pop n' Lock on tailgate, OCD organizer for center console and glove box, LED bed lights, OEM bed mat, black TACOMA tailgate letters, LED illumination light package, black vinyl overlays for badges, OEM bed step, plasti-dipped front valance and mirrors, 15% tinted windows and sun strip, vinyl letters on dash, vinyl letters on tailgate handle and door sill protectors, TRD Pro shift knob, home-link rear view mirror, mountain vinyl decal above Tacoma on door, FN FX pro wheels, AVS bug deflector, AVS in-channel window vents, front bed rail, red line hood struts, LED interior lights, TRD Pro skid plate, slim line front license plate holder, CaliRaised LED Ditch light brackets with LED lights, Bilstein 5100's, OME 888's, Dakar HD leaf springs, cubby covers, CaliRaised LED Fog light kit,
    When you list numbers 1-10 from top to bottom, would you push up or down to go from say 5 to 1? Same with volume, when you turn the radio volume knob, do you turn it left to decrease and right to increase?

14. Jul 26, 2018 at 7:10 AM
    necrodiety

necrodiety Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver TRD Sport
    OV Tune, Bakflip F1, Redline hood struts, faux pro headlights and tails, Meso: bucket, map and dome lights, fuse cover.
    Yesssss. @mesojdm is on board now. I was thinking about hitting a junk yard to scavenge some spares but haven't had the time. Surely someone can donate an old board.

payrow likes this.
  15. Jul 26, 2018 at 9:32 AM
    RocTaco

RocTaco Free stun!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Green Mtns
    Vehicle:
    03' Reg. Cab 4x4 5MT
    I guess spatially it makes perfect sense to me when you push the up button the highlighted part moves up the screen, even if it's decreasing the number.

Far as the knob goes, it's clockwise for louder and counterclockwise for softer. I don't think of it as left and right.

okichewy1[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Jul 26, 2018 at 2:04 PM
    payrow

payrow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Santos
    Vehicle:
    '18 DCSB Sport
    @mesojdm , I maaay be able to help...I bought a used one and started to look into what it would take to complete the change. I think the wiring part is a piece of cake - can do it a couple of ways but the easiest (IMO) is to rewire the buttons which would consist of cutting a few traces and then rewiring them to basically reorient the layout to a normal one - right = vol up, left = vol down etc. Way #2 - un-solder the 4 surface mount resistors (R1, 2, 3 and 4 which are all a different value) and re-solder them to the board.

The circuitry basically reads the data line associated with all four buttons on two traces. One trace being comman and the other having 4 resistors in line. Depending on the resistance read - for example 1k vs 2k vs 3k vs 4k (button pushed) that is the fucntion completed. I have not read the resistor values but I'm pretty sure this is the was it works.

Normally you can just read the value (like the 202 on R9 and R11 (current limiting resistors for LED1 and 2))but those suckers are small and unmarked.

Radio Controls 1.jpg

Radio Controls 2.jpg

I checked out the button part, it is not symmetrical and can not just be rotated in the housing. I don't care so much about the dimples but it would be nice to be able to somehow re-stencil the buttons so that left and right were < and > and vol up and down were + and - even if it didn't have a speaker symbol.

Radio Controls 3.jpg

BTW i have been trying to locate a schematic for the board....no joy.

17. Jul 26, 2018 at 2:17 PM
    MESO

MESO Major Modder Vendor

Member:
    State of Jefferson
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD HELLCAT SWAP
    Awesome! Instead of cutting traces/soldering.. I was thinking about recreating the entire PCB board with OEM connectors. Drop in plug and play with the buttons contacts all relocated.

18. Jul 26, 2018 at 2:29 PM
    Double Phister

Double Phister Punch it Chewie

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR
    I would just do #2. move the resistors.

19. Jul 26, 2018 at 2:38 PM
    payrow

payrow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Santos
    Vehicle:
    '18 DCSB Sport
    SWEEEEEEEEET! I'll DM you.

20. Jul 26, 2018 at 2:41 PM
    Dcross

Dcross Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White TRD Off Road Dbl cab
    2015 Venza is just about perfect. Thumb fits perfectly on Volume Up or Down buttoms, which are UP or DOWN. volume.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top