1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fly by frustration

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SurfBear, May 5, 2010.

1. May 5, 2010 at 4:33 PM
    SurfBear

SurfBear [OP] Member

Member:
    Crescent City, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 6spd TRD
    I pasted this from one of the other toyota sites that i never got a response to rather than type my whole rant again, so some info is not relevant - hopefully someone on this site has some advice/suggestions,
    thanks,
    Bear

"I was glad to find this forum. I'm on my 4th tacoma/pickup(pre-tacoma) now, even had an 09' 2wd 4cyl manual briefly last year (gas mi., forgive me), and never had this lag issue.

I know what the guy is talking about that ran a red light. because my idle stays so high when the clutch is engaged, downshifting actually does nothing to slow the truck down, in fact, it surges forward once I've almost come to a stop. when I put the cluth in and coast just to check out this penomenon, I can watch the tach drop to 1k rpm or less, then all of a sudden it revs itself back up to about 1.5+k rpm, again, all this without the clutch engaged. the over revving on the upshift while accelerating is also annoying and makes me feel like I'm wasting gas (i only 15mpg as it is!). the earlier suggestion to let off the gas a fraction sooner while upshifting (already tried it) helps this, but to truly get it down and from over revving on the upshift you have to seriously wait in between shifts, almost like someone learning to drive a stick, embarassing and inefficient. and, this does not address the downshift/coming to a stop problem. maybe its just my truck?

I'd like to know more about this battery disconnection/resetting thing. when I asked my dealer about throttle lag (over-revving) they referenced the fly by wire and that there was nothing they could do."

2. May 5, 2010 at 5:34 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    So what exactly are you asking?

3. May 5, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    EBruddah

EBruddah Well-Known Member

Member:
    626 - SGV / RakiRaki, Fiji
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off Road 4X4 - OME Built to Wheel!
    2005 Tacoma V6 SR5 - 4WD AC TRD Off Road - 6 Speed M/T Full OME Lift w/886 Coils & Dakars,, Optima Yellow Top, Cobra NightWatch 29 WX NW ST - CB Peaked/Tuned + talkback/confirmation tone - PA Horn, Lil Will CB Antenna, Downey Off Road Extreme Duty CV Boots, 255/85/R16 BFG Mud-Terrain T/A KM, All-Pro Sliders, Drop in K&N FilterCharger, Flowmaster 40 Series, 62” Hi-Lift Extreme Mounted in Bed w/all Hi-Lift Accessories. Custom Skid Plate by Defined Engineering, 10 lb. PowerTank with HPX Regulator
    Maybe this is a 4 cylinder issue... I've never felt what you're describing on my rig.

4. May 5, 2010 at 5:48 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I am assuming when you say,"clutch is engaged" that you mean disengaged as you are depressing the clutch pedal. From your description of what is going on and from other posts I have read this is normal operation and is actually programmed into the ECU this way. From what I can recollect this is not a fault of the Throttle by Wire but may actually have something to do with stricter emissions requirements. I am not positive on that, though.

Refer to this thread to help answer some of your questionshttp://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/85190-computer-controlled-throttle-manual-transmission.html

5. May 5, 2010 at 7:27 PM
    06stex

06stex Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Corpus Christi, Texas 361
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD 6" Fabtech..limo tint
    6 inch Fabtech, Dirt Logic 2.5 coilovers, Light Racing UCAs 17x9 XD spy, 305 65 17 Extreme ATs, Limo all around, Kicker speakers,Kicker L5 10 inch sub, 400 watt kicker mono amp In dash Pioneer with Ipod cable, Flowmaster 50, bedmat, toolbox, K N Filter, cheapo seat covers, 6000k HIDs upfront, bhlm,DDM 5000K fogs, tailgate mod, and many more to come.
    I understand what is being said and or asked, its annoying but it is a stick and fly by wire,nothing can be done, just get used to it and it will become second nature. Downshift accordingly and save the brakes and well its a truck and not made to get 25+ miles to the gallon.

6. May 5, 2010 at 11:10 PM
    SurfBear

SurfBear [OP] Member

Member:
    Crescent City, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 6spd TRD
    thanks for responding, since posting this i've found another thread where guys are lamenting and debating this same issue.

"engaged/disengaged", yes, sorry i reversed that in my description.

"downshifting", i guess i didn't articulate my situation accurately. there is no downshifting since the idle stays so high for so long it actually accelerates me into a stop.

did i mention that i've owned 3 other tacomas and never had one behave like this?

it seems that people have different experiences based on the replies and don't think that anyone with an auto need bother replying unless they experience acceleration when they are trying to slow down entering a stop signal.

again, thanks for replies and i guess i'm learning why the previous owner got rid of this rig after owning for less than a year, i assumed i was buying something in the tradition of my last few beloved tacomas.

7. May 5, 2010 at 11:22 PM
    SurfBear

SurfBear [OP] Member

Member:
    Crescent City, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 6spd TRD
    my question was, if anyone knew how to make this 08' 6spd manual fly by wire rig run like an unpossessed vehicle when it comes to upshifting, downshifting, and idling when coming to a stop. again, maybe this is just my truck since i've had other tacomas in the past, and other brands of trucks and cars and never experienced anything like this. my dealer, mid-city motor world in eureka, ca won't listen to me and i have nowhere else to go without backup info from folks like this on this list who've had similar experiences.
    respectfully,
    Bear

8. May 5, 2010 at 11:24 PM
    SurfBear

SurfBear [OP] Member

Member:
    Crescent City, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 6spd TRD
    wasn't asking for, nor concerned/expected 25+mpg, just mentioned it in reference to excessive rpms when they aren't needed in terms of wasting gas

9. May 5, 2010 at 11:26 PM
    SurfBear

SurfBear [OP] Member

Member:
    Crescent City, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 6spd TRD
    probably gave too much information, this isn't happening in the 4-cyl i used to own, its happening in my 08' 6cyl 4x4

10. May 5, 2010 at 11:45 PM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Hopefully I understood everything correctly and not way off... but as somebody else mentioned, you just need to get used to these manual trucks, they feel a lot different than most other manuals.

After reading another thread, I even stopped downshifting if I am coming to a complete stop, since I would rather replace brakes than a worn out tranny.

Products Discussed in

To Top