1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fog Light and Long Range Light Positioning

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by RedTacomaTy, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Dec 8, 2012 at 8:16 PM
    RedTacomaTy

RedTacomaTy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Complete: -2 10" Kicker CVR Subs -Hifonix Brutus BRZ1200.1D Amp -17x8 Tuff A/T T01 Wheels -265/65/17 Michelin LTX M/S2 Tires To-Do: #1 Satoshi Grill #2 Relocate the Horns #3 Hella 700FF behind the Grill #4 Shorten Mud Flaps #5 Avid Light Bar (w/ 2 Fog Lights OR 2 Driving Lights) #6 Weather Tech Floor Mats #7 Upgrade Door Woofers #8 Scooped Hood
    I want to get both fog lights and long range lights. I don't know which lights I plan to go with yet but I want 2 of each type.

I am planning on getting the avid light bar and read that fog lights are best closer to the bumper of the truck, so I would place these between the top and bottom bars of the avid bar.

I am also doing the Satoshi mod to my grill and I read that it is best to put long range lights closer to the top of the car, however I don't want any lights on top of my truck so the closest I will get to that is behind the grill. Will this lead to air flow problems with the lights in the way? Also will putting the lights behind the mesh grill hinder the lights power at all? I can always place them on the light bar if behind the grill leads to any unnecessary problems.

Is all that correct? Because for some reason my intuition is telling me that a wide beam light like a fog light would work better higher up on the truck and a thin beam light would work better closer to the bottom of the truck, but that is just a guess I have no experience with lights like these.

2. Dec 8, 2012 at 8:36 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    A lot of people mount their lights behind the grille without problems. Soem people attempting to maximize fuel efficiency even block off the entire grille, but I would not recommend this for a daily driver.
    On the lights, as long as you aren't towing heavy loads through the desert in August, you're fine.
    Quite the opposite.
    The purpose of fogs is to illuminate a wide area, but to cut under the fog.
    If the lights are mounted too high, they reflect off of the fog (or dust) and will blind the driver through backscatter.

Driving or "pencil" beams are narrow and project further. Their beam is a tight cone that widens moving away from the vehicle.
    They are generally mounted higher so they can be aimed slightly down to reduce the wasted light that is illuminating the sky, while still getting a good long range.

3. Dec 10, 2012 at 2:57 PM
    RedTacomaTy

RedTacomaTy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Complete: -2 10" Kicker CVR Subs -Hifonix Brutus BRZ1200.1D Amp -17x8 Tuff A/T T01 Wheels -265/65/17 Michelin LTX M/S2 Tires To-Do: #1 Satoshi Grill #2 Relocate the Horns #3 Hella 700FF behind the Grill #4 Shorten Mud Flaps #5 Avid Light Bar (w/ 2 Fog Lights OR 2 Driving Lights) #6 Weather Tech Floor Mats #7 Upgrade Door Woofers #8 Scooped Hood
    Thanks!

Another question, I have the OEM Fog Lights that come with the SR5 package on the 2010. How do these compare to aftermarket fog lights? If I get a pair of aftermarkets will they be a lot better or are the OEM pretty good?

4. Dec 10, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Hard to say. I guess it depends on what aftermarkets you buy, but I've always been very happy with aftermarket fogs.

Products Discussed in

To Top