1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

foglight mod

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Johnson8537, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Nov 28, 2007 at 6:31 PM
    Johnson8537

Johnson8537 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD SPORT 4x4 Double Cab Long bed
    Revtek Leveling Kit with 1 1/2 block spacer in rear. 17" MotoMetal blacks on 32" tires. Access Lorado Tonneau - Bed mat Billet Grill Tinted Windows Pioneer 700BT with PAC steering wheel inerface. Wet Okole Seat Covers Front and back.
    Does anyone know how to do the foglight mod.

I have searched here and on Toyota Nation and i went through 11 or 12 pages of different methods.

Does anyone have the Best method.
    1. One that does not change anythign that cannot be changed back to factory.

2. I would also like to find one that does not allow the fogs to come on when the systems Purges every four hours or so.

thanks in advance... if there is a clean HOW TO we shoudl make a sticky at the top!!

2. Nov 28, 2007 at 6:45 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    there is a sticky at the top of the 2nd gen page that pertains to the aftermarket foglight mod

3. Nov 28, 2007 at 7:19 PM
    TheArkansas"X"

TheArkansas"X" Active Member

Member:
  4. Nov 28, 2007 at 7:37 PM
    MotoXFreeStyle61

MotoXFreeStyle61 Displaced Texan

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 4Cyl, Access Cab, 5
    Black Head Light Mod, Tacoma All Weather Mats, ScanGauge II, Tonnaeu Bed Cover, 40% Tint, Added Fog Lights, 600W x 1 Alpine MRP-M650 Amp, Alpine 10" Type-R SWR-1022D Sub, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Day Time Running Lights, K&N Drop In Air Filter (oiled), Westin Bullbar (Black Powder), Alpine IVA-W505 w/Nav, JL Audio 6.5" Front Speakers, Toyota SR5 Seat Covers, 2.5" Toytec Spacer
  5. Nov 28, 2007 at 7:41 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    ahhh....i guess i did not ask for a specification as to which foglight mod u were talking about

6. Nov 28, 2007 at 7:47 PM
    MotoXFreeStyle61

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    Black Head Light Mod, Tacoma All Weather Mats, ScanGauge II, Tonnaeu Bed Cover, 40% Tint, Added Fog Lights, 600W x 1 Alpine MRP-M650 Amp, Alpine 10" Type-R SWR-1022D Sub, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Day Time Running Lights, K&N Drop In Air Filter (oiled), Westin Bullbar (Black Powder), Alpine IVA-W505 w/Nav, JL Audio 6.5" Front Speakers, Toyota SR5 Seat Covers, 2.5" Toytec Spacer
    Yeah, i was assuming that he meant the mod so that you can turn them on and off whenever you choose to. I have mine relayed with my parking light so that they will still turn off automatically just in case I forget to turn them off. ;)

7. Nov 28, 2007 at 8:35 PM
    Johnson8537

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Revtek Leveling Kit with 1 1/2 block spacer in rear. 17" MotoMetal blacks on 32" tires. Access Lorado Tonneau - Bed mat Billet Grill Tinted Windows Pioneer 700BT with PAC steering wheel inerface. Wet Okole Seat Covers Front and back.
    Moto.. I already have factory fogs... I am wanting to change the way they currently function.

1. I would like to use them as DTRL.

2. I would like to use them with parking lights

3. lows

4. HIGHS

The only bummer about option # 3 on toyota nation that i see is that when your sytem purges the fogs would turn on for a few seconds...
    (i think this might set off my aftermarket alarm system?)
    Plus i would rather not have a "Ghost" in my truck turning the fogs on approx. 4.5 hours after shut off.

How did you hook yours up via the parking lights? Can you use them with your highs? Did you have to Splice into any wiring or is it just plug and play?

On my old Passat I was able to just remove the relay and bridge a few wires where the relay went tricking it into allowing the fogs to function with parking, lows and highs... nothing that was unremovable and it still allowed me to go back to the factory settings.

8. Nov 28, 2007 at 8:43 PM
    MotoXFreeStyle61

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    Hmmm... I can't say that I know how to get through the factory setup without messing up some other electrical system along the way. My tacoma didn't come with fog lights so I installed them in any way that I wanted.

To answer you question, I tapped into the parking light wire and ran that to a relay which went to the lights. I did a entire write about the install several months ago. From what it sounds like you want a stand along fog light system just controlled by the switch. Correct me if i'm wrong.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/te...rmarket-fog-lights-oem-sockets.html#post12926

9. Nov 28, 2007 at 9:14 PM
    Johnson8537

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Ok... i decided i would just go with the little fuse (add a fuse method.)

The only thing that i do not like is that when the system purges if the fog light switch is left on the lights will turn on. I doubt i will ever notice that but it sure seems strange...
    If anyone knows of another spot where the add a fuse can get a power source from that is keyed but would not come on during system purge please let me know...

10. Nov 29, 2007 at 9:30 AM
    kristopherl

kristopherl AKA: Jake the Wolf

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport LB. Foglight
    Cup holder LEDs, Black Max Tonau, BHL Mod, N-Fab side steps
    Hey Johnson, This is how I did it... could have taken more time to clean it up but it avoids bending the relay spade and won't involve connecting to the EFI fuse.

Have to switch out the female spade connector...ran out of plastic protected ones.... reason for the electrical tap on one of them. Didn't want to have any metal exposed. Ran a fuse on the trigger lead to the marker light.

image002.jpg
    Snaked trigger wire through fuse box to a pre-existing hole in the bottom left corner of fuse box and brought the wire through the bundle of wires on the bottom front left corner and ran it through the wire toobing to the front corner marker.

image004.jpg
    Clip the lead from the relay to the grean wire of the corner marker light
    image006.jpg
    Your done!

Looking down into the back corner of the front headlight where the marker light mounts

image008.jpg

11. Nov 29, 2007 at 5:48 PM
    Johnson8537

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Thanks... I thought about doing it that way as well... but i wanted to feature of running my fogs without my tails or parking lights...

thanks for the post... if my system purge starts to effect things than i will go with your method. I like that you bridged in at the light itself not in the fusebox on the 6 pin adaptor. (good thought!!)

thanks.

12. Nov 29, 2007 at 5:54 PM
    TuRDTACO

TuRDTACO Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    HAD 07 TRD OFFROAD PRERUNNER
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    i have factory fogs, i just ran the power wire from the parking light to the fog light relay so they go on and off with the parking lights, the only thing is that the fog light button is useless and they wont come on with my low beam headlights. i have aftermarket fog lights on the back of the truck also acting as extra reverse lights, those are just wired with the provided harness so i flip them on or off as needed, truck running or not

13. Nov 29, 2007 at 6:32 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    i wired independant switches for my extra reverse and cargo lights as well

14. Nov 29, 2007 at 7:30 PM
    newsma

newsma New Member

Member:
    Biscoe NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab SR5 4x4
    Window Tint-20% all the way around (on top of factory too), Vent Shades, Bug Guard, Fog Light Mod, DRL Mod, 4 Strobe Lights for Fire Dept and red light in windshield
    hey you guys rock!!!! I just did the fog light mod to my truck this morning. IT LOOKS GREAT!!! I did the add a fuse method. thanks alot guys

15. Nov 29, 2007 at 8:47 PM
    TuRDTACO

TuRDTACO Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    HAD 07 TRD OFFROAD PRERUNNER
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    if i helped at all, which i'm sure i didn't, you're welcome lol

16. Jul 16, 2008 at 7:38 PM
    cleanTRDmachine

cleanTRDmachine watch the meat

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Q-Town, PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    tint gray camo seat covers debadged color matched grille surround off of 06 TRD sport grillecraft black mesh grille Hella 500's demudflapped Toyota rear leaf TSB (first edition) 265/75/16 BFG AT TA KO's Flowmaster Super 40 #952445 Maglite Mod AntennaX 13in antenna Painted Lower Valance Vision X H4 Xenon headlights Halo Solaris H10 foglights Velocity Offroad 2.5 leveling kit (removed) Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers Rocky Mounts Clutch SD bike mount 4ft combo lock cable for bed extender Stage I interior LED's Toytec 1.5" AALs Extang Trifold Signature Series Bed Cover Reese front mounted tow hook Icon Stage 1 Suspension
    i didn't update my profile, but i picked up an 06 dblcab offroad and i'd like to run my fogs with the corner lights on
    and also keep them on with the headlights like it comes from the factory.
    any links?

17. Jul 16, 2008 at 7:52 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    thanks to piercedtiger:

Several ways to do this, but this one was the easiest for me, and I haven't had them come on 4-hours after turning the ignition off like other methods cause. Apparently at least one other method ties into some ignition or emissions circuit that turns on 4 hours after the truck is turned off to deal with emissions so the fogs come on for a few minutes. I parked in front of my living room window for a year after doing this and never saw them come on once so.....

Tools/items needed:
    • wire stripper
    • 1 quick splice
    • 1 female blade connector
    • 6" of wire
    • drill/bit same diameter as wire
    • shrink tube/electrical tape to reinforce crimp connection (optional)
    1. Locate the green wire on the plug in the pic
    2. splice into it
    3. run the wire to the fog light relay through a hole to keep it low and not hit the cover
    4. crimp on the female blade connector onto the wire
    5. pull the fog relay and bend the terminal in the pic to the side
    6. put the female blade connector onto the bent terminal on the fog relay
    7. replace fog relay
    DSCF1823_ad4350bb9e08edf3c33052644c0bacdaab464f99.jpg

18. Jul 16, 2008 at 8:03 PM
    Anthony

Anthony San Antonio Detailer :)

Member:
    Houston - Spring/Tomball area
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner access cab 2.7L M5