1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Folder Syncing

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Chickenmunga, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Dec 9, 2010 at 10:06 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga [OP] Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    I have a computer at work and at home, both PCs, and I run iTunes exclusively for my music (the less programs to mess with, the better)
    I have my iPhone and my iPod (iPod stays in the truck).

At work when things are slow I'll trim down my music, deleting out old songs.
    I'll buy music from either of the two computers.

My goal is that I essentially want to keep the computer at work and the home computer in sync with the music collection, without storing the music online or adding much in terms of hardware. I don't have much problem with adding new music to each, but I'm really tired of keeping a list of what I've deleted.

Is there a nifty way of making this easier? I haven't started a search yet, but I'm hoping you guys might have experience with a good program. Even a folder structure dump might be good that I can toss into Notepad++

2. Dec 10, 2010 at 5:01 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    My husband and I have two computers at home - all our music is on an external hard drive and both our computers access it via a network.

In terms of itunes - we don't allow itunes to 'manage' our music. We do it manually because itunes can be really f'd up when it comes to complexity and trying to network stuff (hard to explain).

An external hard drive wouldn't necessarily solve your 'work' deliemma, unless you physically hook it up to the computer at work. I'm wondering if there's a way you could connect to the external network (at home) via cell or some other method?

(just some ramblings)

I wouldn't delete any music. My husband and I keep everything organized in folders (artist, album). If there's any music we don't want - we simply uncheck it in itunes. Our external hard drive gets 'backed up' regularly.

3. Dec 10, 2010 at 10:15 AM
    Chickenmunga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    I just downloaded FreeFileSync and it looks like it's going to do the trick.

Eh, good idea if you were trying to create your own Shockwave radio or something, but if you are talking about syncing, that's a lot of bandwidth or manual processing.

Why? When I delete a song, I'm usually much better off.

4. Dec 10, 2010 at 12:31 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I agree with Jan- Data is not expensive to keep for the most part. You paid for the music, so why "get rid" of it. Just hide/un-library it and keep it. Never know when it'll have a use again...At least that's how I go. It's your computer- Do what you like!!

5. Dec 10, 2010 at 12:44 PM
    Chickenmunga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    There's many people in the business of deleting their old files for legit copies. :spy:

I have a lot of songs that I really don't like, they just came along for the ride. I have a lot of Korn, but when am I really going to sit down and listen to Twist again?

I'll admit that I have some rap, and that stuff gets dated. I also have techno that I look at and wonder why that ever made it on to my computer. However, rock will never die :headbang:

Products Discussed in

To Top