1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

For all those with an engine whine

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by rktman, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Sep 27, 2017 at 6:25 PM
    ThunderOne

ThunderOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    What if it only makes this noise when the AC on? Does it not matter? Methinks I need to do this. It sounds just like this.

2. Sep 27, 2017 at 6:36 PM
    Dadypig

Dadypig Aka daddy pig

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaime
    East bay Kali
    Vehicle:
    2001 silver extended cab sr5
    Stock for now
    I tell people it's my super charger,they are like WOW!
    (I don't have a super charger by the way).:burnrubber:I just turn the radio up higher no more noise at least inside cab.

3. Nov 23, 2017 at 8:24 AM
    403 Taco

403 Taco Member

Member:
    I developed this whine here in the last few days, once the weather got super cold...here is what is sounds like from in the cab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0mOVOF3UTI

Gets worse as I speed up, I don't think its the PS as it doesn't really change when I turn. It still whines when out of gear so I don't think its anything in the tranny or driveline. Ignore the squeeky clutch pedal and e-brake light...those are other issues haha..Any thoughts?

ThunderOne likes this.
  4. Dec 7, 2017 at 11:24 AM
    whiteshoes07

whiteshoes07 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Access Cab.
    My 2nd Gen did the same thing this morning, it's the coldest day of the season but I have a loud whine that gets louder as the rpms go up. Still whines at idle in any gear, neutral and park.
    What is it?

ThunderOne likes this.
  5. Jan 19, 2018 at 12:08 PM
    ThunderOne

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    is it louder when the AC is on?

6. Feb 2, 2018 at 7:08 AM
    04Burk

04Burk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glen
    Hinesville, GA
    Vehicle:
    04 4x4 V6 Xcab 217k miles
    I have the whine. Just started a couple months ago. Replacing the idler pulley bearing within the next month and will repost the results of the whine gone or still there.

7. Apr 9, 2018 at 6:50 AM
    buckmaster243

buckmaster243 I don’t know what to do with my hands

Member:
    First Name:
    Buck
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB, 2023 4runner
    I’ve got a whine/ squeal coming from my front end. I replaced the idler bearing and it quieted it some but it is still making a ton of noise. It doesn’t change when I turn the wheel. But it will do it at any engine speed if the motor sits at the same rpms for a second or more. Really annoying and loud. Any ideas? Doesn’t change with the clutch in or out.

8. Apr 9, 2018 at 7:57 AM
    ThunderOne

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    I need to get around to doing this, but I don't want to replace the wrong bearing. @buckmaster243 does yours get a lot louder with the AC on? Mine does.

9. Apr 9, 2018 at 12:26 PM
    buckmaster243

buckmaster243 I don’t know what to do with my hands

Member:
    First Name:
    Buck
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB, 2023 4runner
    Nope no change with anything I do besides changing the rpms. It’s pretty easy to replace the lower bearing. I’m going to start pulling belts and see what’s making noises.

10. Sep 26, 2020 at 5:35 PM
    czotie

czotie Dang Ol' TacoBio

Member:
    First Name:
    Zote
    California
    Vehicle:
    2001 Silver Tacoma 4x4 Xtra Cab
    Bilstein 5100's Firestone Riderites Deckplate Mod & AEM Aisin Clutch plate Luk Flywheel Timken bearings Marlin Crawler shifter bushing GTA CarKit Gentex 453
    I've had this issue since I've owned my truck, so since early late 2016 early 2017. Asked multiple mechanics to take a look at it and they never have a good answer. I had the timing belt replaced, and the water pump replaced.

Recently I've become more mechanically inclined. Swapped my clutch, did valve covers, replaced my entire suspension etc... So I did some digging on this and ended up here and a few other pages.

I replaced my Idler Pulley yesterday and it has really helped w/ the whine when in idle/neutral and when in 4th - 5th gear on the highway the whine is completely gone. But I still have a bad wine when accelerating.

Like mentioned before, when the truck is put into 1st gear, or any gear between 1st and 3rd it sounds like whine/wain of landing gear on a 747 coming down, but consistent. It is very apparent in 1st gear, extremely apparent in 2nd gear and then starts to get quieted down in 3rd, then around 1500-1700 RPM in 3rd gear it goes away almost completely. From 3rd gear to 5th gear you can hear it EVER so slightly when you release the gas and the truck is gliding/idling at the speed given. It was muuuuch louder between 3rd and 5th gear before the idler pulley swap.

When I swapped my idler pulley out, I found that tensioner/carriage bolt was bent down toward the tension of the pulley. I think either someone over tightened it, or since the bearings were so crap it was causing extra strain.

I -The next step will be to replace all the actual belts. I have new ones sitting in the garage. Here's a good video from Tim on how to do that

II -If that doesn't fix the issue I'll be replacing the #1 & #2 Idler Pulley along w/ the cam shaft and crank shaft seals and checking my timing belt pulleys, camshaft pulleys, harmonic balancer etc and associated parts since I know the mechanics didn't really do any of that w/ my timing belt change (2k down the drain.) Here's another good vid from Tim on how to do that. I'll probably start by getting the cover off and running the truck for a minute or two in a clean area and seeing if I can track down the whine w/ a stethoscope.

Here's a visual of why you'll want to change your bearings:

Bent Carriage/Tension Bolt for Idler Pulley

Location of Pulley (Removed), Part # 88440-04040

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  11. Oct 24, 2020 at 9:28 AM
    czotie

czotie Dang Ol' TacoBio

Member:
    First Name:
    Zote
    California
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100's Firestone Riderites Deckplate Mod & AEM Aisin Clutch plate Luk Flywheel Timken bearings Marlin Crawler shifter bushing GTA CarKit Gentex 453
    Welp,

I replaced the idler pulley and the alternator and all of the belts under the hood. Replaced my water pump, and the timing belt as well. Some of the whine/wane/squeal went away between 3rd-5th gears, and some of the idling squeal/wane.

Under further investigation with a "stethoscope" when I was replacing my paper transfer case gasket and shifter boot I realized the left over whine/wane/squeal is coming from the R150F transmission. Most likely the main input shaft bearing (or the needle roller bearing under it) or the front/rear counter shifter. The whine/wane/squeal is noticeable when the truck is idling in neutral, or when accelerating between 1st -3rd gears. When the clutch is pressed down, it goes away completely.

Looking at purchasing a transmission rebuild kit with all the bearings: https://www.marlincrawler.com/transmission/rebuild-kit/r150f-minor-rebuild-kit-1988-1091
    Currently seeing if this one will work.

Video of R150F rebuild and whine/wane/squeal explanation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZNWKjVZSrY
    Other posts explaining:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...-a-power-steering-pump-with-low-fluid.414159/
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...e-in-every-gear-manual-trans-heats-up.448107/
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/clutch-whine-noise.503883/

I would do it myself but I don't have a lift and the right size or amount of jacks, currently getting a quote. If I get it done I'll let you guys know if it took away the squeal.

rogerman likes this.
  12. Feb 26, 2021 at 12:47 PM
    Walakazoo

Walakazoo Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver Tacoma PreRunner SR5 V6
    My engine whine started yesterday once I started my truck during my lunch break. The morning of it didn't have the problem. I immediately heard it once starting the truck though. I attached a video at the link below. Not really sure how you embed them into the forum.

Does that noise seem indicative of the idler pulley/bearing?

https://gofile.io/d/BmuQPk

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  13. Mar 1, 2021 at 7:41 AM
    czotie

czotie Dang Ol' TacoBio

Member:
    First Name:
    Zote
    California
    Vehicle:
    @Walakazoo that sounds to me like the same issue I have with the transmission bearings. It's following your trucks acceleration/rpm as it changed speeds and warms up.

Transmission issue: "*Most likely the main input shaft bearing (or the needle roller bearing under it) or the front/rear counter shifter. The whine/wane/squeal is noticeable when the truck is idling in neutral, or when accelerating between 1st -3rd gears. When the clutch is pressed down, it goes away completely.*"

Is your truck a manual transmission? Try pressing down the clutch and seeing if it goes away. That would tip you off that it's transmission. I have yet to rebuild mine.

If not I'm not sure with the idler, my idler wasn't all that noisey.

14. Mar 1, 2021 at 8:09 AM
    Walakazoo

Walakazoo Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    @czotie its an automatic. 2012 prerunner v6. The noise from what I can tell is definitely loudest in the general area of the idler bearings. Went ahead and ordered both top and bottom idler pulleys. Once I get them, I'll swap them out and see if it fixes it.

I did move the wheels around to left and right but it didn't make a difference in the noise. It definitely does follow acceleration or the speed at which the belts move.

15. Mar 3, 2021 at 1:55 PM
    Walakazoo

Walakazoo Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    @czotie looks like the bearings weren't the issue. *sigh*
    Replaced the top most upper and bottom idler pulleys and still the same sound, although it did seem a tad quieter. When you're talking about the input shaft bearing and such, is that an easy DIYer project too? Or is there a way for me to further pinpoint it as the issue? I guess I should take the serpentine belt off and turn the engine on to see if it makes the noise and that would potentially eliminate several possibilities.

I did notice when idle in neutral and park its loudest. When I shift to drive or reverse the noise settles some but is still there. Incase that's of any help narrowing things down.

16. Mar 21, 2021 at 4:27 PM
    czotie

czotie Dang Ol' TacoBio

Member:
    First Name:
    Zote
    California
    Vehicle:
    Bummer, sorry to hear that didn't help.

@Walakazoo I have a manual transmission so I can't give you very much help in the world of automatic. What you're saying about the car being in neutral and loud, and then in drive or reverse and it quieting, is that when the vehicle is stopped? That could be similar to putting the clutch in on a manual (which will stop the bearings and quiet the problem).

The transmissions main input shaft bearing (or the needle roller bearing under it) or the front/rear counter shifter are very different between the automatic and manual transmissions. I'm not familiar with the automatic transmission design on any generation Tacoma and replacing parts on an automatic transmission is MUCH HARDER (general opinion), than on a manual transmission. That's why I have a manual among other things. An automatic transmission works much differently, google automatic trans vs manual. I've never met a DIY'er who could rebuild an auto just because it's pretty hellish.
    Short answer... No. Not with a manual or an auto. It would require you dropping the transmission, having a tranny jack, (an engine jack? when separating) a lift or 4-6 jack stands to hold the truck up and additional parts, replacement of all fluids and a complete transmission take down and rebuild with gaskets and liquid gasket.

Here's Tim's video on how to replace the auto transmission, no rebuild: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZDSjlxl2Q4 to give you an idea of how difficult the job is. If it is your transmission that's a bummer but you could probably get a rebuilt one easy for 1,200 - 2,500 depending on the quality. Could get one from a junkyard for pretty cheap I'm sure. Also, I'd wait for it to take a s#$% unless you have the extra $ to get it over with. Get multiple opinions before you go anywhere near a tranny replacement.

I would suggest: Go around the truck when the noise is happening (maybe with a friend who can make it louder) with a stethoscope. You don't need a doctors stethoscope, just use a nice big long screwdriver or a piece of metal that you can put your closed ear up to and find noises really well. Just place the other end on different parts looking for noise. Go around the car and search for where that sound is really coming from. Start with your transmission to rule it out. It's really hard to pin point pulleys this way but it's doable if you're calm.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  17. Apr 13, 2023 at 3:10 PM
    Walakazoo

Walakazoo Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Just an update.. Alternator finally started to stop charging the battery and after replacing it, the whine went away. Must have been coming from the alternator pulley this whole time.

Area51Runner and czotie like this.
  18. Apr 14, 2023 at 6:41 AM
    Xbeaus

Xbeaus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Black hills South dakota
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma 3.4 5 speed SR5 limited TRD 4x4
    Toytec coilovers. Height adjustable Bilstein's. 265/75/16 MT. TRD wheels. Rebuilt r150f. Marlin clutch kit. All kinds of new parts...

about 8 years ago I replaced my idler pulley with a rockauto one. now - it's on it's way out again. lol If I can remember that far back I had to remove a lot of stuff, radiator and fan shroud. Is there another way to do it without taking all that out? Wasn't that bad but extensive for just that pulley.

19. Apr 14, 2023 at 7:00 AM
    czotie

czotie Dang Ol' TacoBio

Member:
    First Name:
    Zote
    California
    Vehicle:
    On my 01 you just have to take the skid plate off and it's in the frame just underneath the radiator/alternator.

Are you thinking of your timing belt/pulley? That would require pulling out the fan and radiator, and some special tools. I'd suggest buying Toyota OEM parts or Denso parts only so you don't have to do the jobs again so soon.

Xbeaus[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Apr 14, 2023 at 7:01 AM
    Xbeaus

Xbeaus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Black hills South dakota
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma 3.4 5 speed SR5 limited TRD 4x4
    Toytec coilovers. Height adjustable Bilstein's. 265/75/16 MT. TRD wheels. Rebuilt r150f. Marlin clutch kit. All kinds of new parts...
    I would assume it's the same on my 98. I will check out the YouTube and see what I can find. That would be a hell of a lot easier.

Products Discussed in

To Top