1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

?? for you veteran Taco drivers

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by nagelg, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Mar 10, 2008 at 9:03 AM
    nagelg

nagelg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    '08 Black, acc. cab, 4x4, 2.7
    I've been driving big V-8 Fords for years, the last small engine stick I had was back when the starter was on the firewall and the choke was a pull-knob on the dash (just after the invention of fire :)). Here's my question: I drive a new 2.7 5-speed, at what RPM's do you guys find the best performance, mileage, ect? The big V-8's I'm used to ran well just under 2000 and I've been keeping my Taco at about 2000-2500, does this seem about right???

Thanks, George

2. Mar 10, 2008 at 11:01 AM
    nagelg

nagelg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    '08 Black, acc. cab, 4x4, 2.7
    Thanks Phantom, By the firewall I meant just above the gas pedal, on the floor :)

What kinda mileage are you getting?

3. Mar 10, 2008 at 5:23 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    B.F.E., NY
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR DC SB 6SPD
    Bestop canopy, hood struts, relocated 7-pin, 3" Toytec spacer/AAL, 265/75 16 Yokohama Geolander ATS, Hi-Lift mounted in bed, fog light mod, turn signal mod, locker mod, driver seat mag light mount, step bars, reinforced tailgate, ABS kill switch, black grill surround, bed lights, Brute Force front
    I have the V6, 6Spd and I usually keep it around 2000-2500 as well. I can get 30mpg on flat stretches with little wind if I hold it around 60-65mph and around 2k RPMs. Of course, that never lasts long enough to affect the tank average as I run into a hill or something within a couple miles.

You could always buy a scangauge and watch the instantaneous MPG readout to tell when you are getting the most! That would be easier and faster than trying different techniques for whole tanks at a time to see the average.

To Top