1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Found: Source of annoying front end rattle!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by titus5, May 27, 2009.

1. Jul 5, 2016 at 4:01 PM
    07dirtrunner

07dirtrunner New Member

Member:
    SLC Utah
    Vehicle:
    Taco Supreme
    None, work truck
    Hey Guys,
    Thanks for the info!!!
    Just had the Dealer do all brakes and new calipers on my 07. 2 weeks and I now have that same sound. Sounds like I am going to loose the front end. I looked and there is only 1 spring per caliper (old ones had 2). Also drivers side spring was rubbing on rotor causing a squeal. Get this, they charged $950 and forgot to put the brake fluid cap back on. Called and chewed them a new one. Now I am going to call again and squak about the noise. They will want me to bring it back and let them play with it. Problem is: it isn't work truck and they will not give loaners. Sucks!! I may just turn my Avalanche into the work truck and work can pay me for it!

2. Jul 5, 2016 at 9:11 PM
    07dirtrunner

07dirtrunner New Member

Member:
    SLC Utah
    Vehicle:
    Taco Supreme
    None, work truck
    Sorry you all, don't mean to sound so pissy. It is just that lately this Taco is not playing nice. It has been an ok truck since 2007, but have had 3 recalls on it. 1. Airbag spring, 2. Floor mats (which I don't believe. My throttle never stuck once. Then they put in crappy mats.) 3. Leaf springs ( I broke both of them within 2 years and the new ones are squeaky as all get out!!!.) Now having all brakes done with new calipers and getting noises and feeling like I will loose a wheel. I think you can see my frustration! I can't put any load in the bed or weight on a trailer without bottoming out the rear suspension. My original 1971 Hiliux was better!!
    Sorry, I am ranting, but for what I have put into this truck it should be better. Oh yeah it has 116k on it. My last truck had 200k on it before any major repairs needed.
    I would appreciate any advice on making it as good as I am told it is.
    Thanks

3. Apr 20, 2017 at 1:09 PM
    go2cnavy

go2cnavy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 OR DCLB. VF Tuned, 5.29s, Dobinson’s MRR
    OVTuned w/ 5.29s 2” lift on Dobinson’s MRR paired with ICON RXT leaf packs. SCS RAY 10s Toyo Open Country AT III 285/70R17
    Well shucks, found the source of my rattle. Lower pin walked loose OR the dealer forgot to put the retaining pin back in after a tire rotation and brake inspection. I have no proof, but either way it's a shitty design. They should use cotter pins like on my motorcycles. I'm just glad it didn't damage my wheels. IMG_0072.jpgIMG_0073.jpgIMG_0075.jpg

4. Jun 26, 2017 at 5:30 AM
    DaveInDenver

DaveInDenver Not Actually in Denver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White TRDOR AC 6MT
    Unexceptional
    I had a rattle develop in my front end and it was the spring. Although in my case it was pretty obvious why (it had snapped). The symptoms were a metallic rattle that would stop with application of the brakes.

The Toyota part number for these springs is 04947-0C010.

IMG_1568.jpg

5. Jul 2, 2017 at 8:12 AM
    Caddmannq

Caddmannq MotoNerd

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport DC LB
    Undercover toneau
    Do you know if the brakes are the same between the four wheel drive and 2 wheel drive?

6. Jul 2, 2017 at 9:45 AM
    heffer

heffer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    '15 Magnetic Grey 4X4 TRD Off Road
    Icon Extended Travel, SPC control Arms, OME Dakars, B110's
    I have a rattle coming from just the passenger side of my truck. It's a hollow metal sound. I thought is was my bushings but busing a fine/replaced. Then I thought maybe ball joints and the ball joints are fine. The noise only happens when going over bumps like in the op and is a little more exaggerated when there's more weight in the passenger side. Has anyone experienced this?

7. Jul 2, 2017 at 10:02 AM
    EDDO

EDDO                         

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    19 TUNDRA
    Mine had similar symptoms, chased that rattle for a long time. In my case, it turned out to be the supports around the headlights and the radiator causing a rattle coming from the right front of the truck. The end of the upper tie bar was flexing against the side panel/fender causing the noise. Putting a little separation between and a twist in the bar made that noise stop.
    Remove body-colored bolt, insert 1/4" washer underneath, reinstall bolt.

8. Jul 2, 2017 at 10:17 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Learn how to do the brakes yourself.

$950 should get you about 360,000 miles of brake parts. (5 changes done every 60k)

Airbag spring and floor mats? Big deal. Nickel and dime stuff.

9. Jul 2, 2017 at 10:17 AM
    Tex-Tac

Tex-Tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma V6 PreRunner SR5 Extended Double Cab Desert Sand Mica
    Installed Overhead Compass and Temperature Display along with outside temperature sensor and wiring; LED lights reverse backup; LED license plate lights; Added GTA Bluetooth Audio kit to stock radio for iphone audio; Spare tire steel braided air hose extension connection to rear bumper; Installed new headlights along with new bulbs PIAA H4 XTreme and for fog lights PIAA H10 XTreme bulbs. Installed new hood with "hood-scoop". Installed Predator Side Steps. Replaced front chrome grill with customized color matched (Desert Sand Mica) grill with added TOYOTA lettering (also in matched color), installed and secured tailgate anti-theft devices. Also installed a new external TPMS monitor for all 4 tires.
    Sub'd

10. Jul 2, 2017 at 12:32 PM
    heffer

heffer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    '15 Magnetic Grey 4X4 TRD Off Road
    Icon Extended Travel, SPC control Arms, OME Dakars, B110's

Sweet. Thank you I'll try that out today. How did you end up figuring that out? I've been thinking about putting a GoPro somewhere under the car but I have no idea where to mount it

11. Jul 2, 2017 at 1:32 PM
    EDDO

EDDO                         

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    19 TUNDRA
    Took a mallet to the upper control arm with the hood open and heard a noise from that area that went away when I pressed down on the bar with my other hand. Truck no longer sounds like a million mile airport Crown Vic cab.

12TRDTacoma and Benny123 like this.
  12. Dec 16, 2018 at 5:07 PM
    overlandozzy1

overlandozzy1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    2016 WHITE DCLB
    16 DCLB, ADS, 5.29s, 35s, RCI Skids, Baja Designs
    I have the same issue with my 2006

13. Dec 16, 2018 at 6:09 PM
    HillJackJDS

HillJackJDS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma 4WD

I recently has a metallic rattle or vibration at certain Rpm intervals. All passenger side. Knew what it was and finally took a couple of minutes to hit the heat shield on my catalytic converter with my MIG welder at the corner where a rivot had rusted off. Fixed.

14. Apr 28, 2019 at 6:27 PM
    Ccrames2018

Ccrames2018 Jack of some trades.

Member:
    First Name:
    Caden
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 4x4 V6 6MT
    -Bilstein 5100s @1.75" -16x8 SCS Ray10s with 305/70R16 General Grabber AT -CMC -URD Short Throw Shifter -Bed stiffeners -Bed mat -Aftermarket head unit -AFE Rebel exhaust -ME-SO Customs dome/map lights -Window tint with eyebrow -OEM LED 2015 tail lights -GTR Lighting headlight bulbs -Husky floor liners -Camper shell -Sumo Springs -Air intake -Aftermarket Volkswagen key fob -Aftermarket A/C knobs -Aftermarket LED license plate lights -Console organizer -JBA High Caster UCAs
    Thanks so much for the brake pad quiet tip! I did that as well as the double spring mod and it got rid of most of my rattling, all the brake pad slap, and even got rid of some minor steering wheel vibrations and what sounded like a bad wheel bearing that must have been caused by the pads dragging! So much happier with the truck now!

15. Aug 4, 2019 at 9:21 AM
    CVFD

CVFD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 White Tacoma TRD Pro
    Bilstein lift, Road Armor Bumpers,
    I have a 2015 TRD Pro. I bought it second hand. I have a rattle in the left front. Only occurs during left hand seeping curves and when the wheel drops into a depression in the pavement. Not bad just annoying. Sound like lightweight metal not the heavy sound of suspension components. More like metallic rattle that sounds like body panel. Any one hear of something similar

16. Aug 4, 2019 at 4:07 PM
    08TacoTrD

08TacoTrD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    5100's and 883 OME Coils TRD Exhaust Deaver 1.5" AAL Rear Differential Breather Extension, 4WD Light, Tailgate Pipe clamp, Fog lights on while High Beams on, Carrier Bearing flip
    Pin came loose for me a couple months ago. Heard a noise leaving work and figured it out after pulling over 3 times within 2 miles. Lol. Luckily I had a set of new pins ready to go in when I got home.

go2cnavy[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Aug 21, 2020 at 1:35 PM
    Jackson Roykirk

Jackson Roykirk Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC TRD Off Road V6 Auto
    In my case it was small rocks hitchhiking in the hollow metal chamber formed at the frame rails at the front. You can get one eye sighted down the length of it with a flashlight and see if any are in there. The chamber amplifies the rattle of the stones against metal.

Products Discussed in

To Top