1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HomerTaco's big old bucket o’ bolts build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by HomerTaco, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Nov 3, 2018 at 8:58 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco [OP] also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    :rofl:

2. Nov 4, 2018 at 5:00 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    So yesterday royally kicked my ass... :yawn:

We got a pretty late start considering it’s an hour drive to Ants house and no one wanted to get up early on Sat.
    The kids kept busy playing with the cats & a new Super NES system I bought for them - they were very well behaved for once. :rolleyes:

Our first move was to pull the Flippac- easier said than done due to the awkward weight. We just walked it off the truck and put it into Ants F350 bed temporarily.

Looks smaller this way...

Decided to back in to the lift and began disconnecting all the stuff for the bed. Unfortunately undoing my recently completed OBA wiring was also required.

We strapped the bed to the lift with ratchet straps and carefully lifted it straight up.
    Pretty simple operation.

Removal of the stock tank was interesting... a few of the pressure connectors refused to come loose. One line to the canister was particularly difficult - since it got replaced with a different line with the new tank Ant handed me a dremmel & I ended up cutting it off.

Next we setup the lines for the new tank.
    Ant carefully installed the pump & float in the new tank.

All set up ready to go.

Things got interesting after this...

Removal of the stock tank was pretty straightforward but getting this monstrosity back in the same spot was easier said than done. The LRA tank does not use the mounting straps the stock tank does, it bolts directly to the frame using a variety of brackets and off sized bolts...
    Two stock 14mm bolts for the drivers side, two 5/8” bolts with 11/16” nuts for the front cross member, one 5/8”bolt with a backing plate for the passenger side cross member, and some completely asinine plate & hook mount for under the canister.
    I think the Aussie design team was hitting the Fosters a bit too hard the day they developed it... :rolleyes:

We figured out that it needed to be lifted on an angle for the frame mounts to clear the leaf pack. Once we did that it was not hard to get it in the correct position.

One of the 14mm frame bolts was nearly impossible to get started - once we did get it started it would not go more than a 1/4 of the way in. The tank design left zero room for access so after each of us fucking with it for 20 minutes we decided to leave it off.

I believe I was missing a backing plate for the front crossmember bolts. There was nothing for the two bolts to grab onto but the mount holes lined up with larger holes in the cross member so they had to fasten in that spot.

We took a scrap leftover from the F350 gas tank skid and made a backing plate with the drill press and angle grinder.

I swear, no matter what Anthony and I try to work on we end up having to use an angle grinder every time... :facepalm:

After that side quest the final move was to drill a 1/2” hole for the passenger side cross member mount. At this point I was running out of steam & my elbow was screaming at me. I got the hole done an tightened up the last mount.

We filled up the new tank with my 5gal can and the remaining fuel from the stock tank. (About 8-9gal)

Moment of truth... turn the key, crank the engine... will not start.

We think there is air in the fuel line.

Crank again 5 times...

No bueno

:annoyed:

Somethings not right.

We think the fuel lines may have gotten crossed. -_-

I loosened the mounting bolts and swapped the fuel lines at the cross member connection up by the front of the tank.

Jump back in the truck and vroom... fires up! :yay:

Bolt it all back together. Drop the bed back on the truck reconnect the OBA & taillights.

Next move: pull out and get the Flippac back on.

I go to do just that, jump in, turn the key... trucky no starty... :eek:

WTF?!?!

It just fired up after we swapped the lines?

In a nutshell, I ended up dropping the front of the tank again, messing with the lines again, got gassed worse than a Holocaust victim and about 45min later we got it to fire up.

Likely we linked a line or some kind of fuckery, I don’t know and at that point didn’t care. It was running and we were one Flippac install from being done.

Tank installed pics:

Sits about 1/2” or so below the frame rail:

Filled up on the way home:

Mission accomplished. :D

Eternal thanks to @6 gearT444E Ant - he’s going to be getting a wonderful set of new drill bits from Santa this year. :laughing:

3. Nov 4, 2018 at 5:25 AM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    Happy days! Larger fuel cell is still on my want to do list.

A side note, we use the grinder on project here allot more than I’d have ever expected.

Blackout14 and HomerTaco[OP] like this.
  4. Nov 4, 2018 at 8:43 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Better installed pics:

Only an inch to spare on either side.

BassAckwards, Torspd, G.T. and 10 others like this.
  5. Nov 4, 2018 at 12:02 PM
    2012Taco

2012Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB TRD
    OME 886's & Dakar's & LR UCA's, LT265/75 Duratrac's on Countersteer Offroads, 100RCC, ARB 50 fridge/freezer, ARB bullbar w/ Warn 9.5xps, dual battery setup, on board air and water, PrInSu topper rack carrying the gear and more to come!
    Yep, I had the same troubles with that front drive side mount. I honestly think it took about 1/4 of the install time overall pulling the tank in and out f-ing with it. I finally got it in but I was about 15 minutes from just grinding the paint and breaking out the welder.

HomerTaco[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  6. Nov 4, 2018 at 12:03 PM
    TOYTONKA

TOYTONKA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Hatboro, Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2015 tacoma trd sport dclb
    Borla cat back exhaust "touring", K&N cold air intake, weather tech digit fit floor liner front & back, A.R.E. cap w/ bed rug, Redline hood struts, Slow drop tailgate strut, tow hitch d-ring, Transformer badges, window tint
    You have conquered 10 lbs. of shit in a 5 lbs. bag :D:thumbsup:

7. Nov 4, 2018 at 1:57 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    Damn nice job guys. I’m playing with the idea of picking up one of these tanks before I drive out to Montana next summer. Stopping every 200 miles would suck.

HomerTaco[OP] likes this.
  8. Nov 7, 2018 at 9:00 AM
    Anderson

Anderson Dudemanbro

Member:
    First Name:
    Anderson
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    ProBro
    Stuff
    The instructions they supply you with should go straight into the shredder...

I didn’t pulll my bed to install as my Drifter is a bit too much for me and one other to move it. Plus, all the crap in the bed.

I hope I don’t have to mess with this again. However, I now know where to place the jack, when to tilt, where to tilt and how this stupid brackets are oriented.

6 gearT444E and HomerTaco[OP] like this.
  9. Nov 8, 2018 at 5:04 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    jubei and Blackout14 like this.
  10. Nov 8, 2018 at 5:15 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    I like the concept of separating the power from the truck battery for the flippac.
    Moar thought required...

Blackout14 likes this.
  11. Nov 8, 2018 at 7:14 AM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 TRD 4x4, '23 Bronco Wildtrak, 2017 HSQV FE350
    Drop bracket lift and booger welds
    Didn't @sander1036 build one back in the day?

12. Nov 8, 2018 at 7:46 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Think so. Unfortunately he’s been AWOL for quite some time...

13. Nov 13, 2018 at 5:43 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Nimble9, Arcticelf, Chux and 4 others like this.
  14. Nov 13, 2018 at 6:07 PM
    TacoFMS

TacoFMS Bubble bubble bubble pop

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Just a vehicle to take trash to the dump
    One or two things modded... Check out the build thread
    Arcticelf likes this.
  15. Nov 13, 2018 at 6:09 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Which calipers did you go with?

16. Nov 13, 2018 at 6:12 PM
    TacoFMS

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    The newer 4runner not the gx ones. Takes a little bit bigger/thicker rotor, slightly larger pistons and the bonus is now mine and the wife's 4runner take the same brakes.

17. Nov 13, 2018 at 6:14 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    14WA?

18. Nov 13, 2018 at 6:16 PM
    TacoFMS

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Yep, I do believe so.

HomerTaco[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  19. Nov 13, 2018 at 6:18 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Excellent.
    I’ve got some good parts sources but I appreciate the offer! :thumbsup:

TacoFMS[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Nov 13, 2018 at 6:27 PM
    TacoFMS

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:

Good deal. I went with upgraded rotors and pads as well to get the most bang for the buck as well.

You will notice the pedal takes more movement to start braking, but when it starts it's a definite change for the better. Guessing bc of the higher fluid need to move the larger pistons.

Side note... I GOT MY FIRST EVER LIKE FROM ANT!!! I'M SO EXCITED!

Products Discussed in

To Top