1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fox 2.0 shock rebuild

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by magnetic4x4, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Sep 9, 2017 at 12:50 PM
    magnetic4x4

magnetic4x4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Magnetic Gray DCSB XSP-X 4x4
    So, I was going home last night and heard a banging noise whenever I hit a bump in my drive. I parked and started looking around, as it sounded like the bed was loose or something. I look at one of the shocks and find this.
    [​IMG]

My truck had airbags when I bought it, and I took them out when I installed these shocks. I didn't have any bumpstops to put in their place so I just kinda forgot about it. After thinking about how this happened, I realized it must have happened last week when I hit a dip crossing a road. I hit it with a little extra speed this time, and must have been enough to bottom out the shock and force the braided hose into the shock mount.

So now, not only do I need bumpstops, I also need to replace the braided hose, and trim the shock mounts for a little extra clearance to be safe.

Does anyone know how to open up the shock on these? I can't find much info on rebuilding these. There's no holes in the black cap on the shock body put a tool into to spin off like others have. I don't know how much fluid has leaked out so I'm guessing I should open it up to top it off and reset the IFP. The shocks only have about 5k miles on them so the seals are still good. Also I have a decent idea about the tools I'll need recharge the shock, but I don't know if I'll be better off finding someone that can recharge it for now, or just go ahead and buy all the nitrogen stuff. Problem is, I have no idea who I could get to recharge it in my area.

2. Sep 9, 2017 at 3:35 PM
    TMFF

TMFF Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Thornton, CO
    Vehicle:
    01/02 DCLB
    Stuff and junk and things...
    PM me. I think I even have a hose that will work, if not can order and rebuild the shock for you.

3. Sep 28, 2020 at 9:08 PM
    4teentaco

4teentaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lawrence
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 trd sport
    Pro Comp lift, Method 701s,Bajadesigns fog lights and ditch lights
    Don’t mean to bring up such an old thread but do you still rebuild shocks?

Products Discussed in

To Top