1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fox 2.5 Coilover Pre-Load Questions

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Bubbles, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Jul 16, 2017 at 5:30 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    Yeah for 2.5"-3" that does add up to that much thread now I think about. I'm about 2 1/4" of lift which fine for my setup. Extended length shocks droop is only 1/4" so the thread amount doesn't matter.

Zwjense[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Jul 16, 2017 at 5:32 PM
    Zwjense

Zwjense Lover of Scotch and Hipster Beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Jacksonville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCSB 4x4
    285/75/16 Nitto Trail Grapplers, 3ish" Fox 2.5 lift w/ HD Dakars, 16" TRD Pro wheels
    Ahh ok. Yeah that wouldn't seem like it would make that much of a difference. I'll probably end up dialing them down. Don't care about height, Just necessary clearance.

Lord Helmet[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Jul 16, 2017 at 5:34 PM
    Lord Helmet

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    As long as you have aftermarket upper control arms aka UCAs you should be fine with alignment.

4. Jul 16, 2017 at 5:36 PM
    Zwjense

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Jacksonville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCSB 4x4
    285/75/16 Nitto Trail Grapplers, 3ish" Fox 2.5 lift w/ HD Dakars, 16" TRD Pro wheels
    Yeah I added them to the "kit" from headstrong. Just waiting till the end of the month mod day to put it all on :bananadance:

IMG_1127.jpg

5. Jul 16, 2017 at 5:38 PM
    Lord Helmet

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+

Looks great :thumbsup:

I'm switching to Kings from my 2.5" Foxes :D

gargamel05 and Zwjense[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Jul 16, 2017 at 5:40 PM
    Zwjense

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Jacksonville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCSB 4x4
    Did you not like the Fox's? Or was it just time for an upgrade?

7. Jul 16, 2017 at 5:45 PM
    Lord Helmet

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    I actually got a good deal for some extended travel King 2.5" with resi and clickers from a guy I know locally :thumbsup: I couldn't say no to it LOL

Nothing wrong with the Foxes I have, just jumping on a good deal :) I'm saving the Foxes for standby if I ever need the Kings to be rebuilt down the road.

8. Jul 16, 2017 at 5:46 PM
    Zwjense

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Jacksonville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCSB 4x4
    Great idea. I've been thinking about what I'm going to do when I need to rebuild my foxes. At least I'll have a little time to come up with acceptable options.

9. Jul 16, 2017 at 5:48 PM
    Lord Helmet

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    Yeah I thought about getting some Bilsteins 5100s with lifted springs too if I didn't get the Kings :) It just worked in my favor lol.

PvilleJohn likes this.
  10. Jul 16, 2017 at 5:50 PM
    Zwjense

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Jacksonville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCSB 4x4
    I may just have to do that. That will be fun to explain to the wife, haha. Thanks for the inspiration

11. Jul 16, 2017 at 5:54 PM
    Lord Helmet

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    Yup not a problem :thumbsup:

12. Aug 4, 2017 at 12:51 AM
    apocataco2015

apocataco2015 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Salado, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Fox/OME/Icon lift. TRD Beadlocks. Toyo MT’s. Pelfreybilt, RCI, Mobtown armor.
    I'm going to go ahead and ask this because I'm still trying to understand after reading a few threads and watching a rediculous amount of youtube videos. I've got the Fox 2.5's that will lift up to 3" on my 17. Is there a way to adjust them so that I get more lift but maintain the same preload. If I'm thinking correctly, I would just need to turn the treads to raise it higher and not the collar somehow? I've seen videos of coilovers that have up to 3 different collars in which that's possible but mine of course only has 1. I'm just trying to understand this and every time I think I have it figured out I get confused again. Any help is appreciated.
    IMG_3459.jpg

13. Aug 4, 2017 at 8:09 AM
    Lord Helmet

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    Holy mackerel!!!! That's A LOT of preload!!!! If you want a easier way to gain 3" is to switch from the standard 13" springs to 14" springs. That way you have 1" already from the springs and just crank it down to another 2" which is 4 expose threads equals 1/2" of lift. So about 16 expose threads on the collar. Simple!....Done.

SC2SC likes this.
  14. Aug 4, 2017 at 8:35 AM
    ktmslado

ktmslado Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    17 trd pro taco
    2.5 fox dsc/icon uca, icon omega bypass rear/icon aal, icon bumps Wrangler mtr 285/70-17/method grids
    Your ride quality must be terrible. Lol. That's got enuff preload to make sure u have no down travel and defeat the purpose of the coil over. Should have just put a spacer lift if all u want is "lift"
    Adding that much preload means the suspension is almost fully maxed out.
    There is no more droop and that causes ur front end to dive into bumps rather than droop into them. Companies advertise 3in cause u can crank it to 3inches. But for optimal ride quality(why u spent money on fox shocks to begin with) u should only be lifting around 2inches to maintain up and down travel.

Putting a taller spring like lord helmet said is a waste of time as u gain nothing at all besides the look of less preload. The taller spring only works on a strut not a coilover. In no way will that help your situation in fact your just fooling yourself that there is less preload when really ur collar is just spun up a bunch more turns.
    If you do put a taller spring and compress it that much u will have negative droop and the harshest ride known to man!

Upping ur spring rate will in turn raise the front a little more at the same preload that ur at, but will also make the ride quality harsh unless ur adding more weight to the front like a bumper.

Only way to achieve lift without ruining ur ride is a drop bracket lift like the pro comp or bds. There are many reasons why that's not the best solution as well but we won't get into that.

It all depends what u want. A truck that looks cool for the mall or a truck that performs for the dollars that you spent.

*TRD* and Byb127 like this.
  15. Aug 4, 2017 at 8:40 AM
    Lord Helmet

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    :rofl: worse advice eVar :facepalm:

SC2SC likes this.
  16. Aug 4, 2017 at 8:42 AM
    ktmslado

ktmslado Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    17 trd pro taco
    2.5 fox dsc/icon uca, icon omega bypass rear/icon aal, icon bumps Wrangler mtr 285/70-17/method grids
    Go call fox and ask them about putting a larger spring on ur "coilover" and see what kind of remark and answer u get. Same rate, taller spring on coilover is the same as what he has. Just 1 inch less of threads showing. Some must learn the hard way. Lol

*TRD* likes this.
  17. Aug 4, 2017 at 8:49 AM
    Lord Helmet

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    I have foxes: with standard springs

My kings with 14" springs

Yeah I think I should know what I'm talking about :facepalm:

Falldownhard and Byb127 like this.
  18. Aug 4, 2017 at 8:52 AM
    ktmslado

ktmslado Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    17 trd pro taco

Please speak facts as ur pics show that my point is proved. Please explain to this man with facts why ur idea is correct but every shock company will tell you otherwise.

All ur pics show is that the collar is 1 inch higher with 14 in coils to achieve the same lift

lamjam likes this.
  19. Aug 4, 2017 at 8:57 AM
    Lord Helmet

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    Where is your facts? Every coilover company build their coilover off from a 2" lift. I have spoken to Foxes and Kings and they HAVE said you can achieve lift with longer springs. You haven't proven but any but just recycling what you hear on the interweb.

20. Aug 4, 2017 at 9:39 AM
    ktmslado

ktmslado Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    17 trd pro taco
    my facts are listed In what I've said. Regarding maxing out droop at that much preload and moving ur preload collar up 1 inch with a taller spring.(shown in ur picture which has no facts cause u listed no ride height)
    Achieving more lift with a drop bracket lift because it keeps your full travel and actually lifts the truck. (Again not saying this is the answer but the answer for the mall crawlers that want LIFT)

How do I say this in lamens terms. If you leave your preload in the same spot and put a taller spring, all you are doing is crushing the spring and putting excess pressure on the spring and the shaft. Yea it's lifting it to its max but 3in is all u can go. And all u can go for a reason! There is no more travel to accommodate it. There's no where else for it to go. The shaft isn't growin an inch to accommodate ur longer spring. The arms can't droop any further than the stops allow. The travel is limited by the stops. If you want to ride on a completely maxed out suspension pushing on ur stops then this is the best idea for u. Not the intended use of the Coilover.

Apocotaco has room to crank the preload some more but there is no more room to go up in height. He's not out of threads therefore a longer spring will only raise the collar or just make the ride harder.

Your picture shows ur smarter than that cause u don't have ur preload cranked on ur kings "to achieve the same height". Notice the collar sits one inch up from the foxes. Hence a 1 inch longer spring.

Before u get the lord part taken out of ur name cause ur 28000 posts are spam and ur telling someone to buy new springs cause you did it, you should really call fox again and speak with anyone in the building. Or a shock builder, or anyone besides myself cause u obviously can't come to terms that u made a pointless move on ur truck and just don't know it. Hahaha. I'm sorry u will not believe me but maybe if someone else tells u, u might rethink it.

ruffridha9 and Byb127 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top