1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fox 2.5 coils with RC 6” lift

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Kurtblends, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Jul 12, 2020 at 1:10 PM
    Kurtblends

Kurtblends [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Honolulu, HAWAII
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OFF ROAD 4x4
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  2. Jul 12, 2020 at 1:12 PM
    hoarder23

hoarder23 Truck fell over

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    15 Pyrite Mica DCSB Sport
    Scratches
    No, you would need a shock that is long enough to fit there. Let me find a thread that has the correct info.

3. Jul 12, 2020 at 1:13 PM
    hoarder23

hoarder23 Truck fell over

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    15 Pyrite Mica DCSB Sport
    Scratches
  4. Jul 12, 2020 at 1:15 PM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Chief Executive Officer at Kwik Fab

Member:
    Stock
    The rough country kit uses a specific length shock that differs from an OEM replacement.

With that being said, no.

You can get King to sell you a replacement coilover for that kit as well as Bilstein.

I bet Fox can make a custom one for ya but you'd have to send your inquiry electronically.

5. Jul 13, 2020 at 9:56 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    King does make coilovers that fit in a 6" lift. But honestly I don't really see the point. They are still vastly superior to stock (or the RC shocks) because of the spring and valving, but they don't have any increase in travel. I'm sure you could get something custom made, but why? The rest of your lift is still that Rough Country level of quality (i.e. it's the cheapest for a reason). You're basically dumping $1500 shocks into a $800 lift kit.

There's a recent thread about a dude wanting to put Tundra coilovers on his 6" lift because Bilstein makes a 6" compatible shocks for the Tundra, but not Tacoma (apparently).

It really just depends on what you want out of your truck.

If you're on an extreme budget and just need replacement shocks, and don't really care about off-road performance, call RC and get replacement shocks and call it a day.

If you're wanting some higher performance suspension, I would consider if you actually need the 6" lift in the first place. Performance wise, 3" lifts are MUCH preferable for off road performance. You have a much wider selection of high end coilovers, and your center of gravity stays lower. If you "need" to fit bigger tires, just keep in mind there are guys out here running 35's with a nearly stock suspension height. A cutoff wheel and a hammer are preferred methods to fit larger tires than jacking the truck to the sky. If you want >35's, SAS it.

Spend $1500 on a 3" lift, and you'll get better performance out of it than a $1500, or even a $3000 6" lift. You'd need to have your crossmember re-fabricated (the one that was cut to fit the 6" lift). An added expense and effort, but honestly worth it if you are really looking to take the thing offroad.

Products Discussed in

To Top