1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fox Mid-Travel Questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jackrules, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Feb 12, 2013 at 9:54 PM
    jackrules

jackrules [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport LB
    Hi Guys,

So I'm seriously looking at Fox Midtravel coilovers and I have a few questions.

First of all. How will they change the driving characteristics on-road. In other words when I go around a corner, will the truck lean more with the Fox suspension, or stay more level with the Fox suspension. I would prefer that it stay more level, as you would want a sports car to in turns.

Second - How much will front fox suspension do if I don't immediately modify the rear suspension. I don't plan on jumping the truck ever, but I'd like to be able to tear through the desert pretty quickly.

Thirdly - Would I need flared fenders right away? I have 265/70/r17's and don't plan on slamming down on the suspension and digging the wheels up into the fenders.

Fourth - I assume I would need new UCA's when the shocks were installed?

Fifth - while off road tearing through the desert how important is a pre-runner bumper actually? If I were to hit a whoop pretty hard do you actually think it would take out the stock bumper?

So to sum it all up - I really want FOX suspension and to be able to tear through the desert, but I don't want to change body panels unless I have to, and I don't want the truck to feel like a bucket of water going around turns. I also probably won't have the money to put coilovers on the back initially, and would want to be able to start having fun in the desert before I upgrade the back.

Thank you so much,

Jack

2. Feb 12, 2013 at 10:26 PM
    jackrules

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Thank you very much!

So in the back I don't need coil-overs? Just shocks and an upgraded leaf pack? Should I put the fox shocks in the back? Or would bilsteins be enough in the rear?

Just to wonder?? Could I put the shocks from the front of the truck on the rear?

I would like to go 50-60mph in the desert?

I want a full mid travel set up so much but I want to do it right and I don't want to beat up my truck.

3. Feb 12, 2013 at 10:40 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    the rear suspensions of our trucks are leaf/shock, the leafs hold the truck up/are the flexing component while the shocks dampen the bounce of the leafs

4. Feb 12, 2013 at 10:46 PM
    jackrules

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    I don't want to seem stupid, I thought I knew a lot about this.

Coil-overs are just shocks with coils around them.

So I would have fox 2.0 remote resi shocks in the front with the coils around them and I would just have the fox 2.0 remote resi shocks in the rear with the leaf pack.

5. Feb 12, 2013 at 11:56 PM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    All pro 3 link SAS kit, Diamond axle, kings on 37" MTR/K
    My shopping cart looks pretty much same as yours DoorDing.

6. Feb 13, 2013 at 12:11 AM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    All pro 3 link SAS kit, Diamond axle, kings on 37" MTR/K
    I wont have that problem. I'm just gonna go with the Icon mini pack in the rear since the only thing I ever have in the back of my truck is 2 dogs. Plus no deserts here to go bombing through so I dont need straps or resi. I just like the idea of having adjustibilty, rebuildability and of course more travel. Thats why I decided on going with Fox COs instead of the OME kit. After shipping to hawaii and adding UCAs, The DSM Fox kit is about the same as the OME kit.
    I just gotta recover from this back surgery and go back to work before I can order the kit.

Products Discussed in

To Top