1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fox Shocks for 3inch lift on 2020 tacoma

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by mike113001, May 21, 2020.

1. May 21, 2020 at 2:26 PM
    mike113001

mike113001 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2020 red tacoma trd offroad
    lightbar, kicker speakers, sub, and pioneer amp
    I've been doing a lot of research on what i need to get. my main question is, "will the factory fox shocks that come with the trd pro work with a 3 inch lift, or will i need to get different ones?" This will also apply for the struts in the front.

2. May 21, 2020 at 3:01 PM
    AccuTune Offroad

AccuTune Offroad Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    El Cajon, CA
    TRD Pro shocks/coilovers are not adjustable, so no. You would need to get extended length coilovers and upper control arm to run a 3" lift in front, and different leaf springs in the rear to get a lift.

71tattooguy, Mully and whatstcp like this.
  3. May 21, 2020 at 3:04 PM
    mtntacoUT

mtntacoUT Active Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro
    @mike113001 Non adjustable. Either get a puck for them, or sell them to me!

4. May 21, 2020 at 3:06 PM
    whatstcp

whatstcp currently drunk so don't listen to me

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7l 4x4
    King + Archive Relocation Wheeler's bumps +hydros
    Bam! You guys are on it today!

5. May 21, 2020 at 3:18 PM
    mike113001

mike113001 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2020 red tacoma trd offroad
    lightbar, kicker speakers, sub, and pioneer amp
    in that case, what shocks and front struts would i need to get to fit?

6. May 21, 2020 at 3:24 PM
    AccuTune Offroad

Member:
    El Cajon, CA
  7. Sep 11, 2021 at 4:50 PM
    TheIncredibleTaco

TheIncredibleTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR DCSB
    Exhaust reroute RCI steel full skid plates (front, transfer case, transmission) Front camera (anytime backup camera) RCI rock sliders AC Drip mod OEM locking tailgate Brite box fogster anytime fogs Backwoods adventure mods hi-lite front bumper with Baja designs squadron pros ARB single OBA Fox 2.5 PES DSC 2-3” Wheelers superbumps + ubolt flip kit Deaver stage 1 u402 Cab mount chop+fender trim Rrw RR-7 -12 offset with 315/70r17 5.29 regear ARB front air locker Z precision big cupholder
  8. Sep 13, 2021 at 7:56 AM
    AccuTune Offroad

Member:
    El Cajon, CA
    Many kits will claim 3", but thats usually not the case unless you are going more for looks and not performance. 3rd Tacoma's are taller than 2nd Gen, which is why Fox recently changed their product description for 2016+ front coilovers to be 0-2" lift. The further you go towards getting a true 3" lift, the closer you are to have the shock completely topped out at ride height.

9. Sep 13, 2021 at 9:09 AM
    TheIncredibleTaco

TheIncredibleTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR DCSB
    Exhaust reroute RCI steel full skid plates (front, transfer case, transmission) Front camera (anytime backup camera) RCI rock sliders AC Drip mod OEM locking tailgate Brite box fogster anytime fogs Backwoods adventure mods hi-lite front bumper with Baja designs squadron pros ARB single OBA Fox 2.5 PES DSC 2-3” Wheelers superbumps + ubolt flip kit Deaver stage 1 u402 Cab mount chop+fender trim Rrw RR-7 -12 offset with 315/70r17 5.29 regear ARB front air locker Z precision big cupholder
    Ok yea I’m learning 2” is plenty just gets confusing. Thanks!

I think rn I’m between dobinsons ads and fox. I’ll have to make some calls to get additional advice

10. Jan 14, 2022 at 4:33 PM
    PNWtaco541

PNWtaco541 @LFG_Tacoma

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD MT
    Mod: Front Coilovers Spec: 2.5” RR DSC Brand: Fox Mod: Rear Shocks Spec: 2.0” x 12.1” RR CD Adjuster Brand: Fox Performance Series Mod: Rear Shock Relocation Tower Spec: 12-14” travel 2.0” shocks Brand: Archive Garage Mod: Rear Leaf Pack Spec: RXT (Option 1) Brand: Icon Vehicle Dynamics Mod: Ubolt Flip w/ Bump Stop Spec: Active Off-Road Brand: Timbren Industries Mod: Rear Extended Brake Lines Spec: +4” 5 Layer lines Brand: Crown Performance Mod: Rear Leaf Hang and Shackle Spec: 3.6” shackle hammer hanger custom cross tube support bar Brand: Archive Garage Mod: Rear Bumper Spec: HC Tube Bumper "Tilted" Brand: OUTGEAR SOLUTIONS Mod: Aftermarket Wheels Spec: 17x9.0 -25 (4 Inch Backspace) PCD: 6x139.7 Center Bore: 106.1 Limited edition Machined Silver Brand: Summit Off Toad Wheels Mod: Tires Spec: KM3 285/70r17 Brand: BFGoodrich Mod: Seat Covers Spec: Black Perforated Leather and Vinyl Brand: Classio Mod: Cab Mount Chop Spec: DIY Plates Brand: Total Chaos Mod: Upper Control Arms Spec: STRD High Caster Brand: JBA Offroad Mod: Rock Sliders Spec: 80" Brand: DYI Mod: IFS Limit Straps Spec: 15" Brand: TMR Customs / KarTek A few more cosmetic sh*t, will add later…
    Even getting a 2" lift out of Fox's 2.5 coilers is going to mean you ride like shit (IMO) and damn near top out the shock at ride height. My setup with these 2.5's is 21" from top hat to lower shock bolt at ride height. With RXT leaf pack (option 1) and no weight in the back I have quite a bit of rake going on. Frustrating but it is just the reality of the limitations of Fox 2.5's on 3G's.

I'm likely to add a 1/2" spacer (FTW) and set the coilovers with just enough preload to yield me a ~2" total lift. No, this will not cause my UCA's to make contact with my springs. Anyone wanna argue about it? lol

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    SIK99Tacoma and Traction like this.
  11. Jan 15, 2022 at 5:50 PM
    Sandman TRD

Sandman TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indy
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black DCSB TRD Off Road 4x4
    Did you go with the extended travel version that requires a UCA? I only ask because I am looking at the 2.5s and would like to be able to get 2-2.25” of lift. I don’t want to put a ton of preload on them and they ride terrible. If I wanted that I would keep my Bilstein 6112s and just max them out. Guess I want 2” of lift and a great ride. Is this possible w/ the 2.5s?

12. Jan 17, 2022 at 7:02 AM
    AccuTune Offroad

Member:
    El Cajon, CA
    3rd Gen Tacomas are naturally taller than 2nd Gen from factory, so the limitations are not mainly from aftermarket shocks, its other things like CV angles, steering etc. Fox and other manufactures work around the same limitations. The "extended travel" version of the Fox 2.5 RR is labeled as a 0-2" for 3rd gen. Our max ride height recommendation would be pushing that 2" lift mark. Of course ride quality is subjective, and every truck is built differently. I can assure you some tuned Fox 2.5 RR will ride a lot better than those Bilsteins. Shoot us a message if you have any other questions.

Sandman TRD[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Jan 17, 2022 at 11:59 AM
    PNWtaco541

PNWtaco541 @LFG_Tacoma

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD MT
    Mod: Front Coilovers Spec: 2.5” RR DSC Brand: Fox Mod: Rear Shocks Spec: 2.0” x 12.1” RR CD Adjuster Brand: Fox Performance Series Mod: Rear Shock Relocation Tower Spec: 12-14” travel 2.0” shocks Brand: Archive Garage Mod: Rear Leaf Pack Spec: RXT (Option 1) Brand: Icon Vehicle Dynamics Mod: Ubolt Flip w/ Bump Stop Spec: Active Off-Road Brand: Timbren Industries Mod: Rear Extended Brake Lines Spec: +4” 5 Layer lines Brand: Crown Performance Mod: Rear Leaf Hang and Shackle Spec: 3.6” shackle hammer hanger custom cross tube support bar Brand: Archive Garage Mod: Rear Bumper Spec: HC Tube Bumper "Tilted" Brand: OUTGEAR SOLUTIONS Mod: Aftermarket Wheels Spec: 17x9.0 -25 (4 Inch Backspace) PCD: 6x139.7 Center Bore: 106.1 Limited edition Machined Silver Brand: Summit Off Toad Wheels Mod: Tires Spec: KM3 285/70r17 Brand: BFGoodrich Mod: Seat Covers Spec: Black Perforated Leather and Vinyl Brand: Classio Mod: Cab Mount Chop Spec: DIY Plates Brand: Total Chaos Mod: Upper Control Arms Spec: STRD High Caster Brand: JBA Offroad Mod: Rock Sliders Spec: 80" Brand: DYI Mod: IFS Limit Straps Spec: 15" Brand: TMR Customs / KarTek A few more cosmetic sh*t, will add later…
    I did get the "extended travel" option as you called it.

Fox Shock Kit: 05-21 Toyota Tacoma, Front 2.5 Coilover, Remote Reservoir, UCA Required, 0-2″ Lift, 0-3″ Lift, DSC
    SKU: FOX-880-06-418 (Accutune)

I don't want to steer you away from them but I am struggling to get the 2" of lift myself without maxing out the preload and toping out the shock. I pretty much applied the max amount of preload to level out my setup, almost 22" from top hat to lower shock bolt at ride height. After talking with the guys last AccuTune they explained that this was well over the max recommended preload for these guys and recommended I adjust them down to 21" at ride height to be safe. Right now I have about 1" of lift and the ride quality isnt too bad.

As I mentioned in my previous post, my plan is to split up the desired lift between preload adjustment and a small spacer plate, (about an inch from each.) You cannot use a spacer plate that bolts onto your coilovers, this rotates your mounting points on the top hat causes all sorts of issues, just don't. You have to be careful that what ever UCA you are using does not make contact with your springs at full droop. Even if this setup does cause contact between the UCA and Springs a very simple solution is a IFS limit strap installation, which was part of my build plan either way. The spacers I'm going to try out are intended to correct whats known as Taco Lean, caused by uneven weight distribution causing the driver side to ride a little lower than passenger. I'm just using one on each side and using the preload to correct the lean.

Probably going to make Thread or find a Tread to post all this too to address the limitations of these 2.5's by Fox. Anyways, hope that helps.

Sandman TRD[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Jan 20, 2022 at 12:11 PM
    aturk

aturk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Charlotte, NC
    What springs are you on?

15. Jan 20, 2022 at 12:19 PM
    texas angler

texas angler Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas Hill Country
    Vehicle:
    20 OR
    Hell no on arguing. Enjoy that spacer and your setup.

but I will say throw some weight in the back to get that rxt setting 1 to settle. It will. I have never got caught up in all the measurements folks do on ride height. But I have Fox 2.5 dsc all around and rxt setting 1. After a few trips with mucho weight it has settled and doesn’t look jacked in the back. With my load I should have went with setting 2. And I will.

PNWtaco541[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Jan 20, 2022 at 12:29 PM
    LiquidArrogance

LiquidArrogance Well-Known Member

Member:
    Streets of Bakersfield
    Vehicle:
    2021 SSM Sport 4x4
    Have you looked at the Ironman 4x4 Foam Cell Pro kit? With the constant load option I was able to get 3" in front and 4" in the rear (2021). They are a lesser-known Australian outfit with a recently added US distribution center in Oregon. Marketing is pretty cringeworthy but they make a quality product (and judging by your avatar you just might like their marketing!).

I liked the kit because it was everything I needed and nothing I didn't... they're always having sales going so keep an eye out.

https://ironman4x4america.com/foam-cell-pro-suspension-kit-suited-for-2005-toyota-tacoma-stage-2/

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/ironman-4x4-foam-cell-pro.427407/

[​IMG]

YE2KA likes this.
  17. Sep 7, 2022 at 7:58 AM
    PNWtaco541

PNWtaco541 @LFG_Tacoma

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD MT
    ....a year later... my bad!

Fox DSC 2.5 Spring.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top