1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fox vs Icon

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by cmytacoma, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Jan 5, 2018 at 3:01 PM
    Tacomamike mike

Tacomamike mike Just that, nothing more.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD OFFROAD 4x4
    Working on it, dissent offroad racks, shift sense pro, pedal commander , ARB twin, rigid SS dually's , dual batteries, ARB fridge , 2.5 Fox coil overs wResi , 2.5 Fox rears w resi Total chaos UCA , deaver packs , Nitto trail grappler's 33" .
    Like I said, those that have them swear by them. And there the same price as a nice set of fox or kings .

2. Jan 5, 2018 at 3:08 PM
    FinnJ

FinnJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Finland
    Vehicle:
    2007 FJ Cruiser 6M/T
    TRD SC, UCON, CNG conversion, RC 6" (lifted 4"/3" air suspension) w/FOX 2.5, 315/70R17 Duratracs, RECARO seats, etc.
    This is from my email discussion with FOX:
    Me: DSC only makes shocks stiffer, not possible to adjust (dials) softer than without DSC?

3. Jan 5, 2018 at 4:20 PM
    Tacomamike mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    Working on it, dissent offroad racks, shift sense pro, pedal commander , ARB twin, rigid SS dually's , dual batteries, ARB fridge , 2.5 Fox coil overs wResi , 2.5 Fox rears w resi Total chaos UCA , deaver packs , Nitto trail grappler's 33" .
    We
    This is from Fox? Or from someone who is in “aftermarket “ sales somewhere?
    Because I just got off the phone with a rep who sales fox and read this to him and he just laughed.
    I’m confused .

4. Jan 5, 2018 at 4:32 PM
    paranoid56

paranoid56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    14 double cab taco
    I got my FOXs from Accutune off road and they had me give weights and build type and custom tuned the shocks for me. Now, i still plan on doing a custom tuning session to get them dialed in perfect as i have added a bit more weight since then lol.

5. Jan 5, 2018 at 4:47 PM
    skullver

skullver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ventura, CA-Carpinteria, CA, La Conchita, CA.
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4wd double cab, short bed, black. 2007 Sequoia SR5 Silver.
    This is right from the Fox DSC page:
    http://www.ridefox.com/technology.php?m=truck&t=dsc

"Dual Speed Compression

The Dual Speed Compression (DSC) adjuster provides added control and comfort tuning for on-road use while also offering more aggressive damping for use off-road. The adjuster allows for precise suspension tuning with the simple twist of two clearly defined knobs: No tools and no mess, just a way to easily fine-tune your suspension to best suit your needs in any conditions. The DSC increases both low and high-speed compression levels up to 25%, allowing you to maximize small bump compliance and traction while still having the extra damping required for big hits."

6. Jan 5, 2018 at 4:51 PM
    Tacomamike mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    Ok so it adjusts up to 25% on both levels.
    Soft and firm.
    Not sure what your point is ? But that just proves that the “guy from fox” was wrong :).

7. Jan 5, 2018 at 4:53 PM
    skullver

skullver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ventura, CA-Carpinteria, CA, La Conchita, CA.
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4wd double cab, short bed, black. 2007 Sequoia SR5 Silver.
    I'm not quite sure how that can get any more clear.
    "The DSC increases both low and high-speed compression levels up to 25%"

I'm not sure what your definition of "increase" is. High speed, and low speed are not soft and firm, that is the velocity of the shock shaft.

With traditional bypass shocks, there is a lot more tuning you can do as there is a lot more porting to bypass the shock piston and valve stack, and you can bypass the piston and valve stack making them "softer". But when they are fully closed, the fluid is all routed through the piston and valve stack, at that point if you need more aggressive characteristics, you need to take them apart and adjust the valve stack itself.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  8. Jan 5, 2018 at 6:37 PM
    Tacomamike mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    Must be my definition:) classic

9. Jan 6, 2018 at 1:20 AM
    FinnJ

FinnJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Finland
    Vehicle:
    2007 FJ Cruiser 6M/T
    TRD SC, UCON, CNG conversion, RC 6" (lifted 4"/3" air suspension) w/FOX 2.5, 315/70R17 Duratracs, RECARO seats, etc.
    33848369-E7D5-47C7-866C-F6D274517370.jpg

10. Jan 7, 2018 at 7:46 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    Crazy man, I figured you had icon stuff.

11. Jan 7, 2018 at 9:06 AM
    paranoid56

paranoid56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    14 double cab taco
    had them on my old truck, would have no issues running them again but went a different way this time lol

12. Jun 17, 2018 at 10:50 PM
    urban

urban Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois/Michigan
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB sport OME lift
    305/65r17's on 17x9.5 Rotiforms Cab mount chop 4.10 gears Detroit true track OME 885's Dakars Camburg UCA's Undercover SE Weathertech liners and visors Black headlight mod Debadged Rock Blokz mudflapps (oversized)
    So in my opinion the biggest difference between the Icons and Fox shocks is the shape of the force vs velocity curve. Icons, as well as Bilsteins are generally what are refereed to as digressive valving where Fox and I think Kings are more linear or even progressive. Basically digressive shocks are stiffer at slower wheel speeds and resist quick movements proportionally less. This is why a lot of people probably perceive the Icon shocks as stiffer, especially at lower vehicle speeds. Progressive valving is the opposite profile, so they do not resist slow movements

Digressive valving is definitely the preferred choice for handling and controlling body, however. One can think of bumps as high speed suspensions moment where body roll, brake dive, ect. are definitely slower, which digressive valving will control better. They will be stiff over bumps at lower vehicle speeds but as the vehicle speed increases so does the wheel speed when hitting bumps and they will become a bit more smooth.

Off road it is somewhat different. The Icons are probably more suited to faster desert style driving where the Fox's will probably be a bit better suited on trails and rocks. Digressive valving's resistance to slow speed wheel movement has the befit on road if controlling body motion but off road it not going to want to flex/articulate quite as readily.

One might think progressive has a definite benefit that its increased resistance to high speed movement might help prevent bottom out during hard hits but this is the idea of a bypass shock. There are three zones, center which is where the truck might be at rest, and then a different zone in compression and extension. In compression the shock resists compression more than in the center zone and reduces rebound resistance to get the wheel back to the center more quickly. In extension there is a greater rebound resistance and less compression resistance, all with the idea of getting the wheel to return to center quickly and resist hitting the extremes of travel.

All will perform way better than average shocks so it is mostly a matter of preference. Would you be more comfortable driving every day a Cadillac or a Porsche? For me there is no question, I prefer handling and I will Icons when the I replace my current OME shocks.

_gray_knight_ likes this.
  13. Jun 18, 2018 at 4:40 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    Well said...Im more of a caddy guy but still prefer my speed.

14. Jun 18, 2018 at 3:23 PM
    *TRD*

*TRD* Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Carson, Ca
    All reservoir mounted compression adjusters are an additional restriction on top of the base valving. Therefore they are only capable of making the shocks stiffer.

Factory valved Fox and King shocks are very soft and bouncy, just like the stock shocks.

Products Discussed in

To Top