1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fram Oil Filters

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by blenderdriver, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Mar 12, 2010 at 4:37 PM
    blenderdriver

blenderdriver [OP] Inflamed Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    texAss
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Grey 2010 4 Door, 4X4, Long bed.
    Powered by one tailgate mounted CFM56–7 engine. The engine is a dual–rotor, axial–flow turbofan engine capable of producing 27,000lbs of thrust. Why yes, my tailgate is slightly bowed in.
    First of all I'd like to say I am new here, did a search and couldn't find the answer I was looking for, with that said....

Bought a 2010 Double Cab Long Bed 4x4 at the end of December, just reached a thousand miles and want to do an oil change. Bought a Fram 3614 oil filter, was at Walmart and thought I'd grab one quickly, the reference computer they have in the filter aisle didn't have 2010 Tacoma. For the 2009 it shows the 3614, this is the same filter I used on my 1996 Tacoma for as long as I can remember for the 14 years I had it. After looking through all the owners manuals that came with the truck, and spending about five minutes on my back under the truck trying to figure where the heck the oil filter was, I realized the Toyota filter was longer than the Fram. Does anyone know if the Fram 3614 will work or is there a different one they make??? :notsure:

Thanks in advance, confused in Texass.

2. Mar 12, 2010 at 4:39 PM
    NWtacoma

NWtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    265/70/17 bfg AT
    dont use fram. go to toyota and get one from them. and the filter is on top of the engine bro.

3. Mar 12, 2010 at 4:39 PM
    Logically Insane

Logically Insane Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    TN --- USA
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner Access Cab
    Kobalt toolbox mounted with J-Hooks, Locks on storage compartments in bed, Window Visors, Toolbox LED Lights, Underbody Lights, More to come.
    I wouldn't use a fram man.. I'd just go to the dealer and get theirs, or go to an auto parts store..

4. Mar 12, 2010 at 4:57 PM
    Taco John

Taco John Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    4X4
    Buy a Wix, Carquest or Napa (both made by Wix). Well worth the $5 they charge. Stay away from Fram. You can buy your oil at Wally world, but not your filters ;)

5. Mar 12, 2010 at 5:02 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.

Do your truck a favor and do not use a Fram. Spend a few extra bucks and get a "Toyota TRD Oil Filter" ... better than OEM Toyota filter ... finer filter media and welded nut on filter top for easy installation & removal.

IMO ... good oil filters are just as important as using a good synthetic.

Does your truck like all those particles floating around (going through the engine over & over) without being trapped in a good filter ... :confused:

6. Mar 12, 2010 at 5:02 PM
    blenderdriver

blenderdriver [OP] Inflamed Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    texAss
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Grey 2010 4 Door, 4X4, Long bed.
    Powered by one tailgate mounted CFM56–7 engine. The engine is a dual–rotor, axial–flow turbofan engine capable of producing 27,000lbs of thrust. Why yes, my tailgate is slightly bowed in.
    Ok, the people have spoken, off to Toyota in the morning to buy a few there. Thanks again, appreciate it.

Blenderdriver

7. Mar 12, 2010 at 5:11 PM
    ROADHOG

ROADHOG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Valley of the sun
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl cab 4x4 TRD Offroad fully loaded
    Big block Chevy engine(just kidding)
    Who online sells the Toyota TRD oil filter?I despise going to the dealer.

8. Mar 12, 2010 at 5:33 PM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Nothing wrong with the Fram, some just like to parrot what they hear on the internet

yes your Taco uses a Fram 3614 or if you desire a Fram 3600 for the oversize filter

I have used Fram for years no problems

I use the Fram PH3600 on my Taco

t4daddy likes this.
  9. Mar 12, 2010 at 5:35 PM
    TacoSupreme

TacoSupreme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    007 DC Cuatro Por Cuatro
    What prices are you guys getting from the dealer for oil filters?

10. Mar 12, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    ROADHOG

ROADHOG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Valley of the sun
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl cab 4x4 TRD Offroad fully loaded
    Big block Chevy engine(just kidding)
    I used Fram for the past 25 years with no problems.These guys on this board get me paranoid though and this is my first venture into the synthetic oil realm with my 2010 taco.Maybe i'll just stay with Fram then.

t4daddy likes this.
  11. Mar 12, 2010 at 5:38 PM
    Sparky4.0

Sparky4.0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
    i use k&n even on my beater rigs

12. Mar 12, 2010 at 5:50 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i got nothing to add, but everytime i see "tacosupreme's" log on name, i crack up. best one.

13. Mar 12, 2010 at 5:53 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Seems like you're "that guy"...always want to disagree with the majority opinion...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX0xrqvlsNI

14. Mar 12, 2010 at 5:58 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.

Info for PMs .... part number .... on the box ... it says ....

.... "TRD Performance Oil Filter - PRT43-00080" ..... and don't forget to install a new oil drain plug washer each time too.

15. Mar 12, 2010 at 6:00 PM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Oh the I saw it on you tube so it must be true thing.

Please I could tear open Bouch,Purolator,Mobil, Motorcraft, and see the same thing

Paper end caps ( I admit the guy is a wordsmith) - please tell me what is wrong with the polymer impregnated end cap ?

And where is the proof this guy has no agenda ?
    If you want to see how good fram are tear one open yourself don't be fooled by people who have an agenda - no matter what it is

I am betting dollars to donuts that numbnuts did that to the filter when he was tearing it open anyway

16. Mar 12, 2010 at 6:03 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium

I will say this ... you can really feel the difference (in weight & casing strength) between the TRD filter and a cheap one.

The TRD oil filter weighs about twice as much as an "el-cheapo" filter. The TRD oil filters are not cheap though.

EDIT ... The TRD filter looks like it is possibly made by K&N or to K&N specs ... ??

17. Mar 12, 2010 at 6:08 PM
    SilverStreak05

SilverStreak05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    DR coilovers, DR rear reservoir shocks, Deaver custom 11 pack leaf springs
    Using a Fram filter isn't the end of the world. If that's what you got, use it. Step up to a better quality filter next oil change.

18. Mar 12, 2010 at 6:15 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Lotta justification you got there. I've been in Fram filters...they are absolutely a step below most all others on the market, and two steps below premier filters like Amsoil, Royal Purple's new line.

I'll just spend the extra $1 on an OEM Toyota filter that isn't shit. A lot easier than rationalizing a purchase of something that is.

19. Mar 12, 2010 at 6:20 PM
    Taco John

Taco John Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    4X4

I did not "parrot" my thoughts from the internet. I have been using Wix filters for 16 years and the internet for no more that 12. I also use Moog chasis parts, Victor and Felpro gaskets Wagner/ PBE and EBC brakes, Bosch and NGK plugs and a variety of other parts. My comments are based on a lot of years of turning wrenches on everything from chainsaws to large tractors and everything in between.

IMHO, the Wix and the Denso filters are better than the Fram and can be gotten for not much more money. The wix happens to be available at 3 stores on my way home from work.

Of course I also use dino oil and change it often and some will tell you to run synthetics and not change them for 50k. The internet has its merits, but you must also use your own judgement.

20. Mar 12, 2010 at 6:29 PM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    If you're gonna use fram, might as well as use an STP filter. And yes you can tell the difference in wieght as far as the filters go. Grab an STP, then a bosch or K&N or Mobil 1 fil. you'll notice they're a lot heavier than cheap fram and STP filters. If you use the fram get the Fram Tough Guard. Its the Gray one. and besides, you can get an Oil fil WITH the Sythetic oil for about 30 bucks at either autozone or O'Reilly's. O'Reillys has the castrol Edge with a K&N fil for like 30 bucks. save you're money on the filter and get a good filter and oil. you only want whats best for you, why not your truck?:cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top