1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame Replacement APPROVED: Questions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacomanewframe, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Jul 24, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    tacomanewframe

tacomanewframe [OP] Member

Member:
    Greetings,
    I took my 2001 Regular cab 4x4 with manual transmission in for the free frame inspection. They told me it needs a new frame as perforation was just starting. I'm waiting for them to call me once the parts come in and had a few questions. The most important question is:

1) Exactly what parts and services are included in this replacement and where can I get an official list of said parts? I want this so I know I'm not being charged for parts supposed to be included with the frame replacement. I don't trust the dealers much due to past experience.

2) The service tech mentioned that I could get additional work performed with zero labor cost. What would you suggest?

The truck has only 65,000 miles on it. I was thinking of having a new clutch installed even though it doesn't really need it. Other items will be new exhaust, fuel filter, shocks and belts as they are all original with the exception of the exhaust. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Jul 24, 2011 at 11:32 AM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    If they are offering free labor they might make it up with what they will charge you on the parts.

3. Jul 24, 2011 at 11:32 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Besides new shocks I think you would be paying for everything else to be changed out.

4. Jul 24, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    tacomanewframe

Member:
    Maybe I misunderstood the service manager. Here's what I thought he said:

If Toyota has to remove it, then I get free labor on new parts that are bad and not included in the frame replacement. I buy the parts, they install them for free (free labor). I assume the exhaust system has to be removed in order to change the frame out? Same for the transmission? I'm just trying to see what others have experienced when they had thier frames replaced. Any and all help or info is appreciated. Many thanks.

5. Jul 24, 2011 at 2:09 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    They won't remove the exhaust manifolds for a header replacement but I'm sure if you buy a new cat back exhaust they may install it for you. The engine and transmission comes out as one unit. Rarely does it need to be separated so I wouldn't count on free labor to swap out the clutch.

6. Jul 24, 2011 at 2:13 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    hi,

My '02 frame was replaced along with lower ball joints...another TSB....

I paid for new struts and shocks at their cost,labor was free....nothing else major was needed....

Your best bet is to make your service writer a best friend NOW.....they will be your eyes for this and getting them on your side saves you $$$ and headaches....and If something comes up ( my emergency brake cams were seizing up ) do not be afraid to buy your tech lunch ;).....

Considering Toyota replaced the WHOLE bottom 1/2 of my Tacoma,I came out very happy :cool:....total of 16 days BUT free rental and updates throughout ( I was able to see the old tranform into new with phone calls from the SW helped)....

Now if I could get them to warranty my CEL's on the Camry :rolleyes:,oops wrong forum.....:p

7. Jul 24, 2011 at 2:22 PM
    tacomanewframe

Member:
    Thanks for the info about the tranny. I'm going to have to haggle hard about the exhaust as I want a new one including cat converter. I know the Toyota exhaust systems are expensive but the aftermarket junk lasts one winter around here and it's toast.

Does anyone have a list or alink showing ALL the parts that are included in the frame replacement? Thanks

8. Jul 24, 2011 at 5:52 PM
    tacomanewframe

Member:
    Forgive my ignorance but who would be my "service writer" and what is "another TSB"? Many thanks for your help.

9. Jul 24, 2011 at 5:55 PM
    UndefinedTaco

UndefinedTaco I'll eat all your food.

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    TSB= Toyota Service Bulletin

Pretty much it's recalls and lemon fixes you get done for free, or sometimes they just advise you to do this, or that to the vehicle...

Depends what the TSB is referring too.

10. Jul 25, 2011 at 6:10 AM
    Dred777

Dred777 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Delaware, OH
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off Road
    Nerf Bars, Color Matched UndercoverSE Tonneau Cover
    Which years were affected by the frame issues?

11. Jul 25, 2011 at 7:07 AM
    tacomanewframe

Member:
    It started out with the years 1995 - 2000....then they increased it to 2001-2004. They were offering buybacks on the '95-00 but frame replacments only on the '01-'04.

Can anyone provide a list of parts that are included in the frame replacement?

Products Discussed in

To Top