1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame Replacement is Damaged/Rusted from Toyota

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Lawaia808, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Oct 23, 2021 at 11:14 PM
    Lawaia808

Lawaia808 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Qualified for a frame swap and finally got my truck back after a few months. Unfortunately, my new frame has multiple areas that show light damage, resulting in bare metal exposed and/or rust.

I took photos & emailed it to my local dealer, sharing my concerns/issues with the replacement. They called me to explain that the Toyota distributor for my state (Hawaii) has had supply chain issues, sending frames to the islands stacked on reinforced pallets with no wrapping or protection from the elements (Keep in mind, these things ship on a barge across the Pacific). Apparently, the majority of frames arriving to my dealership show wear, damage, and rust (especially on weld seams). He said some were flat our rejected, while others were just put on the trucks as is, like mine. Said only a few customers reached out to complain (people like me who bothered to check).

I was asked to complain to their distributor as my dealership has already pushed the issue with them. As far as my solution? They offered to bring a body shop in to spot-treat my frame in areas that show rust with a rust converter or inhibitor and topcoat. He did not say that a new replacement would be offered.

I want to push the issue and demand that a better frame be put on. That was the whole point of the lawsuit & settlement, right? Or do I take the spot treatment and hope it's done right? In anticipation for a new frame, I bought a fluid gun kit and gallons of it to be on top of preventative care..

I'm 1000% eternally grateful to have a frame replacement at no cost, no doubt. I just feel shorted on this. I know how labor intensive these jobs are, but at the end of the day, I feel in the right to have a clean frame..

Anyone care to weigh in or share their experiences?

20211021-IMG_2008.jpg
    20211021-IMG_1998.jpg
    20211021-IMG_1984.jpg
    20211021-IMG_1988.jpg
    20211021-IMG_1989.jpg
    20211021-IMG_1992.jpg
    20211021-IMG_1983.jpg

nastruck likes this.
  2. Oct 23, 2021 at 11:21 PM
    Just_A_Guy

Just_A_Guy I miss snow

Member:
    Vehicle:
    A truck
    Pictures don’t look terrible. Would I be pissed? Yes. Without a doubt. But think of it this way; your truck is in a much better place than it was pre frame replacement. If the frame is structurally sound, let the dealer touch it up via body shop, fluid film it, enjoy the truck. Maybe ask for the dealer to throw in some freebies to make you feel better.

While it’s not a great excuse, getting stuff to Hawaii is hard. Especially when those shippers don’t care at all about the condition of their cargo. Be happy for what you got :D

drizzoh, tacoman45, eherlihy and 6 others like this.
  3. Oct 23, 2021 at 11:23 PM
    Empty_Lord

Empty_Lord Toyotaholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Northwest Indiana/Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    66 Mercedes, 93 mr2, 95,98,01,02 Tacomas, 05 Tundra + others
    Too many trucks and mods to list.. check builds
    best off just touching up the spots and going on with life. they'll never be perfect and the fact they replaced it is gracious as it is. my buddies 2012 ford rotted in half and ford told him "tough luck"

4. Oct 24, 2021 at 12:23 AM
    Lawfarin

Lawfarin Who me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Beetle Juice
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra
    So you want to raise hell and probably get another frame that is damaged or will be damaged swapping back over? Just touch up the spots and be grateful you got a frame. There’s been plenty of people who have been SOL when it comes to frame replacements in areas far worse than the climate of Hawaii.

5. Oct 24, 2021 at 12:46 AM
    Lawaia808

Member:
    Thanks for the feedback/conscience check! Tried not to come across as ungrateful and whiney, as I’m aware of how many people were boned and rather be in my shoes. I’d be okay with touching it up and moving on vs having my old rotted frame any day of the week It just came across as a shock to see a new frame with signs of rust is all.. FWIW, I live, work, fish, and camp in proximity to the sea. So my truck sees a ton of salt lol

6. Oct 24, 2021 at 1:20 AM
    burrito782

burrito782 Shit Throwing Ape

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    I pretty much echo what the others have said, but FWIW the new frames already rusted (especially at the weld joints) is not something peculiar to only your situation/area. I vividly remember seeing stacks of new frames at the local dealers here in the Midwest with next-to-no protection, covering, etc. and they too were exhibiting a lot of the same issues you're griping about. Doesn't make it right by any means, but also doesn't mean you folks in Hawaii are the only ones seeing this issue.

nastruck likes this.
  7. Oct 24, 2021 at 5:28 AM
    winkel

winkel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corydon, IN
    Vehicle:
    2014 Spruce Mica, TRD Off-Road, 6 Spd Manual
    Sliders, Tailgate Liner
    Dude, you have a new frame. If those little marks bother you, buy a can of Rust Oleum and fix it.

8. Oct 24, 2021 at 5:37 AM
    hfjeff

hfjeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Frozen Tundra
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green Off Road
    Oh my goodness... I would be thrilled that I qualified and received a new frame. Touch it up with rust oleum as others mentioned.

Chris2009, Junkhead and winkel like this.
  9. Oct 24, 2021 at 5:59 AM
    ovrlndkull

ovrlndkull STUKASFK - HC4LIFE

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Burlington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB Silver
    63s, XD Machete, Beat not Babied
    The dealer told you to go somewhere else to complain for 2 reasons one some of that damage probably was caused by installation and some was probably caused by shipping. The first that will be their fix paint it with a rust inhibitor paint as it'll chemically stop the rust and put a protective coating back on the frame. The latter sadly any damages incurred during shipping they accepted the package in other words the freight company will tell them to pound sand you shouldn't of accepted and not even deal with them. You got a new frame and not just a new frame but a ton of other items that get replaced along with that. Be happy for what you got and don't be that guy because if you push for another new frame that tech and dealership won't be as nice the second time replacing it and rush it more. I know it sucks but guess what sometimes you just got to roll with the punches.

10. Oct 24, 2021 at 6:24 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    My 2011 frame is original, they all surface rust more often than not right at the welds. Wire wheel and some black paint I go after mine ever year it gets treated then fluid film it's still black. I live close to the NH boarder in ME they tend to clear snow with salt I really doubt they will do any thing about it. It does need to be treated but it's no big deal.

11. Oct 24, 2021 at 6:25 AM
    Hyperbarics

Hyperbarics Commercial Diver & Taco Driver

Member:
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB - Nautical Blue Supremacist
    That bit of “rust” is nothing to worry about. Most steel has a protective layer that is burned off during grinding chipping welding- which is why you’ll see rust on welds even on new pieces. If I’m working on a ship, often times within a day, any spots that have received a significant amount of heat, grinding, or welding will already have that surface oxidation. If you’re really anal about it, get a wire wheel in there before you paint it. It’ll be shiny new.

Taco 422 likes this.
  12. Oct 24, 2021 at 6:28 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Touch it up where you want to and then give it a proper treatment with a fluid Film, cosmoline or wool wax product. Which is actually on you anyway.

Count your blessings that you have a new frame, period.

blu92in99, RedWings44 and Tacoma Mike like this.
  13. Oct 24, 2021 at 6:42 AM
    batacoma

batacoma Truck Wars

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Regular Cab 4spd
    The frame should last at least another ten years or more, as is. What year is your truck? Do you expect the rest of your truck to last ten more years?

Your truck will probably last more than another ten years.

Although the components on the underside of a unibody vehicle are susceptible to rust. Perhaps a Ridgeline or another unibody vehicle is the right choice for people concerned about frame rust.

14. Oct 24, 2021 at 6:47 AM
    RedWings44

RedWings44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD Off Road 4x4, 2019 MGM 4Runner SR5
    I think I remember your last post about your new frame. As someone who lives in the rust belt I recommend touching up and coating with rust protection. Hawaii may have much cleaner vehicles than here, but salt water is still salt water.

Yes it is annoying, but better than the old frame. No frame is going to remain perfect. Toyota is the only one who actually seems to address this. Just check it/re apply coating every now and then and you'll at least be able to keep up with it.

15. Oct 24, 2021 at 7:09 AM
    GorgeRunner

GorgeRunner Out There

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner
    Dealer could have cleaned and touched up the frame before installation. Dealerships should not be installing damaged, rusty parts.
    OP, you live in the islands, you should know the drill; everything more expensive and not always available.
    As previously posted, the "new" frame will last, at least, ten years. Don't worry about it.

16. Oct 24, 2021 at 7:24 AM
    SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Onwards and Upwards!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 ACLB, ‘99 XCLB, ‘92 RC, ‘85 4R
    My brand new ‘21 has a little rust at the welds, a few nicks here and there, which is normal. I’ll just hit those spots with some farm implement paint, like I did on my 1st Gen that is known for frame rust issues…and still looks good after 22 years.

17. Oct 24, 2021 at 7:25 AM
    Knute

Knute Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4.0L Tacoma TRD Sport
    Stock, 4WD, Access Cab, White,
    Your dealer has offered you a solution to your complaint. Dealer has also stated the cause of the problem. Dealer suggested for you to lodge a complaint with the Distributor.

Suggest you allow the Dealer to make the fix.

Document all the details, make a formal complaint to Toyota with all the details and the Dealer offered solution/execution.

Don't bother with the Distributor. They are likely just a warehouse or shipper who supply dealers, not consumers. Toyota would have leverage with the Distributor.

Taco 422 and wmb67 like this.
  18. Oct 24, 2021 at 7:50 AM
    That one old guy

That one old guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Vehicle:
    08 Base 4x4 2.7 Access 5spd
    Stockish
    Wire wheel/brush, rattle can, Fluid Film etc, move on...:burnrubber:

19. Oct 24, 2021 at 9:05 AM
    idriveabox

idriveabox Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2015 BRM SR5
    Can’t tell if this is a serious post. Clean it up and move on.

20. Oct 24, 2021 at 1:45 PM
    Lawaia808

Member:
    Thanks everyone! Yes, this is a real post, and figured I’d get flamed a bit. But it was an honest question by someone who doesn’t deal with this often, so pardon my ignorance.

idriveabox and SwollenGoat like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top