1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame rot got a passing grade.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Darkhawk, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Jan 24, 2016 at 7:59 PM
    Darkhawk

Darkhawk [OP] Member

Member:
    Ok,
    Longtime lurker. I used to hang out on Yotatech and TTORA when I wheeled, but I thought it would be better to try here.

I enjoyed my Toyota Tacoma and I sang its praises to anyone who asked, until I started getting recall letters. I wasn't very concerned until I moved my catalytic converter heat shield and found this:

[​IMG]
    I have owned 4 Toyota's spanning almost twenty years. I have been saving to purchase the new Tacoma next year after the first year bugs. No longer.

My frame somehow passed inspection even though you could see straight though it. (At a certain angle)
    I called Toyota Corporate the day it happened. (Also due to airbag light still being on after the spiral cable replacement) after my inspection.

They said that I must return to the same dealer for re-inspection.

So, while I was waiting on hold with the rep I picked through the crust of surface rust flakes with my FINGERS,to allow a better viewing angle of the hole. The hole is visible in my first picture taken before the inspection.
    This is what 3 mins of picking will do. The layers cracked like potato chips.
    [​IMG]

Went back to Modern Toyota and the inspector failed the frame and took pictures to get corporate approval. After showing him my "before"pictures taken before the first inspection he said, "I can't believe we missed this."

Now after a two-month phone tag with corporate call center folks, I am left with a rotten frame that they won't cover due to it "passing" inspection the first time.
    They put it back on the dealer who won't cover their mistake.

I guess picking at it with my mighty finger strength destroyed their frame. icon_smile_dead_608e36ba9f0c19c380f9187c65ef251d565aa115.gif

Not the rust that eating it like cancer.

I have timestamped photos disproving this, but the case rep didn't want to see it.

TLDR
    Check your frame Tacomas have an Achilles heel.
    Toyota corporate could care less about losing a twenty year customer.

(Edit: This is a 2006 or 2nd gen with 98000 miles)

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  2. Jan 24, 2016 at 8:02 PM
    Lawfarin

Lawfarin Who me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Beetle Juice
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra
    Didn't know the second gen had frame issues, don't think I've ever seen one in the shop. Always the first gens

3. Jan 24, 2016 at 8:03 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Theres actually more and more showing up and there is a frame replacement program underway for 2005-2008

Crom likes this.
  4. Jan 24, 2016 at 8:05 PM
    Darkhawk

Darkhawk [OP] Member

Member:

They had one on a lift being replaced when I went in the garage to show the tech the spot on the second inspection.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  5. Jan 24, 2016 at 8:16 PM
    Lawfarin

Lawfarin Who me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Beetle Juice
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra
    That sucks. Toyota bought back my buddies 95 in 06 or 07. My 2003 was in great shape and my buddies 04 was mint. I live in one of the salt capitals of the world, but I see way to many people who neglect their vehicles. I see people who never wash them. I always wash my truck multiple times throughout the winter. Spray my undercarriage and spray out the frames as much as I can. Kinda look at it like preventative maintenance. I'm not going to put faith in a manufacturer giving me a new frame down the road under an extended warranty coverage

6. Jan 24, 2016 at 8:17 PM
    ThunderCookies

ThunderCookies This is the Wait

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 Wolfpack Edition
    5100s at 2.5 setting up front 5100s with 2" AAL around back TC Uniball UCAs 285/70/17 Fierce Attitude M/T SCS Ray 10s 17” 14" Magnaflow w/3.5" Stainless Tip SOS aluminum armor front bumper SOS high clearance rear bumper Stealth grill light bar and pods 4" Westin Nerf Bars Weathertech in-channel visors Window tint Bed Mat Proven Ground Locking Roll-Up Tonneau Cover All-weather rubber floor mats Custom Wolfpack TRD Decal TOYOTA Vintage Tailgate Decal 4 Wheel Drive vintage decal Tailgate Anti-Theft Mod Bed Mat Anti-Theft Mod Sliding back glass Anti-Theft Mod Future Mods: Bedside bottle opener Bedside storage lock/key mod Bed pod lights
    Dang - I've got an 06. I just took mine in for the rust recall and it passed. I've been under and haven't seen anything suspicious like you've got. I'm in NC. Had the truck since April, and the previous owner was in SC/NC the whole life of the truck. Dealer told me most of the rust issues are up north where they deal with salt and snow more often. I was thinking of taking mine up to another dealership before the recall is over (March I believe) after the winter here (we got some snow this weekend) but if you are saying they will just fall back on my initial passing regardless of what another inspection may find then I won't waste my time.

Actually bought mine at a "Modern Toytota" (in Winston Salem) and I would never say anything good about them (i didn't take it there for the recall inspection). They were a bunch of dodos.

7. Jan 24, 2016 at 8:19 PM
    Bandit

Bandit I drive an old man truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR DC 4x4
    Stock 2021 Tacoma TRD OR ARE V series Camper Shell, RallyArmor mud flaps
    I had a similar problem and Toyota corporate told me to go to another dealership. Problem is when you get that pass on inspection they close your case. Just go to another dealership and start another case. I did that. I ended up waiting like 4-5 months for parts to come in and then about a month in a rental when my truck became unsafe to drive. I now have a new frame. Stay in the fight. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. My truck is a 2005 with 167,000 miles

Old School likes this.
  8. Jan 24, 2016 at 8:19 PM
    omega supreme

omega supreme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD sport,lb
    None
    Yep. Toyota quality sucks.

9. Jan 24, 2016 at 8:23 PM
    Darkhawk

Darkhawk [OP] Member

Member:
    In the first call I made the day after the inspection, I asked the same thing.
    I wanted to go somewhere else and the claim rep told me I had to stay with Modern Toyota, since they opened the case.

Worth a shot though. Thanks for the reply!

10. Jan 24, 2016 at 8:23 PM
    Ridgeline001

Ridgeline001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Sport 4wd
    Tag. Hope someone here can help you out.

11. Jan 24, 2016 at 8:24 PM
    Darkhawk

Darkhawk [OP] Member

Member:
    Ha, you found me. Thanks for the support and advice brother!

Ridgeline001[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Jan 24, 2016 at 8:24 PM
    Lawfarin

Lawfarin Who me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Beetle Juice
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra

They scale the frames, they have to be able to penetrate a small area I believe for it to fail. If it holds up then it will pass. It could pass and then fail 3 weeks later. I've seen some pretty bad ones where I live. Hammer blows right through parts of the frame

Hope the 3rd gens won't have the problem

13. Jan 24, 2016 at 8:25 PM
    Bandit

Bandit I drive an old man truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR DC 4x4
    Stock 2021 Tacoma TRD OR ARE V series Camper Shell, RallyArmor mud flaps
    Did you send the after pics to corporate?

14. Jan 24, 2016 at 8:27 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    Modern toyota as in the one here in nc? Vann York isn't any better, my frame has holes in it and they said they dont participate in the frame recslls unless its a huge hole. Mt. Airy said theyd replace it if it had a perferation and i said awesome because mine has a few holes and the lady made sure to inform me that they wont replace it for having holes, just perforations.

I am taking mine to greenville toyota in nc, ive always liked their dealer Lthough its a 3 hr trip

15. Jan 24, 2016 at 8:29 PM
    Darkhawk

Darkhawk [OP] Member

Member:

The second inspection pics would mirror the after picture. So, they had it.

Even in the first shot, you can see the hole if you look in the top under some of the crust. It was a little bigger than my finger, hence me being able to be through it in no time.

16. Jan 25, 2016 at 12:15 AM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    All vann york cares about are new car sales, when i was shopping for a 2gen they kept insisting 2gen manuals dont exist and tried talking me into an iverpriced trd pro they had

17. Jan 25, 2016 at 12:31 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    The only reason they want you to stay with the first dealer is because they want the work. The dealership is paid very well by Toyota to replace a frame. They are hoping that the frame replacement is approved and they can get the job.

Save some grief and just go to another dealer.

18. Jan 25, 2016 at 12:37 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    I am sure the dealers have to get paid for the labor at what ever rate is decided .

Auto Manufactures are the cheapest when it comes to paying dealers to do warranty work.

Depending on the job the lowest paid tech or lot person gets put on the job

Not like each dealer can pay 2 people just to swap frames

As far as a profit doubtful

19. Jan 25, 2016 at 12:45 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Toyota pays 40 hours to do a frame swap. Most techs can do it in half that time if they have a few under their belt. Dealers and techs like doing these jobs.

Snowman likes this.
  20. Jan 25, 2016 at 12:51 AM
    s brake

s brake Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Double cab short bed TRD
    While I was getting my frame inspected the techs told me that the only frame they had to replace at their dealership was on a truck that passed its initial inspection.

Products Discussed in

To Top