1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame rust perforation

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by T.R.Ritchie, May 5, 2008.

1. May 5, 2008 at 3:59 PM
    T.R.Ritchie

T.R.Ritchie [OP] New Member

Member:
    Huntsville Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Much dog hair on seats
    Have a 1997 Tacoma. Have just been informed that there is a rust problem with the frame of 1995 to 2000 vehicles. Can't seem to find any info on the Toyota Canada site. Have an inspection appointment tomorrow am @ Festing Toyota in Huntsville Ontaio Canada. What should I know? Are there any offical corporate communications on this matter? Love this truck, but don't wan't it to split in two on the highway. Would to like to get some direction on this problem.Thanks
    Tom

2. May 6, 2008 at 4:07 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
  3. May 8, 2008 at 9:51 AM
    Moneray

Moneray Member

Member:
    I too am from Ontario and took my truck in last Wednsday but have not heard anything back. Mt frame has a 4" long x 2" high hole in the frame under the cab so I assume they are trying to work out a price for my truck.

I must say though Toyota Canada has given me the run around and will not let you talk to the person actually doing the work. Nothing more frustrating than a customer relations person telling you they know nothing about it but "something is being done". Best of luck and if you need any info on the process let me know and I will tell you how I made out with Toyota.

Take care.

4. May 10, 2008 at 3:46 PM
    thenrie

thenrie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma, SR5, TRD, 2.7L (LEV), 4wd, 5sp m
    Magnaflow cat and cat-back exhaust, AFE Stage 2 cold-air intake system, 2.5" lift via Skyjacker leaf packs, Bilstein 5100s.
    Been a long time since I posted. Checking in and saw your question re frame rust. Yep. It's a problem in late 90's tacos. Toyota fixed it with the 2000. You will find the frame rust just forward of the front spring perches for the REAR springs, on both sides of the frame. It apparently occurs because of road salt that is sprayed up into the frame by the rear wheels and is trapped inside the frame at that point with no place to wash out. As the water evaporates, the salt stays and becomes more concentrated with each time you drive on wet, salted roads, eventually eating through the frame.

A temporary cure is to weld reinforcement plates to the frame. Better is to replace the rear frame clip with a rust-free one, sort of cut and paste from a vehicle with front damage. Best would be to replace the frame with a new one from Toyota for about $2500.

There are several old posts from about September 2007 that address this issue.

Sorry not to have good news for you.

TH

Wow, I should have read up a little before I posted. Take a look at the index and find the post about Toyota's offer to extend the warranty and repurchase vehicles with rust perforation!!! Better take my 2000 down and have it checked!

5. May 11, 2008 at 7:25 AM
    Moneray

Moneray Member

Member:
    Well I heard back from Toyota Canada and they are sure standing up to the plate with these rusted frames. I purchased my 99 reg, cab 4x4 TRD last October for $5000 and at the time it had 156K miles. When Toyota called I just about sh!t my pants laughing all the way to the bank. The guy told me they had concluded my truck qualified for the buy-back and offered me just over 3x's what I paid for it. Overall it was a great investment for me because after having the truck for only 9 months they offered me $16500 to buy back my truck...

This must be costing Toyota millions but they know it is cheaper then a law suit. I wonder what would have happened if a high profile lawyer got ahold of this before Toyota offered to buy back the trucks. hmmm... something to think about.

6. May 6, 2009 at 10:02 AM
    marcus1

marcus1 New Member

Member:
    Letter in the mail yesterday from Toyota Canada to repurchase a 97 tacoma with 350k+km for a little over $17,500. Bought the vehicle new, been a great truck and sad to see it go but the price is right.

Products Discussed in

To Top