1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame rust recall

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by markey, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Jan 29, 2016 at 12:49 PM
    sleepsinshed

sleepsinshed Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4x4
    I just bought some UCA's from the classifieds here just in case. No sense putting the crusty old ones back on a shiny new frame.

a.s. likes this.
  2. Jan 29, 2016 at 3:30 PM
    Markcal

Markcal Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm not posting this question to be judgmental of how well you maintained your Tacoma. I own a 2006 Tacoma too, which lived all it's life in salty Massachusetts, but mine passed the LSC, seeing photos like yours scare me. I was just curious if you washed the undercarriage regularly (once a month in summer and soon as possible after road salting), especially after snow storms or when roads were salted?

3. Jan 29, 2016 at 4:10 PM
    niit_train

niit_train Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    WV
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab
    No mods, just extra accessories. Realtree bug shield, vent visors, and a custom Realtree Hunter 4X4 Bully

I run it through an automatic wash every chance I get and do the undercoat wash. In hindsight, maybe I should have done it at the house more often. I'm just happy Toyota is standing behind their product.

4. Jan 29, 2016 at 7:11 PM
    rinker

rinker Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma TRD
    Stock
    I'm not sure how much spraying the frame of a vehicle helps prolong it's life against rust. I had a Jeep Wrangler with a lot of goodies on it and I washed it pretty much everyday or other day and because they show so much frame I always sprayed it off also. I always wondered if I was doing it more harm than good. Rust needs moisture to thrive and I was giving it plenty of that.

5. Jan 29, 2016 at 7:35 PM
    a.s.

a.s. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stack
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Silver '07 DCSB Sport
    KO2s/5100s/Eibachs/TRD
    Where are you going with this? Did the Jeep rust out or not?

A 10 year life span is ridiculous for any vehicle frame. A degradation that severe, one that requires the manufacturer to replace the frame at their cost, is obviously beyond the acceptable industry standard. I'm sure washing the undercarriage every time it's gotten road salt on it would help slow down the inevitable. So would spraying the undercarriage with a protectent, so would keeping it garaged during the winter months... in the end, none of it matters if you're working with a material that is compromised coming out of the factory.

With that said now that I have the new frame, I'm definitely paying more attention to how long I leave road salt on the truck. I'd like to retain some resale value when I sell it down the line so I'm not taking any chances.

Beaglesridefree likes this.
  6. Jan 29, 2016 at 7:56 PM
    rinker

rinker Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma TRD
    Stock
    I agree that the frames were a problem right from the factory and there probably was nothing anyone could do to save them. In fact it's probably better if it's rusted bad so it can fail the inspection. I don't know where I going with this, all I know is I just bought a 2005 with a brand new frame and I would like to keep it that way.

7. Jan 29, 2016 at 8:29 PM
    a.s.

a.s. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stack
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Silver '07 DCSB Sport
    KO2s/5100s/Eibachs/TRD
    I was sincerely curious about your Jeep. Just wanted to know if it rusted out despite the care you put into washing it? Good luck with the new Tacoma BTW.

8. Jan 29, 2016 at 10:47 PM
    Markcal

Member:
    Thanks for replying back and being honest. Before I bought my Tacoma, I owned a 1988 Nissan Hardbody 4x4 truck and really loved it for all but the last year of the 18 years I owned it. I know that I washed this Tacoma twice as often as the Nissan and know by the corrosion that I would never get 18 years out of this Tacoma. I just wish Toyota noted in the owners manual for people unfamiliar with the Tacoma frame rot, that applying an undercoating (like Fluid Film) is highly recommended as a preventive maintenance, seeing how previous year Tacoma's have a history of frame rot and were still being made by Dana.

I hope your frame replacement goes as planned, with no surprises either mechanically or financially. I have to say that Toyota does stand by their Tacoma, seeing how they are replacing frames on 11 year old trucks, when I doubt any other car company would step up like that.

Good luck,
    Mark

9. Jan 29, 2016 at 11:10 PM
    Markcal

Member:
    That was the reason I asked my question. One tip that I just read that seemed counter intuitive was, garaging a vehicle can cause corrosion to accelerate. A garage with poor air flow and higher humidity causes the vehicle to retain moisture and never fully dry, especially after a snow storm, when roads are salted, thereby accelerating corrosion. I know if I used Fluid Film from day one, that I would have a mostly rust free frame, if it is applied at least once a year. I think even in the 3rd generation of the Tacoma, the owners manual should advise people of the history of frame rot and tell them an undercoating like Fluid Film will possibly extend the frames life.

10. Jan 30, 2016 at 2:34 PM
    JeffSags

JeffSags Member

Member:
    So I've been following this thread for a long while now and have read nearly every one of the 1900+ posts. I just registered to ask the following:

The frame on my 05 was replaced. New 5100's and everything seemed to be going well. I've only had it back for 2 days and I realized, no 4WD. The dealership had my truck for 2 weeks. The 4WD worked fine when I brought it in. When I turn the dial, no light, no 4wd. 100,000+ miles on it. Did someone drop the ball when reassembling everything or is this a "coincidence"?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

11. Jan 30, 2016 at 3:01 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    ^No light? That's interesting. If the mechanic simply forgot to plug in an electrical connector at the front diff or T-case, I would expect a flashing 4WD indicator light.

12. Jan 30, 2016 at 3:37 PM
    Fitz235

Fitz235 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    Black '05 AC TRD Offroad 4WD
    - Bilstein 5100's Set to 1.75" - Wheeler's 2" AAL - Toytec 1/4" Driver's Side Spacer - ECGS Bushing - Powdercoated Tundra Wheels - 265/70/17 Toyo Open Country 2's - TRD Catback Exhaust - Access Lorado Tonneau - Factory Tube Steps - Jumper's Interior LED Map/Dome Lights - Pioneer AVIC 5100 NEX - Sony Speakers - Depo Black Tail Lights - Kleerz Third Brake Light - HomerTaco Satoshi Grill
    All the talk of undercarriage washing, and Fluid Film is all well, and good (I haven't used Fluid Film, but have always run the truck through a wash that has an undercarriage sprayer), but the most common failure point is by the cats. This is the boxed section, and by all appearances, looks like it's rusting from the inside out. As far as I can tell, it looks to me like a drainage issue. I don't know if Fluid Film would have stopped this, as it appears to start on the inside of the boxed section. The majority of my old frame didn't look bad for a 10 year old truck, it failed because of the area by the cats.

Is using Fluid Film a good idea? Sure. Not too sure it would have stopped this issue though.

13. Jan 30, 2016 at 3:55 PM
    JeffSags

JeffSags Member

Member:
    Thanks Ken.

Yeah I'm not sure if the 4WD just happened to crap out at exactly the same time the frame was done or it something wasn't properly reinstalled.

14. Jan 30, 2016 at 9:01 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Either drainage issue or the protective coating Toyota used inside the frame is not as good as the outside. In Oct 2014, I went to my local dealer and paid to have the inside of the frame sprayed with corrosion-protective compound. The mechanic used the same stuff as specified in the 1st-gen service campaign, minus the etchant. The mechanic used a thin hose with a spray nozzle attachment to reach inside the frame.

Fitz235 likes this.
  15. Jan 30, 2016 at 9:16 PM
    Beaglesridefree

Beaglesridefree Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma DBL cab 4x4 TRD Sport, Premium and Tech Pkgs

Fisrt, Welcome to the forum. I think you can be pretty certain that your 4WD problem is related to your frame install. Call your dealer ASAP to have them get it fixed. And please let us know the outcome.

16. Jan 31, 2016 at 2:41 AM
    Fitz235

Fitz235 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    Black '05 AC TRD Offroad 4WD
    - Bilstein 5100's Set to 1.75" - Wheeler's 2" AAL - Toytec 1/4" Driver's Side Spacer - ECGS Bushing - Powdercoated Tundra Wheels - 265/70/17 Toyo Open Country 2's - TRD Catback Exhaust - Access Lorado Tonneau - Factory Tube Steps - Jumper's Interior LED Map/Dome Lights - Pioneer AVIC 5100 NEX - Sony Speakers - Depo Black Tail Lights - Kleerz Third Brake Light - HomerTaco Satoshi Grill
    Probably a combination of the two. Having the dealer coat the inside is not a bad idea, I may look into this myself for the new frame. Did they use paraffin wax, or something else?

17. Jan 31, 2016 at 7:23 AM
    Armkb

Armkb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DCLB
    Bilstein 5100, OME 885X, LR UCA, ARB/EL095R, ES LCA Rack & Sway Bar Bushings, Yellow Wire Mod, ABS Switch, TPMS Mod, Scanguage, Toyota Bed Mat, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Extang Trifecta Cover, Fumoto Drain Valve
    I agree. I always garage my 09 but do not when it has been in rain. Leave it outside to dry then park in garage with a dehumidifier when needed. I spray yearly with mix of 30 weight oil and WD40 and have absolutely no rust. And yes I have checked behind the cats...nothing there. Granted I dont drive in snowstorms or when roads are drenched in brine....but do drive all winter in New York.

Markcal likes this.
  18. Jan 31, 2016 at 5:42 PM
    sea nymph

sea nymph Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC Off Road SR5 4x4
    Update - dropped my Tacoma off at the dealer on Thursday 1-28. Unsafe to drive so I got a loaner. I'm told 4 to 6 month wait :notsure:! Offered a Corolla or Camry, but I need a truck. They didn't have any so they set me up with an F150 4 door. Nice job on the dealers part, however, I'm really taking a liking to the F150. I "stole" my Tacoma from the dealer today to wash the salt off and did not like the ride at all! Hoping that changes with the frame or else I might be in the market for a Ford!

19. Feb 1, 2016 at 5:17 AM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 TRD 4x4
    Drop bracket lift and booger welds
    I gotta say I had one too and really liked it. Way too big for me for a trail rig/dd which mine is but for just a dd work truck I gotta say the ford impressed me.

20. Feb 1, 2016 at 6:00 AM
    PSUnick

PSUnick Lets Go State!

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2007 AC 4x4 Sport
    Dogaminator posted a scan of the dealer instructions for coating the frames. They are using NOX-RUST 712AM.

I coated the inside of my frame with 3M Rust Fighter using an Astro Gun and 3M Application Wand, and got the plugs listed in the dealer instructions. Note there are some errors in that version of the instructions.

Fitz235 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top