1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame rusted through club

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BlueT, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Jun 27, 2011 at 6:20 PM
    WV150

WV150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Trifecta Tonneau Cover
    Put an Anode on it.People who works with pipe corrosion will know what this means.

2. Jun 27, 2011 at 6:46 PM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    I pretty sure that only works with submerged pipe. There are a lot of scams out there promoting this as a rust preventative for automobiles, and I have yet to hear of one work.

Link

Link

Link

Frank

3. Jun 27, 2011 at 8:11 PM
    dtacow

dtacow Well-Known Member

Member:
    What's with all the a-holes on the forum? Bunch of effin know-it-alls who are probably 25 yrs old.

I'm not a metallurgist, but I'm pretty damn sure impurities in the metal can cause pitting "from within". I've looked at a lot of trucks and it seems to me some makes tend to pit and form holes whereas some makes seem to develop an even coating of rust and not necessarily rust through. I have nothing to back this up, but I look at alot of frames because I would like to know. I wish a metallurgist would chime in.

Toyota pickup frames are so light weight, it seems to me they can't afford to lose much metal to rust, I think Toyota can and should do a better job with protecting the frames.

I've seen this type of phenomenon on my trucks.

As a side note (not the type of rust the OP is seeing), think of all the rust that probably hides behind the pieces that are riveted to the frame. I regularly spray these areas with WD-40 or fluid film.

In my experience, POR-15 is pretty much crap. It flakes off in large pieces after a year. Rustoleum clean and rusty metal primer followed by rustoleum paint has worked well for me-- not that this helps with what the OP is seeing.

I like Toyotas, and own 2, but I'll need to see some improvement especially with this issue before I ever buy another.

My $0.02

4. Jun 27, 2011 at 8:17 PM
    dtacow

dtacow Well-Known Member

Member:
    OP, more pictures would help-- maybe one from further out for some perspective. There are some obvious trouble spots on this frame, #1 in my opinion is on the frame rail behind the gas tank.

Not that you should have to on a 2007, but obviously it could be cut out and have another piece of metal welded on.

I wouldn't however, I'd let it go and make Toyota fix it.

5. Jun 27, 2011 at 11:57 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    It's actually pretty amazing to me how many accept shit quality on a $30,000 vehicle. Thirty THOUSAND dollars, people. Do you realize how much money that is? Hey I get preventative maintenance. But my 86 4Runner? Bombproof. No preventative maintenance and after 24 years, all outside, 22 of them in the mountains, and never garaged all it had was surface rust. Ditto for my 81 Celica. My wife's 2005 Subaru? Zero frame rust zero preventative maintainance. 95,000 miles through rain and snow and mag chloride and salt. Ditto for our 1991 and 1992 Subarus. As for my 2010 Taco ... 7200 miles in 18 months (I obviously don't drive a lot) and I've already had to touch up rust on the frame twice. That's crazy. Don't accept mediocrity, people. Demand quality. Toyota HAS been and SHOULD be better than this.

6. Jun 28, 2011 at 3:12 AM
    burtonboards32

burtonboards32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    No big deal if the frame snaps while your doing 65mph down the interstate, drive off the road and crash with your child in the vehicle...150% of kbb is a great deal!!!

7. Jun 28, 2011 at 4:36 AM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    OK, I challenge OP to find a 4 year old daily driver in his area that has not had preventative treatment to it's frame and shows no sign of rust.
    Also I would like to know WHY you primered and painted the area.
    And last but not least why does there look to be a ground down weld on the left side? You can't say you ground it down for the picture because it is still painted.

8. Jun 28, 2011 at 5:07 AM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4
    One last time. All of you that say it is my responsibility to climb under the truck and grind the rust, and paint the damn frame, show me where in the fucking manual it says to do this and at what intervals. The wise engineers at Toyota worked with the wise attorneys at Toyota to make that book so that it details what you need to do as preventive maintenance to keep the truck on the road for years. 6-7 years is not years to all the dumb asses using the excuse it's an old truck. If you cannot show this in the manual you need to STFU, because what you are saying is not preventative maintenance as detailed by the manufacture.

9. Jun 28, 2011 at 5:27 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Buy something else, toyota sucks with rust, deal with it or get something else. End of story. Or take legal action. Otherwise it's just :jerkoff:

Not necessarily directed at the OP.

10. Jun 28, 2011 at 6:55 AM
    BlueT

BlueT [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    When I get home I will try to get pics of my Nissan. :rolleyes:
    Why I put primer and paint.
    Frame has not enough paint. My whole frame is redone like that. Area was cleaned wire brushed if had rust then primed and put industrial enamel paint on it.
    Difference between paint I used and undercoat is
    1) lots of more money because contains crap load of rust inhibitors.
    2) with paint I can see troublespots and reclean them, undercoating hides the rust until its too late (my 1 gen is prime example why undercoating is a fail)

Dont know where you see welds. This is area right behind pass side front wheel.

To those asking for more pics, I already primed and re-painted area until get word from Toyota. I am hoping with metal pitting I can get new frame, since this is no longer surface rust.
    Not going to grind the spot because most likely will lead to a hole in the frame then Toyota will simply claim its my fault.

11. Jun 28, 2011 at 7:15 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    I used to be on your bandwagon and I underercoated my 08 right off the lot and the paint is still rusting off with the undercoating...it comes from inside the frame where the undercoating missed. Just wait...you'll find it by the front cross member.

12. Jun 28, 2011 at 7:38 AM
    BlueT

BlueT [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    x2
    My 1gen truck was undercoated like a panzer tank. Still rusted then rotted underneath the undercoat. What undercoat did cover rust very well. So when rust finally showed up there were holes in the frame.
    I rather use my paint. It does not flake like POR15, costs less then POR15 and creates one of the toughest paint surfaces I had seen. Also it is easy to spot trouble spots, so rust can not stay undetected.

13. Jun 28, 2011 at 8:02 AM
    TheGreekIndian

TheGreekIndian Well-Known Member

Member:
    what kind of paint you use BlueT?

14. Jun 28, 2011 at 10:30 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    yes?

Subbed

15. Jun 28, 2011 at 4:30 PM
    TheGreekIndian

TheGreekIndian Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm going to try Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer...Pretty much if you have some rust(surface I imagine) this spray will stop the rust from spreading. After that dries, I'm going to apply some Rust-Oleum Professional Undercoating on top of that. Hopefully with this two combined to my complete undercarriage and wheel wells, I can prevent any and all rust from my new Tacoma.

Just an idea ya'll. In theory it sounds like it could work...

16. Jun 28, 2011 at 5:20 PM
    TacoSport

TacoSport opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.

Member:
    NE
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SSM Sport DCSB w/Tow
    Seems possible that when you prime and paint an area you are locking in mositure and that is causing the rust. Not sure where this part of the frame is, but water could be draining down from a vent area getting inside the frame and rusting through.

I once had a '67 Stingray (sob) and rust started on the drivers side frame rail about a dime size spot and quickly turned into a big hole. Turned out the water was coming in from the front wheel well and getting inside the joint in the rail. I found out later that this was a known problem with this car and a big job to fix. Point is, check for areas where water is getting in or review your priming and painting process.

17. Jun 28, 2011 at 6:32 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Am I totally crazy or the only one that has eyes? This frame has clearly been repaired. There's a damn hole in the frame on the left side where they didn't weld in the patch all the way.

And even if the frame has not been repaired; what the hell could you have done to that area to do that? Unless you have some magical paint made from animantium it wouldn't have made any difference. Clearly you've bottomed out/abused the truck on multiple occasions causing the coating that seems to be doing it's job in all other areas....to scrape off.

Really....what were you expecting? Use some common sense here.

18. Jun 28, 2011 at 8:05 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s

Does appear that way.

19. Jun 29, 2011 at 1:50 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I thought the exact same thing!

20. Jun 29, 2011 at 4:42 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    3 Pages and I can't believe no one else noticed this. It's like they find a problem with the truck and go apeshit realizing that Toyota may not have engineered an unstoppable force (no pun intended).

Products Discussed in

To Top