1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame Swap - need advice

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by FishinTaco, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Jul 7, 2011 at 1:32 PM
    FishinTaco

FishinTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D'Arcy
    Sudbury, ON
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 5spd
    5100's all the way around, OME 880's and AAL, BF's 265/75R16. Switched beds from Stepside to Fleetside
    I feel as though I'm getting a second chance. First was a 98' buy back, then bought a 2nd gen (not a huge fan), then went back to a 1rst gen, now new frame, sweet!

Anyway, my new to me 2002 just failed the frame test and I'll have a new frame in a few weeks.

Question is, for those of you that have had a frame swap, what did you get them to replace while it was apart? I'm thinking stuff like new billies (5100s) etc.. I've only got 110km on it, so I think it's early for a clutch or timing belt type stuff.

Any advice is much appreciated!

2. Jul 13, 2011 at 11:01 AM
    mark73

mark73 Noob :-/

Member:
    Poconos
    Vehicle:
    Green '02 TRD SR5 4x4
    Auto-Starter, 5-point harness rear seats, XM
    This sounds like my story. '98 buy back, then '02 frame swap. The swap took over 3 months, supposedly due to lack of parts. Was stuck w/Corolla through a very snowy winter. Hope this doesn't happen to you.
    I just had them replace a leaky water pump and they did the timing belt (130k) while they were in there. (1/2 off labor.)
    The swap includes all parts attached to the frame. Leaf springs, brake lines, mounts, etc. Now mine rides like a new truck. Everything is tight.
    You can't go wrong w/upgraded suspension parts. Do it if you can afford it. Free Labor!

3. Jul 14, 2011 at 6:40 AM
    FishinTaco

FishinTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D'Arcy
    Sudbury, ON
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 5spd
    5100's all the way around, OME 880's and AAL, BF's 265/75R16. Switched beds from Stepside to Fleetside
    Thanks Mark, I bought the 2002 kind of knowing and hoping it would fail. It's a super tight truck look forward to owning a brand new 2002 taco. It sits a little low for a taco, so with new leafs bringing the rear up a bit, I'll do the suspension I think.

Thanks for the response.

D.C

Products Discussed in

To Top