1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fridge, solar, battery help!!!

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Mikelax20, May 8, 2018.

1. May 8, 2018 at 9:26 AM
    Mikelax20

Mikelax20 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Salida, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 Supercharged Sport
    Supercharger, trd exhaust, short shifter, OME Lift, RCI Skids, 33's, trd sport rims, CB, are topper.
    I am trying power the fridge in the bed of my truck. I have off-Grid eng dual battery parts and am currently planning on wiring the optima to the odyssey in the bed right behind the fridge. I then was thinking of mounting the solar on my topper just above the fridge and wiring it into the battery in the bed. I have no wiring experience so my question is, does this sound like it will work? Or should I just run the solar to the battery in the bed and rely purely on the solar. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Truck battery- Yellow top group 27F deep cycle
    Fridge Battery- Odyssey 31-PC2150S battery 100ah
    ARB 63 qt fridge -Average DC power consumption: 0.7 to 2.3 amp hr.
    ZAMP 100watt solar kit - ZS-US-100-30A-DX

2. May 16, 2018 at 8:18 AM
    Mikelax20

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Salida, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 Supercharged Sport
    Supercharger, trd exhaust, short shifter, OME Lift, RCI Skids, 33's, trd sport rims, CB, are topper.
    No solar people?

3. May 16, 2018 at 10:09 AM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    Retired electrical engineer here. I looked at the specs on your solar kit. I would expect it to be marginal in real life if the fridge load is close to the higher end. It is supposed to generate 6 amps. That is probably under ideal conditions--full exposure to the sun at the proper collector angle. Cloudy or stormy days will reduce the output significantly. It will have to recharge the battery after overnight usage in addition to running the fridge. My personal preference would be to use a propane fridge with optional 110 volt input for when it is available.

That is my guess--it might work ok for you. Good luck.

4. May 16, 2018 at 6:11 PM
    Mikelax20

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Salida, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 Supercharged Sport
    Thank you for the reply.

5. May 23, 2018 at 9:19 AM
    F34Rnnr

F34Rnnr Member

Member:
    Check out Overland forums. You should be fine for most trips with this setup. 100ah second battery with a 100w solar will power your fridge no problem. The fridge is only probably pulling 1 amp per hour average (it’s not running all the time). More than this with what you’ve got would be overkill. Seriously check out some overlandkng forums, there are guys that can sit indefinitely with your setup running. Add in a day of driving to your next campslot every now and again and you’ll be fine. For short trips (weekend-week) with a 100ah spare battery id say a 60w panel would be fine.

6. May 23, 2018 at 9:20 AM
    F34Rnnr

F34Rnnr Member

Member:
    Where is the Odyssey mounted? Under hood or in the bed?

Products Discussed in

To Top