1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Friendly tacoma buying advice?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Emeraldlion, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Oct 6, 2015 at 12:06 PM
    Emeraldlion

Emeraldlion [OP] Member

Member:
    Mckinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '04 TDC TRD
    Hey all, I am going to ask for some opinions and advice because I am truly stuck. I have had my '04 prerunner DC OR for a couple of years now and have LOVED it. It has been the perfect truck for someone who had all small cars previously. Both year however, we have had significant ice, and it does get a bit touchy. I also really enjoy camping and although my son is only 3 I can see us doing some outdoors stuff as he gets older, so I have recently been looking at buying a 4wd version. Looking at the 2001-2004 DC 4x4s, the prices are a touch on the crazy side, when you can locate one. So I have been toying with the idea of the 2nd gen as they are not too much more for a newer truck with a little more room. Don't like the styling quite as much but don't dislike it. Where is everyone on this? I don't want this to be a 1st vs. 2nd. thread, but with the above considerations would you continue to scout that good deal on a 1st or move on and go with a 2nd gen with some reasons if you please. Thanks! (sorry to give everyone homework but I thought I would reach out.)

2. Oct 6, 2015 at 1:00 PM
    LocknLoad

LocknLoad Well-Known Member

Member:
    near the Cherohala Skyway, TN
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Off-Road 4x4
    If you compare similar styles - say extra cab for example - there is very little difference between my 2000 extra cab and a 2015 extra cab. The bed is deeper, but no bigger. Interior is basically the same in every measurable dimension. Biggest difference in the new trucks (2nd gen) is theyre eight inches wider, 2 inches taller, and 6 inches longer. Remember through, that extra width doesn't show up in the interior dimensions. As a 4x4, new trucks also have nearly 3 inches less ground clearance, I suspect in an attempt to make the truck more aerodynamically efficient (stop laughing) and improve mileage.

As MWC said, it's mostly electronics, and well, it's newer. I have another vehicle coming off a lease and in an effort to consolidate vehicles, have considered turning that in, selling my 2000 and getting a new one, but honestly, I can't come up with a good reason to do that.

If you identify the options you want in a 1st Gen, start looking. Don't buy someone else's problems, find one that's been well cared for, high mileage is fine if the owner took care of it. The more you want specific things (regular cab, extra cab, 4x4, TRD, color, auto or manual) - the more you need to be prepared to look for awhile. It took me almost a year to find the one I bought.

Good luck

3. Oct 6, 2015 at 3:12 PM
    Emeraldlion

Emeraldlion [OP] Member

Member:
    Mckinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '04 TDC TRD
    That is good to know. I was actually looking for slightly more interior space and slightly greater tow capacity. Only started considering the 2nd gen recently, and hadn't yet measured interior space. I may have to look into that.

4. Oct 7, 2015 at 7:30 PM
    deckeda

deckeda Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '04 Double Cab PreRunner SR5
    With your ice down there, before I invested in 4WD I'd invest in a spare set of rims and quality winter tires, perhaps studded. My money would be on YOU, not your neighbor's 4WD, getting around better.

I don't see how a newer Tacoma is going to offer more meaningful room. Make the leap to a full size truck in that case and call it good.

Products Discussed in

To Top