1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

From Cold air intake to Deck plate mod

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 99tacosupreme, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Oct 1, 2010 at 2:49 PM
    99tacosupreme

99tacosupreme [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    1999 Black V6 PreRunner TRD
    Pioneer Headunit, Infinity Kappa 6.5" speakers, Alpine Type R sub with Alpine M500 amp, 15% Tint up front 5% in the back, Deckplate mod, Debadged, Bilstien 5100s, Wheelers 1.5"AAL, DDM 55w 6k Lights
    So about 3 months ago, I bought a K&N CAI off a buddy of mine for really cheap and intalled it my self.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and for a while I was pretty happy with it. It sounded really agressive and deep but I never really noticed any power gains at all but I am also no expert. As far as fuel economy goes there was no change what so ever. I know the majority on tacomaworld are against cold air intakes and I had actually bought the materials to do the deckplate mod about two weeks before getting the CAI but never got around to doing it. So with my deckplate and old air box just sitting on the floor, I decided to put it together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Since I had read multiple good reviews and at least one dyno sheet praising the results of the deckplate mod, I decieded to give it a try. Also I had kinda gotten tired of the constant sound of the K&N intake even while cruising.

[​IMG]

Putting the stock intake back on

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall I am leaning towards the deckplate mod over the K&N intake. Its quieter but still noticable once you give it some throttle. Its the same if not better throttle response then the CAI. And its $200 cheaper. As far as fuel economy goes I havent had it in long enough to see yet but ill post it later. So if your on the fence between a CAI and the deckplate mod, I would sugest definatly trying the Deckplate first and saving your money, but thats just MHO.

2. Oct 1, 2010 at 4:01 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I've posted this on a couple other threads, but I found the same thing as you, went from CAI to deckplate and definitely prefer the deckplate. No change in performance, if anything the deckplate is actually better. I really don't know why anybody would ever pay the money for a CAI, such a waste.

3. Oct 1, 2010 at 5:24 PM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    After doing the Deck Plate Look into the Airaid Modular Intake Tube. M.I.T, It was made to work with the stock intake box

4. Oct 1, 2010 at 6:24 PM
    00tactrouble

00tactrouble Active Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota tac prerun
    New Dakota A/T tires in 31x10.50-15", 2 coat Rhino Liner on the the bed, Mossy Oak package interior, 8" bazooka system pumping my jams, Platinum system plugs underneath the hood with Gates belts keeping it turning, 6" deckplate mod and amsoil is keeping this thing lubed year around.
    Would a six inch deckplate fit the air box? I was not sure if to purchase the 4-6, I was going out this weekend (I hope) but would like to know before I purchase.

5. Oct 1, 2010 at 8:39 PM
    99tacosupreme

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Pioneer Headunit, Infinity Kappa 6.5" speakers, Alpine Type R sub with Alpine M500 amp, 15% Tint up front 5% in the back, Deckplate mod, Debadged, Bilstien 5100s, Wheelers 1.5"AAL, DDM 55w 6k Lights
    Well I used a 4inch on mine. Im sure you could fit a 5 inch but a 6 would definatly be pushing it. but you should just measure it on your air box.

6. Oct 1, 2010 at 8:41 PM
    99tacosupreme

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Oh and , anyone want to buy a K&N Cold Air intake? haha

7. Oct 1, 2010 at 10:33 PM
    zero4

zero4 Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Donahoe CO, Donahoe Rear Resi, Deaver J59, 16" Pro Comp, 33" BFG AT, Hayden Trans Oil Cooler, Oil Filter Relocator, FM 40, ES Bushings, Beefed CB Drop, Deckplate, K&N Drop-In, DO Bed Bar, Cobra 75 WXST, Firestik Firefly, Philips D1R, Clarion Remote Start, Husky Liners
    Good choice. When I got my truck it also had a K&N FIPK on it. One of the first things I did was take it off & got me a stock intake & did the deckplate mod. I did it only because the FIPK system sucks in dirt & sand.

8. Oct 2, 2010 at 5:57 PM
    00tactrouble

00tactrouble Active Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota tac prerun
    New Dakota A/T tires in 31x10.50-15", 2 coat Rhino Liner on the the bed, Mossy Oak package interior, 8" bazooka system pumping my jams, Platinum system plugs underneath the hood with Gates belts keeping it turning, 6" deckplate mod and amsoil is keeping this thing lubed year around.
    Well I used a 4inch on mine. Im sure you could fit a 5 inch but a 6 would definatly be pushing it. but you should just measure it on your air box.

Cool, thanks for the info. I went to my local marine shop today after my time trial and found a 6in and 4". I purchased both and came home and started the mod, I installed the 6" and man does it look cool. The sound is crazy too, I was able to notice better throttle response and shifting patterns. I am happy with the upgrade, thanks for the help and good luck selling your K&N.

Products Discussed in

To Top