1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front brake pad replacement question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by syncroguzzi, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Sep 9, 2011 at 8:03 PM
    syncroguzzi

syncroguzzi [OP] New Member

Member:
    First post, read many threads and used the pad replacement sticky to help me do my first pad change at 49,000 miles tonight.

When I changed the pads I pressed the pistons in with a wood dowel, after I first got them moving I was able to push them with my fingers - is that bad? Does that mean there is a problem? Other than that it went well, the pads I bought at autozone didn't come with shims so I resused the factory ones that were on there.

I couldn't see in the plug on the rear drums for adjustment - do you just feel for the adjuster with a screwdriver?

also what is the proper torque for the driveshaft bolts?

thanks, you guys are a great resource.

2. Sep 9, 2011 at 9:05 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    Usually pistons are pretty difficult to push in the entire way and require the use of a clamp. As for the rear drums, making the adjustment is pretty easy but a pain in the ass to get your head up in there. The oval hole at the top of the drum next to the leaf springs is what you want to pop open. Use a flat screw driver to move the little sprocket in there. They are auto adjusting, but may need adjustment from time to time if seized. I had this problem myself. It's best that you use a flash light to make sure what your moving. Hard to mess up but not easy to get right if you can't see what your doing. The lug nuts should be torqued to 85lbs.

Products Discussed in

To Top